Esteemed Contributor

Re: My husband is worried about our roof

I am sorry Cherry and others going through this. I understand how you feel! I hope that your house will be ok. My neighbors started again after 5, but tonight they stopped at 9:50! I wonder if the cops told them last night when it was almost midnight, not to do it after 10 tonight? Still they were illegal fireworks but no one seems to care. Ashes were hitting our deck and trees. I was worried too. I hope this does not go on all Summer for you and me both.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Here too, my poor Lab is really stressed, also illegal here but it goes on & on
Esteemed Contributor

I'm really sorry for all those with animals who suffer so.  When I was under 5, my grandmother's terrier became so frightened she somehow got out of their house and ran 3/4 of the way across San Francisco to the 4-plex where we lived, because it had an accessable dirt basement, where she was found 3 days later, hovering in the dark.  (My grandparents owned the building.)

Honestly, I've given this a lot of thought and think that some how we're going to have to limit firecrackers and fireworks.  I'm all for municipal displays on holidays and the like, but strongly believe that world-wide this is a source of placing chemicals in the air that we'd be better off without.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Like you, I used to worry about my wood roof being affected by fireworks in our street.

We finally had the roof replaced about ten years ago and now have a tile roof.  I don't worry so much anymore with a spark setting off a fire on the roof.

I hope your home will be safe.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why all the worrying about roofs? I don't remember reading or hearing about roofs on fire from home fireworks displays. Fact the have many Gucci Pro Displays for years here with homes all around, and I have not heard a report of 1 roof fire.

The noise part I get, the fire on the roof?  Not so much!

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I've never heard of anyone keeping watch about their roof possibly catching fire?? A little overeaction I think. I do feel sorry for the animals that get stressed out over the noise. But for a few people celebrating by shooting off fireworks? Nope, I totally enjoy it! Smiley Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My hubby wet our roof down with the hose...I don't know if it does any good..

A neighbor on my Mom's street had some kind of firework that shot through the window on his shed and it caught on fire a couple years ago...

Honored Contributor

I don't think keeping watch for roof fire is overreaction at all. We have a giant second story balcony with wood plank decking. Every year the whole deck winds up with leftover parts of fireworks. We hose it down all night. In the morning, our street is littered with fireworks remnants.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope everyone got through all right. 

I returned from a July 4th party back when my roof was new, and there was an expended rocket sticking out of it!  I should have been home worrying about it.

Last night I was intent on making arrangements for a trip in December and sort of tuned out the noise.  My cats' phobia is low-pressure systems (tropical storms and hurricanes).  One of my cats especially becomes rigid with terror.  Fireworks put them on the alert, but not too badly.

So I finished my planning, got in the shower and . . . heard what sounded like a huge slamming of the front door.  For a bad 10 seconds or so, til I remembered what my neighbors are like on the 4th, I wondered who had forced their way into the house. (Tony Perkins with an ax?) Of course, then I remembered. It had been quiet for an hour, but this was a late detonation. Today I found the shell of a neighbor's mini-bomb, which went off just outside my bathroom window. 

I hope everyone's dogs and cats are happier this AM.  We will continue to have fireworks (but fewer and more scattered) for the next week, though.

Honored Contributor

The roof on our house that caught fire from fireworks years ago was cedar shingles - I believe those roofs are illegal now a days and roofs must be made of fireproof materials.