Super Contributor

I got one of those Jamaican Publisher Clearing House scam calls yesterday and the only reason I gave them more than a second before hanging up was because I had gotten at least two what looked to be legit entry forms from them in the mail recently which I threw away and I was napping when the phone rang.

When I answered she asked for me by name, told me I was a winner and they'd be sending me some registered mail, went on a minute about some of their magazine titles and then wanted to verify my address WHICH SHE READ TO ME then she asked which credit card I used most and at that point I said that I wasn't comfortable with this and hung up and came to the computer to google and sure enough there is a scam out of Jamaica.

I have my phone through a cable bundle and I pay an extra $5 per month for an unlisted number. I don't believe in the DO NOT CALL list either.

Respected Contributor

I don't answer if I don't know who it is, though I find it alarming that they managed to get your husband's # to show on your caller ID.

I had to laugh the other day when I was checking messages & got the tail end of a message about some medical device they were holding for me. Their machine was talking to my voice mail. HA!

Honored Contributor
On 9/11/2014 kaybee said:

I got one of those Jamaican Publisher Clearing House scam calls yesterday and the only reason I gave them more than a second before hanging up was because I had gotten at least two what looked to be legit entry forms from them in the mail recently which I threw away and I was napping when the phone rang.

When I answered she asked for me by name, told me I was a winner and they'd be senting me some registered mail, went on a minute about some of their magazine titles and then wanted to verify my address WHICH SHE READ TO ME then she asked which credit card I used most and at that point I said that I wasn't comfortable with this and hung up and came to the computer to google and sure enough there is a scam out of Jamaica.

I have my phone through a cable bundle and I pay an extra $5 per month for an unlisted number. I don't believe in the DO NOT CALL list either.

Hi, kaybee. An unlisted number won't help with these calls because they don't target specific numbers. They have no idea who they're calling in 99.9% of the cases.

As I said, this has nothing to do with the DNC Registry. The robocaller's computer scrolls through random numbers hoping someone will answer.

If you do answer, you've just been "marked" as an active phone number, and you'll get more calls as a result.

As our security officers at the hospitals say, the first 3 rules with numbers you don't recognize (or that look odd, like your own number calling yourself):

1--Do not answer, and do not return the call.

2--Do not answer, and do not return the call.

3--Do not answer, and do not return the call.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

(btw: kaybee, Since you have a phone through your cable service, you likely will qualify for the free Nomorobo blocking service.)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

The problem is they can make it look like it is coming from your own neighborhood.

Example suppose my number is 954-1234 . Caller ID shows 954-2179. It looks like it could be a call from my city, street, or neighborhood.

Respected Contributor
On 9/11/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 9/11/2014 scotttie said:

What I can't believe is that there are still people out there who fall for that scam. But it must work because those scumbags keep finding new ways to get us to pick up the phone.

Hi, Scottie! I know. Just think what they could accomplish if they used the same brain power toward something useful. Guess that doesn't occur to con artists ... {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

EXACTLY!

Honored Contributor

The problem is they can make it look like it is coming from your own neighborhood.

Example suppose my number is 954-1234 . Caller ID shows 954-2179. It looks like it could be a call from my city, street, or neighborhood.

True, but why not let it go to voicemail? I know everyone's different, but it doesn't bother me to do that, particularly if I don't know the specific number.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

True, but why not let it go to voicemail? I know everyone's different, but it doesn't bother me to do that, particularly if I don't know the specific number.

I don't like to listen to the phone ring. I'd rather answer it and get it over with.

Super Contributor
On 9/11/2014 kaybee said:

When I answered she asked for me by name, told me I was a winner and they'd be senting me some registered mail, went on a minute about some of their magazine titles and then wanted to verify my address WHICH SHE READ TO ME then she asked which credit card I used most and at that point I said that I wasn't comfortable with this and hung up and came to the computer to google and sure enough there is a scam out of Jamaica.

Hi, kaybee. An unlisted number won't help with these calls because they don't target specific numbers. They have no idea who they're calling in 99.9% of the cases.

As I said, this has nothing to do with the DNC Registry. The robocaller's computer scrolls through random numbers hoping someone will answer.

If you do answer, you've just been "marked" as an active phone number, and you'll get more calls as a result.

As our security officers at the hospitals say, the first 3 rules with numbers you don't recognize (or that look odd, like your own number calling yourself):

1--Do not answer, and do not return the call.

2--Do not answer, and do not return the call.

3--Do not answer, and do not return the call.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

(btw: Since you have a phone through your cable service, you likely will quality for the free Nomorobo blocking service.)

SHE ALREADY HAD MY NAME AND ADDRESS! She asked for me by name AND she read my address to me for verification!

The reason I picked up is because I was napping and I keep the cordless on the coffee table in case the school calls for my son which happens at least once a week and I can't always make out the name on the caller ID without my readers. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} ps. I'm always careful with the house phone number. Whenever I fill out a sweepstakes form or something like that I give them my tracfone cell number.

Respected Contributor

That's a bit weird. How in the world can a robo call mimic a phone number someone already has?

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

Got it, kaybee.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

However, a service like Nomorobo would most likely keep it from coming in, in the first place, especially since those specific area codes are known to be scams:

Don't Return Calls From These Area Codes -- It's A Scam

http://www.forbes.com/sites/josephsteinberg/2014/02/01/dont-return-calls-from-these-area-codes-its-a...

and

Beware of Publishers Clearing House Scams From Jamaica!

(link: http://info.pch.com/component/content/article/11-fraud-protection/65-beware-of-publishers-clearing-h...