Honored Contributor

Re: My first experience visiting the local Social Security office😧😮😳👎

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@DiAnne, it was more nerve-wracking than anything else. If I was married, and/or wasn't my own sole support, the timing as far as coverage - SS or Medicare - wouldn't have been so crucial. But as it was, I needed to insure that my checks started arriving within a month of my last paycheck and since I wasn't doing COBRA, my Medicare needed to be in effect, complete with supplement and Part D, within the next month after retirement. Thankfully, I did start 4 months ahead, but it was a way narrower squeak than was comfortable! 

@Moonchilde

I am my sole support also but I did everything except Part B Medicare (I don't have Part D) and my supplement ahead of time.  I loved my job and kept dragging my feet about retirement. The docs just kept talking me out of it.  I also had a lot of vacation time on the books and the hospital policy was to pay it out at cents on the dollar if you quit or retired so went on an extended vacation ending with my retirement.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@DiAnne, it was more nerve-wracking than anything else. If I was married, and/or wasn't my own sole support, the timing as far as coverage - SS or Medicare - wouldn't have been so crucial. But as it was, I needed to insure that my checks started arriving within a month of my last paycheck and since I wasn't doing COBRA, my Medicare needed to be in effect, complete with supplement and Part D, within the next month after retirement. Thankfully, I did start 4 months ahead, but it was a way narrower squeak than was comfortable! 

@Moonchilde

I am my sole support also but I did everything except Part B Medicare (I don't have Part D) and my supplement ahead of time.  I loved my job and kept dragging my feet about retirement. The docs just kept talking me out of it.  I also had a lot of vacation time on the books and the hospital policy was to pay it out at cents on the dollar if you quit or retired so went on an extended vacation ending with my retirement.  

@DiAnne, I hated my job and couldn't wait to get out! I never hated my profession, was proud of it, but I definitely hated that job, with those co-workers and management. Almost 20 yrs I had to suffer there - or be unemployed. My last day was a very happy day 😜

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I did it all online too.  It took at least 6 months to settle on what my payment would be.  

I don't understand this statement. They told me & my DH what our payment would be. It wasn't a negotiation. The only variable was how much to withhold for taxes.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

I did it all online too.  It took at least 6 months to settle on what my payment would be.  

I don't understand this statement. They told me & my DH what our payment would be. It wasn't a negotiation. The only variable was how much to withhold for taxes.

The payment calculation is not always accurate.  

Honored Contributor

I agree with ID2.  Rural small towns here, had to drive 60 miles but the offices were clean and the personnel polite and helpful.  The government is trying to project the image that they don't waste any money on frills.

Trusted Contributor

My dear friend described her SS experience as visiting the DMV times ten.

At the DMV I especially like standing in an hour wait line while two workers ignore me to discuss their lunch plans (NOT).

dee

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

That would make retirement easy!  I guess I was lucky.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I had to go down in person as what I needed taken care of could not be done online.

What a depressing place!  First it was very hard to find....only some lettering on the door of a very inconspicuous building.... even with my GPS it was hard to find the office.

Filthy old  carpets inside. Matched the old grey  building....I  Had my purse gone through by a guard as I entered the office..he asked if I had any weapons in my purse.   Of course I Said  no.( thank goodness I left all my "weapons"   at home..today👌.). I have never been in a government office so this was new to me being searched.  I did not mind....it was just new to me...

The waiting room room was just uncomfortable and ugly...hard chairs, concrete floor....LOTS of people waiting waiting waiting.. babies crying...kids everywhere......I had an appointment so I got right in thank goodness when my number was called right away.

Sat  down  in cubby#10 across from the SS person....could hardly hear her...she never smiled and barely looked up at me.... tapping away on her keyboard. tap tap Tap.....everything was grey.... Tap Tap Tap...I think the skin tone of the SS person was grey too...  depressing.... she asked me a few questions.....and  then I was done. 

I do do not know why Govenment offices have to be so dismal....perhaps this one is not the norm?  Are their SS offices that are nice and welcoming? With color and soft uplifting music? Clean offices? 

I guess I am very sheltered.  But, I know when an environment is in need of a face lift. 

I'm being funny, don't get your  knickers in a twist but yes, you do live a sheltered life!

My closest SS office was like you describe, a few years ago they moved to a better building and it was the biggest news around!  Their old building is now a police precinct.

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

My dear friend described her SS experience as visiting the DMV times ten.

At the DMV I especially like standing in an hour wait line while two workers ignore me to discuss their lunch plans (NOT).

dee

@deedledeedeedle, your local DMV doesn't take appointments?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

Our local SS office was recently remodeled, and it looks pretty nice (I'm in the valley of So. California).. There was a guard, but he didn't search anyone or anything. It was full of people, but things went fairly quickly.  I got my questions answered and my problems resolved.  Now don't get ma started on parking spaces though.....................nor the DMV.  Oh man, you can wait ALL DAY there. The line is way out the door and you will park a mile away. Even with appointments, it is a long wait.  Oh well, we are not talking about the DMV.