Esteemed Contributor

Re: My grandson's excuse for learning to cook

Not everyone has the desire to learn how to cook.

Not everyone wants to learn how to cook.

If  he keeps coming up with excuses to avoid the lessons, then I would just drop the whole thing.

Otherwise, it will  just become another chore that he has to do, and he'll only do it to make you happy, and not because he wants to do it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@Soonerwrote:

I may have an answer.  Does he like to eat?  Don't feed him unless he helps cook sometimes.Woman Wink

Well he still lives at home with his dad and stepmom and yes he likes to eat !  He's put on some weight over the past year and he works but goes to the QT gas station and buys him a pizza. I am determined to teach him at least a few recipes then maybe he will get more interested in cooking. He will be on his own someday soon, it's a fact with his dad who learned to cook from me and is very glad he did.

@Goodie2shoes How very lucky he is to have you!  Good luck and have fun helping him!

Regular Contributor

Whether he "wants" to or "likes" to cook, it's a necessary life skill.  I don't "want" or "like" to work, but I have to or I'll be homeless and starving.

Set a day/time and tell him you expect him to be ready for a lesson.

Respected Contributor

@michmiwrote:

Whether he "wants" to or "likes" to cook, it's a necessary life skill. I don't "want" or "like" to work, but I have to or I'll be homeless and starving.

Absolutely !! I totally agree !  There are to many young people (he's 21) who are not prepared for living on their own. His Dad will not allow him to live with him forever so he must be prepared and be self sufficient. My son and daughter were out on their own @ 19 and I'm not saying he has to be like them, each person is different (they did just fine and were self sufficient)  As you noted, cooking is a necessary life skill. Thanks for your post !

Esteemed Contributor

@michmi wrote:

Whether he "wants" to or "likes" to cook, it's a necessary life skill.  I don't "want" or "like" to work, but I have to or I'll be homeless and starving.

I respectfully disagree.

In  a world of take out, deliveries, microwave food, and subscription food services, cooking is not the necessary skills that it once was.

If you force someone to "learn" how to cook, they will resent the lesson, and you. And just because you taught them how to cook a chicken, doesn't mean that they will have the desire to cook when they are in their own.

Besides, the job comparison is not an apples to apples comparison.

We all have to work to survive, to put a roof over our heads, BUT, we do not have to know how to cook in order to eat.

Respected Contributor

If he won't come to You, YOU go to his house.  No excuses then. That 21 year old man should be able to make dinner for himself and the rest of his family.  Do laundry for the household and since he can drive to the gas staion to get pizza he can drive to the grocery store and buy the weeks groceries. Mommy and Daddy can write him a list.  And he can make dinner one day a week for his family. His choice as he's shopping but He's got to learn to fend for himself.

Respected Contributor

I think I would start with something that might seem more masculine than "cooking."  How about teaching him to grill first?  He could start with hamburgers and/or hot dogs, then move up to grilling a steak, learning the difference between direct and indirect cooking.  At that point you might be able to sneak in a few lessons for side dishes.  Or a good, stout chili.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Knowing how to cook isn't the end all and be all of living on one's own.

One can still "fend for themselves" without knowing how to cook.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe spending the summer in the kitchen, isn't something he wants to do right now.  When he's ready, he'll show up.  It's not like it's something he has to learn today.

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819  cooking is another skill to know.  Buying your meals is all well and good If you have the money. If you want to Save your money , Prepare and cook you own food.  Why would you not want to know a skill that makes you Less dependnt on somebody else?