Honored Contributor
On 9/11/2014 NC Bandwagon said:

That's a bit weird. How in the world can a robo call mimic a phone number someone already has? {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Hi, NC Bandwagon!

It's cheap software.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Nomorobo isn't available everywhere yet. I have a phone/internet/cable bundle with Comcast & tried signing up for nomorobo a few weeks ago. It's not available in my area (Denver).

I know some people can't stand to just let the phone ring. I used to be that way, but got over it years ago when all the phone scamming first started.

My phone has audible Caller ID, so I can hear who's calling without having to go look at the phone. If I'm watching tv, the name & number also appear on the tv screen. I have programmed my phone with a musical ringtone when calls come in from people I do want to talk to.

Now if only I could eliminate the political ads on tv!

Honored Contributor

Rachel is so friendly and generous.

Honored Contributor
Rachel has been calling here a lot too, plus we are receiving numerous political calls daily in light of our upcoming election in November. I rely solely on caller ID, so 90% of our calls go to voicemail.
Super Contributor

There has to be a difference between robo calls and a call that depicts your husband's cell phone number. That is not a robo call.

If some telemarketer called me using my husband's phone number I'd stay on the line, play along and get as much information as I could. Then, I'd call the company back and let them have it.

Honored Contributor

I walked in the door a few weeks ago to a message on my voicemail. It sounded important enough that I thought I should call them back.

I called the number and someone barely speaking English told me that I was calling the IRS, they had determined I had filed fraudulent tax returns for several years and owed several thousands of dollars in taxes. I had to either pay immediately or the "authorities" were going to be at my house in 30 minutes to arrest me. All my bank accounts were going to be seized, my property sold, my house liened, blah, blah, blah.

At the end of his spiel he asked me if I had anything I wanted to say. I told him to please send the authorities in 20 minutes because I had stuff going on. He asked if I thought it was funny and I told him I thought it was sad that this is how he tried to make money and he wasn't getting a credit card from me to pay these supposed taxes because I know this isn't how it works. I hung up on him.

About 7:00 that night, the same number showed up so I picked it up and it sounded like the same guy asking for DH. I told him he'd already called earlier and tried to scam me and to move on. He started screaming at me and I just laughed and hung up.

Super Contributor

Today is 9/11 and just a few minutes ago I got a call from 'Washington DC.' He identified himself as being from some kind of veterans charity. I apologized and told them we just had a death in the family and that I wouldn't be able to contribute today. I don't know if he was legit or not but should even they solicit on a day like this? I don't know.

Honored Contributor
On 9/11/2014 KathyPet said: Caller ID said it was DH's cell so I answered it. Nope, it was my friend Rachel from Card Services giving me my last,chance to lower my interest rate on my credit card. Have you ever looked at the amount of Federal,Taxes of different types on your phone bill? It is outrageous and yet the robo callers stay one step ahead of our government managing to continually outwit them.

The keys words I underlined above. Certain entities are very adept at doing things while others are not. Let someone in Silicon Valley keep this from happening not someone in, you know where. I could mention a certain roll out and how well it went, not! Why? Pretty simple answer, hire people that don't know what the heck they are doing, and?

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Most of you probably already do this, but it's helpful (and sometimes a time saver) to let the calls go to voicemail and then plug the caller ID number and/or the name in your search engine. Most are reported in the websites 800notes.com, whocallsme.com and I think there's another one with a similar name.

You'd be surprised how many of them already have been reported (and the comments can be funny, instructive, or sometimes not exactly PG rated.{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

After 3 rings our lovely callers go directly into our fax machine. As one could imagine we don't get many calls anymore. Just a note......we do not keep paper loaded in the fax machine, this wards off advertisements via that route too.

Everyone important to us knows our cell numbers.