Honored Contributor

Re: My dog and me where confronted by a neighbors big dog who is allowed to run free.

On 3/22/2015 CrazyDaisy said:
On 3/21/2015 esmeraldagooch said:

I carry a big metal rod. Sticks can break. If I was really worried I would bring a can of long range wasp spray and aim for the eyes or mouth.

PS...., I used to bring a concealed hand gun, but that was in the country and I do have a permit.

PSS. I was attacked by a pitbull in the past and I won't let that happen again and be at a disadvantage. I still have PTSD from the incident.

I am sorry you have had a problem in the past. The vast majority of loose dogs are friendly with incredibly bad manners and extremely stupid owners. Wasp spray can cause extreme long lasting pain, blindness and permanent breathing issues. Pepper and bear spray is just as effective and less lethal. Would hate to see a family pet who accidently got out put through that ordeal when other options are available.

That's a very good point Crazy Daisy. I agree with you that most dogs that get loose are not vicious. I wouldn't carry wasp spray either.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: My dog and me where confronted by a neighbors big dog who is allowed to run free.

A lot of people seem to be jumping on the OP. Here's the thing. I've heard of reports where the person confronts the owner of the loose dog or calls animal control on the owner of the loose dog. Sometimes (not all the time), the owner of the loose dog gets very angry and aggressive towards the person who confronts or who calls animal control. Yes, you can remain anonymous and, for whatever reason, they may still find out (or just assume) it was you who called animal control and then the threats start. This doesn't always happen, but it can.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know what good calling animal control is going to,do. My daughter filed multiple complaints about her neighbors dog running loose and going after my daughter's dog who was leashed. She was told that nothing could be done unless the animal control officer personally saw the dog running loose. They won't do anything based on a verbal report because they don't know what the relationship is between the dog's owner and the person filing the report.
Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2015 KathyPet said: I don't know what good calling animal control is going to,do. My daughter filed multiple complaints about her neighbors dog running loose and going after my daughter's dog who was leashed. She was told that nothing could be done unless the animal control officer personally saw the dog running loose. They won't do anything based on a verbal report because they don't know what the relationship is between the dog's owner and the person filing the report.

The only way it works with calling Animal Control is to call when you see the dog running loose. Then they need to come right then, which they sometimes can do.

-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Take it to Judge Judy. She'll take care of the problem.

Super Contributor

I am very happy to tell everyone the man with the dog now walks his dog and the dog is no longer running lose.

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 little daisy said:

I am very happy to tell everyone the man with the dog now walks his dog and the dog is no longer running lose.

I am so glad to hear this!

-Henry David Thoreau