Super Contributor

My grandson came back from Italy in January

after a week there for school break.

Of course, I had seen him, hugged him closely and chatted for a few minutes.

I don’t remember specifically how long the time period was, but I

got sick for 2-weeks , lethargic, coughing, etc.

So did a friend of mine who I saw quite often, except he got same symptoms  a week or so later.

Neither one of us felt sick enough to go to ER, and we naturally stayed in our own houses , basically “self quarantined”.

For both of us, getting sick is very unusual, especially for two weeks.

It occurred to me that it might be possible my 15-yr, old grandson was an early “carrier” ....before Covid 19 was in the News.

Then again, it’s orobably a coincidence!

As part of the “elderly” (grrrrrrrrrr!) I am very fit and health aware, so whatever it was did not cause major issues.

I only recently thought of the possible connection.

Some day there might be a test that shows if we came in contact with it.

Plus, we are not folks who go to crowded spaces/events.

We may visit a Walmart at 6 am. and I’ve always opened doors with a covered hand, plus used wipes on the carriage.

Each of if us did not feel well enough to go out n about anyway.

We talked/texted each other.

* I’m definitely watching to much News, but here in MASS. it’s 

a big deal.*

Folks aren’t even given tests when coming into Logan Airport.

We have THOUSANDS of college kids coming n going, plus tourists.

Im sticking to my normal “stay at home” routine!

I wanted to see a movie in the afternoon, when literally 

5 people might be in the theatre, but I’m not sure if they even are opening 

then.

I haven’t heard anything about movie theatres......but I can imagine!

Frequent Contributor

Re: My grandson came back from Italy in January

Could be the case.  Hopefully sooner rather than later they will come up with an antibody test to dermine who has had the coronavirus.  Assuming full immunity once you have it, the test will allow people to move freely and safely in the world and help with our health and economic recovery.  

Respected Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

I have wondered if I had it too. We took a fantastic trip to South Africa. We flew back from Johannisburg to Frankfurt to the states, arriving on Jan.31. The second I got home I got sick - headache, body aches, then fever and diarrhea for three days. I never had a cough though and my husband did not get it. So who knows.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

And there lies the problem, without testing for the last 2 months in the US, this has been brewing.  I came back from Europe in Feb. and by then all Europe was on high alert, just like we got only YESTERDAY.  

We are #8 in numbers right now in cases because we have not done the testing others have done for the last 10 weeks.  

Valued Contributor

@ms traditional   Thanks so much for posting that chart.  VERY helpful informaiton.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My friend's son is a student at Harvard and he got sick when he went back to school after Christmas vacation.  They diagnosed it as upper respitory infection but who knows?  Of course there is a large population of students from all over the world there.    Anyway, now my friend is thinking maybe he had the virus.  Luckily he is fine now but then again he is in his early 20's.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

And there lies the problem, without testing for the last 2 months in the US, this has been brewing.  I came back from Europe in Feb. and by then all Europe was on high alert, just like we got only YESTERDAY.  

We are #8 in numbers right now in cases because we have not done the testing others have done for the last 10 weeks.  

@Bhvbum Yes and look at all the people who have been so  snippy about people who are worried.  Like nothing can happen to us that happens to the rest of the world.

So here we sit now.  

Trusted Contributor

A similar question crossed my mind, back in 2009 during the swine flu (H1N1) outbreak.  

My son was 10 years old at the time and became very sick with a flu-like illness, fever and upper respiratory symptoms and nasal congestion, about a week before the news started warning us about H1N1.

He has always had a sensitive stomach, so in addition to upper respiratory symptoms, he couldn't hold food or water down.  He was so weak, he couldn't even walk.

After about 10 days of this, I force fed him a teaspoon at a time our doctor's recommendation of the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, apples, toast) and he bounced back fairly quickly after that.

The amazing thing was that neither his dad or I caught it after actively caring for him.

I don't recall any testing being used at that time as to what exact virus was going around.  I just know he was very ill with whatever it was, and I have always suspected that it was an early case of swine flu.  

Super Contributor

thanks to all who chimed in!

I am watching a rerun of a Town Hall on CNN right now

about the virus.

I am not one who has purchased even 1 extra item, such as purell,

tissues, etc.

Am I naive in thinking the media is over-hyping this, thus causing 

extreme reactions .....such as cancelling the Boston Marathon and St. Patrick’s Day Parade?

These are outside events and when I think of the long term planning that went into just these 2, I’m saddened for the participants.

Then again, maybe I’m not “respecting” the seriousness of this?

Sigh.....confusion reigns...