Respected Contributor

Re: My grocery store trip today

[ Edited ]

I gather from daily news that store closings and employee shortages have worsened since the holidays for several reasons.

Once holiday vacations were over and a surge in infections surfaced, many businesses began requiring employees to get covid-tested and/or vaccinated  before coming to work.  Some refused to do either.

Also,  even if some apparently healthy people receive positive test results, they have to quarantine for a while before going out.

I don't know how things are in your areas but where I live,- --suddenly--- since the holidays,  lines of cars have been  wrapped around entire  blocks, with people waiting to get tested at one of few available testing sites.

I guess the surge in people wanting  to get tested  has been connected to reported increases in people actually getting sick and crowding the hospitals, while  others  just need a test to get back to work.

I have read that many people locally who have been tested have been waiting many days to get the  test results, which might also keep some out of work longer.

Covid has created a real dilemma for our society that might well go down in history for its ramifications--for our economy,  jobs,  public mental and physical health, young people's education, and probably will have many more long-term consequences.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I gather from daily news that store closings and employee shortages have worsened since the holidays for several reasons.

Once holiday vacations were over and a surge in infections surfaced, many businesses began requiring employees to get covid-tested and/or vaccinated  before coming to work.  Some refused to do either.

Also,  even if some apparently healthy people receive positive test results, they have to quarantine for a while before going out.

I don't know how things are in your areas but where I live,- --suddenly--- since the holidays,  lines of cars have been  wrapped around entire  blocks, with people waiting to get tested at one of few available testing sites.

I guess the surge in people wanting  to get tested  has been connected to reported increases in people actually getting sick and crowding the hospitals, while  others  just need a test to get back to work.

I have read that many people locally who have been tested have been waiting many days to get the  test results, which might also keep some out of work longer.

Covid has created a real dilemma for our society that might well go down in history for its ramifications--for our economy,  jobs,  public mental and physical health, young people's education, and probably will have many more long-term consequences.

@novamc1 

Yes.  Many more.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Must depend on where you live.  Our grocery stores, from big chain stores to convenience stores,  fully stocked all the time.  Occasionally they might be out of a certain brand but they have another brand.

Honored Contributor

We haven't had any grocery store problems. Husband frequents two different stores and both are mostly always stocked except for maybe one or two products. Granted we live in a smaller town but every store on our main street is open and has been except for the beginning of all this. I think the biggest problem we have had has been the schools. 

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@hckynutjohn 

Why is something we're not hearing as often as we should.

I'm sure you've heard of the Great Nursing Shortage that's been going on for decades.  Yet diploma nurses have been eliminated, LPNs have been kicked out of most hospitals and there are threats to discontinue community college nursing programs.

Suddenly an associate degree isn't enough.  And nurses are told they have to earn additional degrees and move towards administration -- as far from patients as they can get.

In the meantime, our hospital can't find people to fill positions yet they will pay travel nurses thousands of dollars per week.

We went seven, eight years without a raise, if memory serves...

@just bee 

Why??  Not sure of your point here. I have 2 in my family that are MD's. Have 3 that are RN's, 1 that is a Tech in Nuclear medicine, and another that is a Radiologist.

Right now, unless circumstances change, the Medical profession is going to be much shorter of every profession in the Medical Field. Heard on the news yesterday that Mayo Clinic now has 700 less employees. What were their professions? You will have to research that because I do not know.

If you would want to help me understand the premise of this post I would appreciate it. 

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

It must be where we live. I am in UT, and was at my local Macey's this past Saturday. The shelves were full. Plenty of milk, bread, produce, meats and paper goods. One thing that was lacking was Ramen and Cup of Noodles. I like to buy them for snacks when I don't want to cook a full meal and want something warming. They had little of these. Lots of canned and dry soups though. Are people buying those for pantry stocking or is the store not getting them? Prices are higher, of course, but there is plenty here.