Honored Contributor

This is not a complaint post.  I'm happy to have food to eat, even if that means eating grilled cheese sandwiches every day.  

I've been in the process of moving and haven't done a full grocery shopping trip in probably 3 weeks.  I went this afternoon, got the cart and up and down the aisles I went. I was shocked.

We have all reported about some sparse or empty shelves, but I was shocked.  Tons of total outages. Tons of empty shelves.  One meat thing totally empty.  No strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or bananas.  None. 

Another shopper stopped me on the first aisle and asked if I was just starting my shopping and I said yes.  She said you're going to be shocked at the empty shelves.  And I was.

At the checkout, it was a cashier I know well enough from shopping there. I asked her if it was all from supply chain issues  She said that they're still having supply chain issues and that people have been doing over the top shopping.  Buying way more than usual. 

It was just really disconcerting.  And very hit and miss on the shortages.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Contributor

Re: My grocery store trip today

I had the same experience yesterday in my grocery store.  Shelves empty, very little fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy.    I walked the isles and all I could say to myself was "This is America.  What is happening"?  

Honored Contributor

Yes, I was at Acme the other day and the bread aisle was decimated - like it would b e right before a winter storm.  Other aisles were sparse too.  Stores must be cursing the lack of inventory / lost sales.

Respected Contributor

Half&Half! Light cream and heavy cream are in short supply here!

Honored Contributor

I went grocery shopping on Monday.  The produce section was 100% stocked.  i got cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, celery, onions, potatoes, a large dragon fruit, a package of Kiwi's and a pinapple.

I only bought chicken sausage from the meat section,

Things I couldn't get were frozen veggies, I got the last half gallon of half and half...no other size was available.  They had no pinapple with cottage cheese.  There were no Gluten free crackers that I like, no hot dog buns except for potato rolls.

I just went to get a few perishables, not  a full order.  There were a few empty shelves.  People were grumbling that Monday was not a good day to shop...too many things not stocked.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our shelves in my part of SE PA  have been minimally stocked again since before Christmas.  Frozen food cases have barely any  food-- even veggies.  Milk, cream, frozen entrees, and bread have been limited for a while. The same is true for certain shampoos, contact lens solution, and, of course, cat food.  Beef has been through the roof cost-wise although it is available. We do have lots of apples, bananas, cucumbers, and carrots. But we never saw cranberries throughout the season.

I am lucky, though. I live across from a farmers' market. Although many stands were closed due to lack of available food last week, most stands were reasonably stocked this week.  But it really is a situation where I walk around, check prices, and then decide where to spend my money.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I went grocery shopping on Monday.  The produce section was 100% stocked.  i got cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, celery, onions, potatoes, a large dragon fruit, a package of Kiwi's and a pinapple.

I only bought chicken sausage from the meat section,

Things I couldn't get were frozen veggies, I got the last half gallon of half and half...no other size was available.  They had no pinapple with cottage cheese.  There were no Gluten free crackers that I like, no hot dog buns except for potato rolls.

I just went to get a few perishables, not  a full order.  There were a few empty shelves.  People were grumbling that Monday was not a good day to shop...too many things not stocked.

I love the mini cucumbers that come in a bag.  They always have those.  Not today. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Here in Wisconsin, the shelves were well-stocked at my grocery today.  Only bought mostly fresh vegetables and some dairy products.  We are cooking from our pantry and freezer when we can.   

Respected Contributor

My husband went to the store (Walmart) this morning, and not that he had a long list of things to get, but there was only one item he couldn't find. Of all things....Fritos!

The real drag, he said, was that they were totally rearranging the store and it was one big mess. He finally found the Ritz crackers practically in the baby section!!! 😲 Maybe he should have looked for the Fritos over in automotives. Ha!!!

Honored Contributor

I went grocery shopping this AM. and the shelves were well stocked .  Of course everything was more expensive, but the food and paper products were plentiful. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan