Honored Contributor

My gym put us on social media with zero consent

I am still in awe. 

I mentioned this in one of the wellness threads but I want to know if I am just being ridiculous and need to get with it or if I have a legitimate how dare you moment here?

So I go to my gym at 5:00am before work to get in a weight class.  Needless to say, I am dressed for a gym class at 5am in the dark not expecting to see anyone but other people who are similarly attired.

I am not on social media.  I can't get over the privacy factor to it and frankly I found it stressful and a waste of my time to be on it when I did have an account.  But I can still see public pages on the rare event I check something.  

Imagine my surprise when I see one of the instructors who is also the club manager went Facebook Live for about a minute and a half during part of the class and left it on the gym's public page for all to see and replay.

Luckily I was way on the other side of the room and not really recognizable but am I out of step for not wanting to be taped while I am working out and placed on public display without any knowledge of it?

I actually never saw her do it and just happened to stumble across it when I was checking class times.  I was hopping mad to say the least!  I know it's a public place but a gym class at 5am?  Really?  

Super Contributor

Re: My gym put us on social media with zero consent

I think the instructor was out of line.  I would have been furious.  She difinitely needs to be taught something about boundaries.  Speak to her.  Any maybe find another class where they respect the people who are paying them.

Honored Contributor

@excpa wrote:

I think the instructor was out of line.  I would have been furious.  She difinitely needs to be taught something about boundaries.  Speak to her.  Any maybe find another class where they respect the people who are paying them.

@excpa  I have class with her tomorrow at 5am.  I am seriously thinking of asking her when I walk in if she plans on taping this class too and, if so, I'm leaving.  I may make up a crazy ex-husband who may come and murder me in front of her if she does it again just to drive home the point.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 did you voice your displeasure with the instructor and gym or just here on the forums?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

It seems like an organization or company should have a privacy policy.  That is, get everyone's written consent before using their likeness or photo.  

A gym is not really a public place.  It has nothing to do with time of day, or how good anyone looks.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Laura14 did you voice your displeasure with the instructor and gym or just here on the forums?

@JaneMarple  Not yet.  I just saw it last night and I will be back at the gym tomorrow morning.  I'm not sure I'm going to be able to let this one roll of my back. 

It's a free membership I get through work so I hate to shake the freebie tree but this has really bothered me and it seems like you all agree that it should which makes me feel better.   

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@excpa wrote:

@excpa  I have class with her tomorrow at 5am.  I am seriously thinking of asking her when I walk in if she plans on taping this class too and, if so, I'm leaving.  I may make up a crazy ex-husband who may come and murder me in front of her if she does it again just to drive home the point.  

No need to make up an ex husband you did not consent or sign any waiver ahead of time. I doubt you agreed to any photos in your gym contract either. She should have informed the class ahead of time. What if you did have a crazy ex or something to that effect? She could potentially be in big trouble for doing what she did.

Honored Contributor

A couple of gyms I have went to have agreements to sign giving permission to use pictures and video for advertising, etc. when you get your membership,

Super Contributor

@Laura14    That sounds like a good idea.   l especially like the idea of the crazy ex!   It is very believable!  Maybe you are part of the witness protection program and will have to be relocatred now that she has exposed you to danger.  Make her sweat!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@excpa wrote:

@Laura14I hope you are saying this out of frustration. 

You can make your point without making up a lie.

While I agree with your frustration, make sure there is nothing in your contract with the gym that says they may make a video from time to time.

Be polite; I'm sure it wasn't done in an intentional matter to embarass anyone.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh