Esteemed Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

OP,

Thanks for warning us!

This is why I NEVER use DEBIT, but use a charge card (my bank said that they will only cover  fraud from my credit card, not debit ... unless the culprit is caught ... that's comforting~~!

------------------------------------

I never use my DEBIT either. Was told by a banking person, it is much better to use credit card...easier to reconcile any fraud!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: My identity was stolen!

[ Edited ]
Ashame this happened to you. At least it was caught early. I froze my credit because I'm afraid of theft also. There are other ways they can get you. You always have To be aware.
Honored Contributor

Oh dear!  So sorry this happened to you.  It seems to be very simple to do these days.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My identity was stolen!

[ Edited ]

@corita @seaBreeze

That is not correct. I have had my Debit/visa Symbol card compromised. The money was put back into my account the next day while the bank conducted their investigation. My bank told me that they both offer the same protections when it comes to fraud.

Contributor

My debit card is treated exactly  (maybe better)  like a visa card.

Last year at Christmas time I noticed 3 spurious charges - I check my bank account daily. 

I went to my bank and notified them of the problem  One of the charges was to a dating club called Black People Meet.  I am 81 and white.  After all the staff at the bank stopped laughing, they refunded the 3 spurious charges which took effect the following day.  A few days later I was sent some papers to sign (from the bank's fraud dept.) and that was the last time I heard about the fraudulent charges.

Becase my card was a debit card I could check activiy frequently online and easiyl.  So debit cards seem to be better or equal to regular charge cards in my opinion and experience.

Honored Contributor

MIMA, I am so sorry this happened to you.  I had my Amex card hijacked about two months ago.  They were great in notifying me (since it happened overnight I didn't even get the message that something was charged to my card) but the replacement card with the upgraded security chip has been a nightmare.  If I go to a store that is new to my pattern (even though it is within say 3 miles of my house) they decline it.  It is so embarrassing.  Please know I do appreciate the extra vigilance but still . . . .

I know I need to call and see if there is something that can be done but to be honest I will be switching over to Amazon's Visa next year when Costco cuts over.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your sympathy.  I was literally sick to my stomach yesterday.  Thankfully Sears is on the ball!

The Transunion is suppose to be sending me a packet and a paper to sign and send back. 

My husband hates credit cards and he said that's why I don't use them.  I had to explain to him it wasn't credit card info. that they stole.  They had my personal info. to apply for credit cards.

I can't believe they only tried once.  I hope more don't come rolling in!

It has been educational.  I am going to go online and delete all my saved credit cards even though that isn't really the same thing that happened to me.

It CAN happen to anyone!!!!

Thanks all!

Respected Contributor

You need to go this this website and follow the guidance, most importantly, the filing with the FTC.  This is necessary as your SS# can still be used and you need to go on file that your identity was stolen.  This happened to me and I made a formal record of it.  Also, someone may still be using your ID and they may get arrested and use your name or they may file bankruptcy in your name, etc.  I don't want to alarm you too much, but these are real possibilities.

Also, you need to get updated copies of your Credit Report on a regular basis and then update any false information, i.e., that address in CA that the items were order under MAY show up on your CC report as an alternative address---you don't want that.  It happened to me---there was an alternate address in GA and I live in MA---and there was also an alias last name associated with my credit in my Credit Report!

You've taken some appropriate steps but you still need to do more.

By the way, I am an attorney.

https://www.identitytheft.gov/

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@corita @seaBreeze

That is not correct. I have had my Debit/visa Symbol card compromised. The money was put back into my account the next day while the bank conducted their investigation. My bank told me that they both offer the same protections when it comes to fraud.

I agree, icezeus.  My debit card has also been compromised and it was treated exactly the same as a credit card.  It's important people have the correct info on these issues.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

Thank you so much.  I will go to that website and do that.  Wow!