Respected Contributor

My grandson's excuse for learning to cook

Remember my plan to teach my grandson to cook ? well so far it hasn't happened yet. We planned for this past Monday but he said he had to cut the grass and do some other chores so he didn't have time.  So I planned on having the cooking class today after his dentist visit but he said his teeth were a bit painful, they are evaluating whether it's time to remove his braces. Ok so I gave him a pass today but grandma does not give up ! That boy will learn how to cook because if he ever gets a wife she will appreciate having a man that can bring home the bacon and cook too !!

Trusted Contributor

Re: My grandson's excuse for learning to cook

@Goodie2shoes    I love your post! Your future granddaughter-in-law will thank you. 🥰

Honored Contributor

Are you sure he wants to learn to cook?

Esteemed Contributor

does he really want to learn....if not, it's not gonna be an enjoyable experience.....jmo...

Trusted Contributor

It's a good idea for anybody to learn to cook so if they are living alone, without a spouse or partner, they can count on their own skills to prepare food. This has no more importance for girls than boys. He might marry someone who likes cooking and then they can share it instead of him relieving his spouse if the job. Of course, any person who can competently cook can care for another person by sharing tasks or taking over kitchen responsibilities. 

Not everyone gets married, but everyone has to eat. Cooking is a practical skill and often a very satisfying interest that can be lifelong. 

I agree you should encourage your grandson to join your cooking "class" and entice him by promising to guide him to make an easy dish or two that he especially likes. Or focusing the first time on skills like cutting and measuring. Make a stir fry--it's easy and fast and pretty hard to mess up. Success will get him to come back for more.

But if you see he's up to the 5th or 6th excuse, somehow never getting over to actually cook with you, it's time to retreat for a while and try asking again in a few months. Cooking always has to have a positive approach, not dogged persistence. 

I wish you many delightful hours using your own experience to help your grandson become a proficient, relaxed cook who will show off his best stuff at his home for a meal he makes for the family. I know how proud you'll be that day! 

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes I may have an answer.  Does he like to eat?  Don't feed him unless he helps cook sometimes.Woman Wink

Start with something easy that he REALLY likes!  

Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

Problem is you are not one step ahead of him, there's no carrot to bring that horse to it....you need his favorite cookie,

overall favorite food and he has no choice other than come over and help/learn how you make it.

That's what my grandma did.  

You need a new strategy.

Respected Contributor

@Soonerwrote:

I may have an answer.  Does he like to eat?  Don't feed him unless he helps cook sometimes.Woman Wink

Well he still lives at home with his dad and stepmom and yes he likes to eat !  He's put on some weight over the past year and he works but goes to the QT gas station and buys him a pizza. I am determined to teach him at least a few recipes then maybe he will get more interested in cooking. He will be on his own someday soon, it's a fact with his dad who learned to cook from me and is very glad he did.

Respected Contributor

@Just Blingwrote:

Problem is you are not one step ahead of him, there's no carrot to bring that horse to it....you need his favorite cookie,

overall favorite food and he has no choice other than come over and help/learn how you make it.

That's what my grandma did.  

You need a new strategy.

Great idea !! thanks

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotterwrote:Are you sure he wants to learn to cook?

Yes he wants to learn.