Respected Contributor

My holiday guest list is dwindling

Last year we had just my immediate family, SIL and her husband.  It looks like we will have the same guest list this year.  My cousin is going to her new boyfriend's house.  My aunt's husband has Covid and is in the hospital and she has to quarantine.  SIL's husband's father was going to join us as well but he also has Covid and is in the hospital.  Everyone coming to my house will be tested for Covid before the holiday.  

Respected Contributor

Re: My holiday guest list is dwindling

We all do what is best for our families.  We will be celebrating with our entire immediate family, just as we have in years past.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are 45 people with my siblings and their families and my kids. Only 14 will be here Christmas Eve - 3 families will be out of town and 1 family isn't vaccinated. I can't take chances with the unvaccinated since Dad is 90 and I am older and have asthma. Those who are coming have received their covid boosters.

On the plus side, I got to see one of my sons, his wife, and my 3 grandkids yesterday. The kids are adorable....twins age 5 and the little guy age 3. 

Honored Contributor

I hope your family members who are hospitalized have good outcomes!

We will have immediate family as well as a few extended family memebers...all are well and we look forward to seeing everyone.  

On a positive note the FDA did an EUA approval on a new antiviral drug to treat those who do get sick.  It has shown a 90% success rate.

Honored Contributor

It's good of everyone to test before coming to your house.  I hope they're able to find the test in the store.

As for the dwindling guest list, I'm sorry but it's less work for you.

Esteemed Contributor

MY is only three gifts, and some donations for Animals and Boys town.

MY half sister and her partner have always treated me so great and live in another state, and we will be on zoom.

My one son out of three children, has been such a blessing.

He visits me on Christmas eve wtih food he has made, a great cook and always gives me money, because he knows at my age, I don't need more stuff. Some years he gives me a gift card to TJ, because he knows that is where I shop for food.

The best part is he doesn't just give at Christmas, he is there for me all year, with help, as is my sister, though she lives in another state. Lots of phone support.

My dryer broke last couple weeks and they wanted 425 dollars to fix it. He came over and in 20 min. fixed it and it cost nothing.

I asked for my service call of 85.00 to be returned to me  because the repair man said it was broken and I needed a new dryer. This one only 6 years old.  My son fixed it without  needing a new part or parts. I presented this to the Service mrg. and yesterday, the service mgr personally came to my house with the check of 85.00. That was good CS

I am giving that to my son,  he deserves it.  I am blessed to have a wonderful son that cares and has a good heart. 

Esteemed Contributor

My Christmas list dwindled by 1 when my mother-in-law died in 2016. My list went down to 2, myself and my wife. This year my wife is off Pet Sitting in a different city, so my list is me.

I do have to include our 3 felines and our 1 canine on my list, I guess. So, it will be a total of 5 of us.

Been an inpatient 2 different times at the hospital/have had several procedures done/multiple doctors visits, but have never been tested. Asked about symptoms, yes. Tested for it? Have had not had a single one.

Ice rink is open Christmas Day, so just may go skating.

hckynut 🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Our pets are always home for the holidays. That's one of the many reasons we love them!!

Respected Contributor

I am sad to report that my aunt's husband passed today.  It all happened very fast.  He started feeling ill last week after having a colonoscopy at his local hospital.  He is a lung transplant patient so he has a pulse oximeter and it was dangerously low on Wednesday morning so my aunt called an ambulance.  By late Friday night he was on a ventilator and today he is gone. 

Respected Contributor

@ninjawife wrote:

I am sad to report that my aunt's husband passed today.  It all happened very fast.  He started feeling ill last week after having a colonoscopy at his local hospital.  He is a lung transplant patient so he has a pulse oximeter and it was dangerously low on Wednesday morning so my aunt called an ambulance.  By late Friday night he was on a ventilator and today he is gone. 

Sorry to read about your aunt's husband.  

I am by myself for the holidays.   I have my two kitties for company curled up next to me as I type lol.  Yesterday I chatted on Messenger with several relatives that live in another country.  It's the next best thing to being there.  I had hoped to go over, but with all the uncertainty, things changing with Covid and testing rules, I decided it wasn't worth the bother.