Esteemed Contributor

Re: My first experience visiting the local Social Security office😧😮😳👎

Our local SS office is a busy one in NJersey....its always crowded and some clerks are nicer than others but they have a thankless job.  The building is decent, clean, ample parking and the guard always helps you obtain your number.  I've never waited exceptionally long with or without an appointment.  I have not had to go too often but the experience was neither painful nor enjoyable.  However, I do think the agency works pretty efficiently, I can't complain.  

Respected Contributor

Goodness, I went to my local SS office today, for the first time ever, to get a replacement card. First the parking was very limited, then the guard at the door, he was a little rude but he did not check my handbag. Then I sat for about an hour and waited. Once I was called to a window, the process went fast. The sitting area is set-up like a bus station, hard chairs in 4 rows with the security guard in front staring at us. This not someplace that I want to visit often if ever again. 

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

Lindsay's Grandma and SuzyQ, I should have been more specific about in the "valley of So. Cal".  I am in the Inland Empire-Rancho Cucamonga. Our local office is in Ontario. When I first went to the SS office several years ago, it was very dumpy and small, but they have obviously improved it a lot.  Still not much parking.  Where do they expect people to put their cars.

Maybe I will start a thread on the DMV.

To those who live in SoCal, "The Valley" is understood to be the San Fernando Valley (only). People specify the San Gabriel (SG) Valley when they mean that area. The I.E. is the I.E., called that. I've never heard it referred to as having a valley. The highly populated areas there are largely desert-flat. And then we have OC (locals never use the "The" of the TV series).

Life without Mexican food is no life at all