Trusted Contributor

Re: My gym put us on social media with zero consent

I think I would just find out if this is going to be a regular occurrence. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy  I have zero problem with being recorded on surveillance but I draw the line at public advertisement of it.

@Cakers3  LOL  I should try that!  I would have video proof for my lawsuit!

@Wsmom  I was thinking just that for tomorrow morning.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

When one is outside of their home, there is always the possibility of being recorded without knowledge or consent.

Just watch the news.

When they do a piece, do you think that they run around getting everybody's permission who was in the background?

No, they don't, but yet there they are, on the evening news.

@Plaid Pants2  This is why one must never pick their noses or scratch in a private body area when out and about.Smiley Tongue

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@fordtruck wrote:

I think I would just find out if this is going to be a regular occurrence. 

@puttypiesmom  Not that I can tell.  I scrolled through the page and it looked to be mostly instructor pics.  That was the only class video and/or pic I saw on the page.  Almost makes me want to get back on FB to check them out and make sure!  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 Don't makeup a story about an ex husband & violence, too many women face that real threat everyday...I can't imagine how anyone could tell a lie like that & think it's acceptable. Just be honest & tell her how you feel.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Take a notarized paper in and tell them to keep it on record, that in the future you are to be notified before any of this should this occur again.  Remind them it's a Legal document. 

Adding this former quote on here, if this applies, check what you signed upon your using this gym:

"A couple of gyms I have went to have agreements to sign giving permission to use pictures and video for advertising, etc. when you get your membership,"

I think it's a shame that something wasn't posted for the people using the gym before this occurred, so you could have chosen to leave before it occurred.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

The fact is, if one wants to make 100% sure that they are not being recorded, then they should never leave their home.

Because the truth is, cameras are everywhere.

They are on the outside of buildings.

They are inside of stores, they may even be cameras watching you work.

If one is that concerned about their privacy, then they just need to stay home to make sure that they don't get recorded.

Much ado about nothing.

Absolutely not much ado about nothing.  If you pay to take a class or go to to the Y even, they would need to get your permission--a model release--to film you and use that in public unless it is in your contract otherwise.  If you are in the park or a shopping mall, different deal. 

I'd tell them I'll sue next time if it ever happens again.  And mean it. 

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@Laura14 Don't makeup a story about an ex husband & violence, too many women face that real threat everyday...I can't imagine how anyone could tell a lie like that & think it's acceptable. Just be honest & tell her how you feel.

@kitcat51  Relax.  It was an expression of speech to drive home a serious point and prevent just that type of violence.  I don't have to be married or divorced to have a man come after me now that he knows where I am at 5am in the morning in the dark thanks to my gym.   

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Cakers3  Absolutely!  I know she just wasn't thinking and she is totally caught up in social media posts. 

I actually have no contract because it's a freebie through work but I doubt it's in there when the partnership happened 10 years ago.  Of course, it could absolutely be there now like several have said.

@Laura14  We have a freebie too but we still had to sign statements regarding liablity and the responsibilities of both the gym and for us.

A contract isn't just for $$; it is also to protect you and the gym.

Honestly, unless you post the video here I doubt anyone will see you. 

I do undertand your pov but I don't believe it really harmed you.

@Cakers3  I signed nothing which is why I am hesitant to make it a big deal and you're right it's not right now. 

But I REALLY don't want my 5am self on FB.  It's a small town and I am a private person who just doesn't want to live like that.  

@Laura14

I'm a bit of a privacy nut, too, so I know what you mean.  I'm also looking at this from a liability standpoint, as well. 

If it were me, I would ask my employer if it'd be possible to see a copy of the contract THEY signed with the gym, and see what they agreed to.  Tell them why.

Is this gym privately owned, or part of a regional or national chain?   If I were really miffed over the instructor's response, I'd probably call their corporate office and ask to speak to someone in the Legal Dept and ask why they believe not telling customers about filming is appropriate.  Make them nervous and see how fast the problem goes away.  Again ... liability.   

I recall reading a story about a lawsuit over being photographed in public, and a judge ruling that when you're in a "public place" you cannot expect total privacy, especially in this day and age.   

While I don't think where you are from really has any relevance, I like the Witness Protection Program aspect.  Maybe it would be fun to bring in the FBI, too ..... JUST KIDDING FOLKS.   lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 What? Then post what you mean & don't write that you are going to makeup a story of an ex husband & murder.