Honored Contributor

Re: My friends mother died after eating salad

[ Edited ]

I am saddened to read of the suffering and death of this lady. 

In regard to everyone being predestined when they are going to die I disagree. We are given free agency in this life, and many times the choices we make or others make decide our fate. I don't believe God causes someone to drive drunk, amd cause a fatal car wreck. I also believe the choices we are free to make influences our longevity. Examples are choices to smoke, foods we choose to over eat, drugs, and so on. 

We are not puppets on a string. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

How do you know her demise was a direct result of eating salad four years ago?  Seems like a lot of things could have happened since that were detrimental to her health.

Just got home from the gym where I told my trainer about this thread.

The number of question marks over his head was countless.

He brought up a good point:

It’s sad this mother left us thinking a piece of lettuce is what caused

her death...and even more upsetting the people who loved this person

are thinking the same thing today.  The myth will perpetuate from

generation to generation. 

@sidsmom  Not sure why your trainer is the expert on this woman's experience.

I think the question marks over his head indicate being clueless if anything.

There is plenty of info from the CDC; maybe your trainer could read up before jumping to his "myth".

Just sayin'.

@Cakers3

Unfortunately, anyone with a pinch of common sense would agree

the woman’s death can’t be blamed on a piece of lettuce.

A salad...with other ingredients...FOUR years ago.  Maybe it was the

carrots, or the cucumber or the cheese or the chicken or the iced tea she had or the burger accompanying the salad, the piece of cake, the servers hands, the cooks hands, the....or...oh, the thousand upon thousand other foods she ate prior & after her illness.  Just blaming anything on one food, any food, 1,460 days ago is ludicrous. 

Are you implying that the woman could not have died as a result of damage to her liver and kidneys, which are both progressive diseases, from eating a salad (not a piece of lettuce)  because she didn't die soon eough?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

So, the takeaway from this (how was it even determined that the salad from 4 years ago was the culprit?) is to not eat salad?

That doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Bacteria that someone's body doesn't handle well can be found in other foods and have been and will continue to do so.

Lots of reasons why, from our agricultural practices to poor hygeine habits of food handlers.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

How do you know her demise was a direct result of eating salad four years ago?  Seems like a lot of things could have happened since that were detrimental to her health.

Just got home from the gym where I told my trainer about this thread.

The number of question marks over his head was countless.

He brought up a good point:

It’s sad this mother left us thinking a piece of lettuce is what caused

her death...and even more upsetting the people who loved this person

are thinking the same thing today.  The myth will perpetuate from

generation to generation. 

@sidsmom  Not sure why your trainer is the expert on this woman's experience.

I think the question marks over his head indicate being clueless if anything.

There is plenty of info from the CDC; maybe your trainer could read up before jumping to his "myth".

Just sayin'.

@Cakers3

Unfortunately, anyone with a pinch of common sense would agree

the woman’s death can’t be blamed on a piece of lettuce.

A salad...with other ingredients...FOUR years ago.  Maybe it was the

carrots, or the cucumber or the cheese or the chicken or the iced tea she had or the burger accompanying the salad, the piece of cake, the servers hands, the cooks hands, the....or...oh, the thousand upon thousand other foods she ate prior & after her illness.  Just blaming anything on one food, any food, 1,460 days ago is ludicrous. 

@sidsmom  Read her OP again.  She never said it was a piece of lettuce; she said the woman ate a SALAD.  I also didn't say it was one piece of lettuce, either.

Your common sense remark is out of line. 

My point was that your trainer is not a medical expert in this case, a point made by others. 

Go back and read Marp's links. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So, the takeaway from this (how was it even determined that the salad from 4 years ago was the culprit?) is to not eat salad?

Bacteria that someone's body doesn't handle well can be found in other foods and have been and will continue to do so.

Lots of reasons why, from our agricultural practices to poor hygeine habits of food handlers.

Sometimes anecdotal evidence can be as good as scientific.   This lady was over 70, and her kidneys were affected after eating a salad (hemolytic uremic syndrome for example).   

Haven't any of you just ordered a salad as a meal -- I have.   You weren't there .... if the OP says 'salad' then why keep challenging her that it was something else?  

Honored Contributor

@seaBreeze wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Lots of reasons why, from our agricultural practices to poor hygeine habits of food handlers.

Sometimes anecdotal evidence can be as good as scientific.   This lady was over 70, and her kidneys were affected after eating a salad (hemolytic uremic syndrome for example).   

Haven't any of you just ordered a salad as a meal -- I have.   You weren't there .... if the OP says 'salad' then why keep challenging her that it was something else?  

Just questioning how this was determined is all.  How was the salad pinpointed as the culprit?  I'm just a curious person, I guess.

I don't know what having eaten a salad as a meal (I do almost every day) has to do with it.

Super Contributor

I think what most people are reacting to is the title of the thread, which is misleading and senssationalistic. The woman who passed away did not die from "eating a salad". She died from presumed long term damage done by a severe bacterial infection. One could contract a bacterial infection in a million different ways, and it is impossible to fully avoid all risks. 

Additionally, as a nurse I can tell you with some assurance that it is extremely rare to have such long term, progressive illness with an episode of food poisoning. Food poisoning is very much an acute illness with dangers limited to the immediate period surrounding the episode. Even hemolytic uremic syndrome (which btw rarely effects adults mostly targeting children) is not known to cause progressive long term damage as long as treated properly. It seems that it was identified at the time that the woman contracted a food-borne bacterial illness, so it is surprising to me that 4 years later she would still be suffering if she was in fact a healthy, strong individual. However the one constant with medicine is that there will always be exceptions to every rule, so what do I know....

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

@AbrowneyegirlSorry about your friend's Mother,at 71 she probably had some good years ahead of her. 

The "when your time's up" stuff is bunk.  The carelessness of others,the cruelty of others,the mental illness of others has nothing to do with God.  War,hate,and stupidity have laid alot of people in their graves who shouldn't be long before "their time."

Excellent point, @MoJoV I agree.

Respected Contributor

Maybe I missed it, but what bacteria caused liver and kidney damage?  Did the CDC give the family a report after she became ill?  Did she have any undiagnosed illness or auto-immune problems?  I have an auto-immune disorder that I didn't know about until I started aching and having a dry mouth.  Even at that it took quite some time before they determined what I have.  I'm also curious to know if there's a chance she ate something a day or two before or after that might have caused the illness.  Food borne illness has quite a range of time before someone shows signs.  Very sorry for her loss no matter what.  

Honored Contributor

@peace6576 wrote:

I think what most people are reacting to is the title of the thread, which is misleading and senssationalistic. The woman who passed away did not die from "eating a salad". She died from presumed long term damage done by a severe bacterial infection. One could contract a bacterial infection in a million different ways, and it is impossible to fully avoid all risks. 

Additionally, as a nurse I can tell you with some assurance that it is extremely rare to have such long term, progressive illness with an episode of food poisoning. Food poisoning is very much an acute illness with dangers limited to the immediate period surrounding the episode. Even hemolytic uremic syndrome (which btw rarely effects adults mostly targeting children) is not known to cause progressive long term damage as long as treated properly. It seems that it was identified at the time that the woman contracted a food-borne bacterial illness, so it is surprising to me that 4 years later she would still be suffering if she was in fact a healthy, strong individual. However the one constant with medicine is that there will always be exceptions to every rule, so what do I know....

@peace6576, excellent information.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland