Esteemed Contributor

Re: My hospital Covid admissions down to 167 across 8 hospitals!

Texas numbers are jumping up and San Antonio numbers DOUBLED between 06/01 and 06/17.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

Of course they are not down.

@Drythe, why do you say that?  Hospitilizations in Ohio are down.  Yesterday in the entire state we had 1 new hospitilization.  

@Lipstickdiva 

In my state we are having difficulty getting the reagent.

So, the number of tests has NOT increased.

Nevertheless, the ratio of Positive Results to total tests that are being done has Doubled.

Last I checked there are 7 or states seeing this spike. 

Number of hospitalizations does not measure number of new cases.  Some cases of COVID don’t require hospitalization, even so, the person who doesn’t need admission can transmit it to someone who does need to be admitted.  It seems to vary so much.  We just had two elementary students and a 27 year old die this week.  All previously healthy, no existing problems. 🙁

Glad for your good news!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty  I just read that Arizona is at a high for ICU beds, at 83 percent filled.  

I hope people will continue social distancing and mask wearing to reduce transmission.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp  Thanks snoop for thinking of us,  Yes, we are maskers here in California  you know us, we ward off a light chemical dust in glassware, we are not going to take something like covid less than head on.  People are getting on with it, although we are not in phase 3, whereI live.  But be assured everyone is masked up, even gloved and we always social distance. I haven't ventured out but once, but temps are taken before entrance to medical buildings, questions are asked and amount of people in one office is monitored.

the new thing here is original masks.  Although myself I love paper masks, I did buy one wit insert, and the coolest beach scene on it

Honored Contributor

Our governor tested positive for Covid and still won't wear a mask.  The VP and senators have been in our state lately and refuse to wear masks. They make people take off their masks. Why people comply with that baffles me.  

The majority of people here don't wear masks so every carrier of covid sends microscopic bits of everything into the air to be breathed in by others.  

Our state's curve never flattened before reopening so numbers just keep climbing. 

Valued Contributor

I just read that the Montgomery Advertiser in Alabama reported on a City Council meeting two days ago where a group of doctors testified in support of Mayor Reed’s proposal to require a mask in public when in groups of 25 or greater for 30 days until their spike was under control. The doctors warned that they were at almost full capacity with 200+240 covid pts half of whom were on vents. They said so many mistakes had been made already but this was one positive step they could take. Sadly, the order failed in a 4-4 vote and the doctors streamed out in disgust. The conservative board memebers who voted against the measure said it was a matter of personal liberty.

This reminds me of a meme I saw recently.

1961 JFK Inaugural Address. “ we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe...”

2020 Masks are too hot, I want my mani/pedi, I want to eat at Cracker Barrel.

Honored Contributor

Given the size of the Covid-19 virus and the relative ineffectiveness of masks in stopping particles of that size, you can make a decent argument that the masks are more symbolic than effective. You have people wearing almost anything as a mask. Go out shopping, or even just sit in the parking lot and watch other shoppers coming and going, and you'll see everything from knitted scarfs to bandanas to medical masks being worn.

"Oh, but the experts say they'll work!" Eh, okay. Maybe they will. I wear a mask when I go shopping, but I wouldn't panic if someone else wasn't. Given the wide variety of things being used as masks, I seriously question the overall effectiveness of masks. Is someone's knitted scarf really an effective barrier to Covid-19?

Politicians love to "do something," and making people wear masks is "doing something," but given the masks people are wearing, it's not unreasonable to question the effectiveness of the orders. They aren't banning people from wearing masks so those who want to protect themselves can do so, if they feel a mask is effective, but not forcing people to do something that's likely ineffective, shouldn't really be an issue.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman I have to agree with you...basically if you can breathe while wearing a mask, the virus can get through.  I think the idea is to help keep some of the larger droplets from getting through so I have mixed feelings about it. 

That said I'm still wearing a mask when I go out.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 

I wear a mask too, but when you see what some are wearing as "masks" you really start to wonder how effective the rules are. I take my sister-in-law shopping a couple of times a month. She's a very slow shopper, so I end up waiting for her in the car. In the hour or so I'm sitting there watching shoppers coming and going with their "masks" and how they wear them, it's not ideal. Anyone who thinks mandatory masks will end Covid-19 should find a busy shopping center and park there watching people coming and going and what they're wearing as masks. They'll pretty quickly realize masks aren't the answer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@haddon9 

I wear a mask too, but when you see what some are wearing as "masks" you really start to wonder how effective the rules are. I take my sister-in-law shopping a couple of times a month. She's a very slow shopper, so I end up waiting for her in the car. In the hour or so I'm sitting there watching shoppers coming and going with their "masks" and how they wear them, it's not ideal. Anyone who thinks mandatory masks will end Covid-19 should find a busy shopping center and park there watching people coming and going and what they're wearing as masks. They'll pretty quickly realize masks aren't the answer.

All you will "quckly realize" is that crappy masks do a crappy job.  But "a case could be made" that even a crappy mask is better than no mask at all.

Saying "Eh" to science which has shown masks to be part of an effective strategy to mitigate the spread just makes some people toss the mask, thus making the problem worse.

Viruses travel via respiratory droplets (surely you have read this in numerous places), and a mask helps keep the droplets from reaching another person.