Honored Contributor

Re: My grandson's excuse for learning to cook

Suggestion: don't press it, he could dig his feet in and rebel.   Give him time and space, and try again, and if no, drop it.  Not worth the hassle.  He'll learn.

Valued Contributor

I agree that he should learn how to cook, but he still has plenty of time.. I don’t think you should push it because he may eventually resent you and avoid you, knowing that you’re going to bring up teaching him how to cook. Let him learn when he’s ready. Also, there’s plenty of recipes online he can look at as the years go by, if he’s not ready to learn now.
Esteemed Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@Anonymous032819  cooking is another skill to know.  Buying your meals is all well and good If you have the money. If you want to Save your money , Prepare and cook you own food.  Why would you not want to know a skill that makes you Less dependnt on somebody else? 

Because not everybody has the desire to learn how to cook.

And that's okay.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

I think I would start with something that might seem more masculine than "cooking."  How about teaching him to grill first?  He could start with hamburgers and/or hot dogs, then move up to grilling a steak, learning the difference between direct and indirect cooking.  At that point you might be able to sneak in a few lessons for side dishes.  Or a good, stout chili.  

Seriously? 70 percent of chefs in the US are male!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Im sorry but I dont believe your GS wants to learn to cook at this time.  Maybe later or maybe not.  Forcing someone to do something they dont want to is detrimental to them.  I know this for a fact.  Keep it up and he will find excuses not to be around you.

If he does want to learn to cook, he will let grandma know when he is ready.  Meanwhile ease off.

@Goodie2shoes 

OMG I just read a reply that he is 21 yrs old, I was thinking he was a young kid.  Sorry Grandma but you are way out of line trying to force something on an adult.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother always did fun things with us.  If one of us wanted to learn something from her, she was always there.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

My grandmother was a fabulous cook and baker.  We lived in the same building and I watched her cook and bake all the time. However, I did not really learn.  Guess I thought when I get older, I will know how to cook like Grandma.  I DON'T!!!  Wish I had really paid attention and did the step by step with her.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  Did your GS come to you and ask you to teach  him or did you just tell him he had to learn?

I know, even at 70, the quickest way to lose my interest is to tell me I "have" to do something.

I couldn't cook when I married at 18 and 1/2.  Mom kept trying to show me different dishes but I said, "if you can read, you can cook."  Guess what, I learned. We never starved.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Goodie2shoes  Did your GS come to you and ask you to teach  him or did you just tell him he had to learn?

I know, even at 70, the quickest way to lose my interest is to tell me I "have" to do something.

I couldn't cook when I married at 18 and 1/2.  Mom kept trying to show me different dishes but I said, "if you can read, you can cook."  Guess what, I learned. We never starved.

@CrazyKittyLvr2- The OP told him he had to learn.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

@michmiwrote:

Whether he "wants" to or "likes" to cook, it's a necessary life skill. I don't "want" or "like" to work, but I have to or I'll be homeless and starving.

Set a day/time and tell him you expect him to be ready for a lesson.

Absolutely !! I totally agree !  There are to many young people (he's 21) who are not prepared for living on their own. His Dad will not allow him to live with him forever so he must be prepared and be self sufficient. My son and daughter were out on their own @ 19 and I'm not saying he has to be like them, each person is different (they did just fine and were self sufficient)  As you noted, cooking is a necessary life skill. Thanks for your post !

@Goodie2shoes 

Well, if your 21 year old grandson secretly thinks it's becoming a hassle, you may have to change your approach a little. 

Instead of it just being a life skill everyone "should" know, appeal to his desire to know how to do something that will impress the girls .... or whomever.  

Or start with learning whatever is his favorite dish .... the end result may inspire him to try other things.