Honored Contributor

did this happen just outside your apartment building?

there is no excuse really, but i wonder if it could have been a homeless person who was starving who did this.....maybe even a desperate person who was trying to feed their family?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

In crisis, stress and/or times like these that reveal peoples' character!

Honored Contributor

Re: My food was stolen

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

This happened to me only once.  But it was years ago.  In fact, I was in college when it happened.  I went to the supermarket for my mom.  My sister was there.  We had a large load of food.  They cost was about $100.00  (remember, this was a long time ago.  $100.00 was closer to $500.00 in value)  We stopped the cart, so I could get the car to pull closer to the front of the store.  It was very crowded.  My sister was not paying attention to the cart.  It was grabbed by someone else, and pulled in the parking lot to another car.  We searched everywhere.  we even when up to people putting bags in their car.  We went in, told the owners of the store what happened.  They gave us credit!!!  Told us to shop again.  I've never forgotten it.

@songbird    wow! that's awful but thank goodness you got a credit for your lost groceries!  Some people are disgustingly amazing!

This reminds me of the time I was at a crowded baggage claim on my way home waiting for my bag to come up.  It's a large dark gray bag and I added both a bright red & a royal blue luggage tag to the top along with a red ribbon. 

From some distance I saw a young woman pick up my bag, pull up the handle and start walking away.  I ran through the crowd and said to her, "I think that's my bag!"  Before she could do anything I grabbed at one of the tags and saw my name & address on it...

She just said "Oh" turned and walked back to the carousel.  There was no apology and when I thought about it later it seemed like she was stealing it, not just thinking that it was hers.  She never looked at the tag.

Honored Contributor

Were you able to get a description of this person from the driver. That's just crazy. I'm glad they refunded you and sent you a replacement. I bet the driver won't make that mistake again. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My food was stolen increased

[ Edited ]

While the acts of these young people are deplorable, I don't think that arming seniors with guns is the answer. Shooting people because of a shove or stolen groceries is definitely a bad choice.

That is actually illegal, and many people might be harmed or killed because of the questionable "judgment" of the senior victims when they are terrified, or even worse, the bodily harm they might receive because they miss their target, and are retaliated against by a younger, stronger, angry aggressor. 

Can you imagine the mayhem that will likely ensue? Perhaps better management of the stores, and increased security might be a more favorable option.

~~~All we need is LOVEđź’–

Valued Contributor

Re: My food was stolen

[ Edited ]

Surely you called Panera and told them what happened, and surely they sent a duplicate order for free, right?

Now I see that they did do that.  Good on them.

Valued Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@Katcat1 Look in the mirror.  The enemy is us.  We have raised generations who've been told that there's no right and no wrong; everything's relative.  We've raised generations with no morals, no values, no judgement skills, and toitally self-centered.  We've created the "me generation".  You only have to look at the hoarding and fights in stores for products to see where this has gone.  Or remember the two people who bought 17,000+ bottles of hand sanitizer and tried to sell them on-line at gouging prices.

We're reaping what we've sown. 

No, not "we" but point taken.

Honored Contributor
@Mahhie Nolia She has already answered your question on this thread. 🙄
Honored Contributor
Post above should read @Maggie Nolia.
Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

This happened to me only once.  But it was years ago.  In fact, I was in college when it happened.  I went to the supermarket for my mom.  My sister was there.  We had a large load of food.  They cost was about $100.00  (remember, this was a long time ago.  $100.00 was closer to $500.00 in value)  We stopped the cart, so I could get the car to pull closer to the front of the store.  It was very crowded.  My sister was not paying attention to the cart.  It was grabbed by someone else, and pulled in the parking lot to another car.  We searched everywhere.  we even when up to people putting bags in their car.  We went in, told the owners of the store what happened.  They gave us credit!!!  Told us to shop again.  I've never forgotten it.

@songbird    wow! that's awful but thank goodness you got a credit for your lost groceries!  Some people are disgustingly amazing!

This reminds me of the time I was at a crowded baggage claim on my way home waiting for my bag to come up.  It's a large dark gray bag and I added both a bright red & a royal blue luggage tag to the top along with a red ribbon. 

From some distance I saw a young woman pick up my bag, pull up the handle and start walking away.  I ran through the crowd and said to her, "I think that's my bag!"  Before she could do anything I grabbed at one of the tags and saw my name & address on it...

She just said "Oh" turned and walked back to the carousel.  There was no apology and when I thought about it later it seemed like she was stealing it, not just thinking that it was hers.  She never looked at the tag.

I find that kinda weird that one would steal another's bag from baggage claim. I would have no interest in someone else's bag as mine has my stuff  (obviously) with my personal medications, etc. Am not saying I don't believe it happens, just that I don't get why.