Respected Contributor

Re: My grandson's excuse for learning to cook

@candys mine  He doesn't drive but yes he walks to the local QT gas station where they sell pizza, donuts and other snacks. Maybe they don't have QT gas stations where some live but here in Mo they do. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

Thank you all for your responses whether positive or negative for my cooking class.  When I initially posted that I was going to teach my 21 yo grandson to cook  I don't think there were hardly any negative responses.  My grandson is an awesome guy, he is a home body, works a steady job and spends his off time on his cell phone in his room. He doesn't get into any trouble,  a shy guy. I love him dearly, he calls me several times a week just to check on my welfare and if I need anything I know he will be there for me. I just want him to learn to be self sufficient because he won't have his dad or me or his aunt to take care of him for a lifetime. He respects me and I am not concerned that he will get angry with me about teaching him a necessary life skill. Ordering out, going to resturants is not a life skill.  As I mentioned to another poster her idea of buying an making a pizza from scratch is a good idea since he likes to buy the from the QT gas station. I will keep you posted on the outcome Woman LOL

I may be wrong, @Goodie2shoes, but I think that finding out his age may have been the reason for some later posts that you found to be negative.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3  here are the first few sentences of my previous post :

I have a grandson who just turned 21 this past June. He is my oldest grandchild and I just love him dearly. So here's the issue Woman LOL He still lives at home with his Dad (who by the way is anxious for him to move out on his own but loves his son so much and has been an awesome Dad !) 

Some of the posters noted his age and the age they were when they learned to cook and when their siblings learned to cook. Thanks

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

I am not being smart-alecky when I ask this ... but .... why did you wait until he was 21 to think about teaching him to cook?    

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  wrote:  I am not being smart-alecky when I ask this ... but .... why did you wait until he was 21 to think about teaching him to cook?    

I don't take your question as being smart-alecky.  It wasn't a matter of waiting until he was 21, as I noted in a prior post he has always been a very good kid, pretty much a loner, not a trouble maker.  He doesn't even drive yet and he's in no hurry to leave home (not that I'm trying to push him out, that's between him and his Dad) So I just thought he needed a little boost to get him ready for the real world and since I'm his favorite grandma I thought giving him a few cooking lessons will get him a little more inspired to be more independent and we could have a few laughs at the same time.    Does that make sense ?