Honored Contributor

Re: My gym put us on social media with zero consent

@AngusandBuddhasMom  LOL!  You're right!  I must have missed that whole likeness and image will be used to make us money form in the application packet.  

Honored Contributor

@excpa wrote:

@Laura14    That sounds like a good idea.   l especially like the idea of the crazy ex!   It is very believable!  Maybe you are part of the witness protection program and will have to be relocatred now that she has exposed you to danger.  Make her sweat!

@excpa  As an Italian, that is not a problem to play and I'm from Jersey.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Your over doing what happened. Its a gym class, someone took a video for 1 minute...big deal! Its certainly not the worst thing that could happen in todays world. Smile, be happy and life goes on! 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Yes, I agree it was not good thing.  I would not have liked it at all but check your contract, it probably says they have a right to do it.  We had spin studio in my town, apparently they weren't getting enoug business so they took the vertical blinds off the window so passersby could look in and see all the women on the bikes.  It was free advertisement for them.   Most women did not like being on display like that.  I certainly would not have.  When some wanted to break their contracts, they discovered in the small print, the business was allowed to do it.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 Having worked in a gym in a previous life and now occasionally teach spin I know that you can't just take photos or do live fb without consent. That goes for members as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

Retired teacher checking in:  She was out of line.  I could not even take a picture let alone share or post it. And today when I take pictures of our square dance groups doing demos in nursing homes.... I do not take pictures of residents, period.  And my dancers, I get permission and then we use the pictures to promote our activity in the newspapers or on Facebook.  Our goal is to help others and also promote our activity so we can increase membership in our clubs.  But WE NEVER EVER TAKE IT UPON OURSELVES TO SHARE PEOPLES FACES WITHOUT PERMISSION. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3  Absolutely!  I know she just wasn't thinking and she is totally caught up in social media posts. 

I actually have no contract because it's a freebie through work but I doubt it's in there when the partnership happened 10 years ago.  Of course, it could absolutely be there now like several have said.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Your over doing what happened. Its a gym class, someone took a video for 1 minute...big deal! Its certainly not the worst thing that could happen in todays world. Smile, be happy and life goes on! 

@ID2  Good advice!  I'll move her down my hit list for now.  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Legally, I don't think they need consent, because the gym is a public place, much like a grocery store is, or a department store is.

I think that they can record without people's knowledge in the common areas (outside of locker rooms) and use that as they see fit.

I am just trying to see this from the legal standpoint and what the law says.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I made mention of this in another thread within the last couple of weeks.  I go to a gym in the evening.  There are some people who come in there, hop on a treadmill, take a selfie and walk out the door.  I am not even kidding.

I have seen women taking selfies and I've seen men lifting weights, stop, flex in the mirror (the mirror is end to end on two entire walls in this gym) and take a selfie.  Behind all these people lifting free weights are other people working out on machines. So if someone is taking a selfie in the mirror, others working out would be in the background of the photo.  I have a huge issue with that.  

The first time I saw it, it reminded me of what happened with that former Playboy bunny who took a selfie in the women's locker room of a gym and there was a naked woman behind her.  Not only did this Playboy bunny put the photo on social media, she made a derogatory comment about the woman behind her.