Honored Contributor

Re: My daughters college roommate quit school

My first two are a boy and girl set of fraternal twins. My daughter went to one state university about one hundred miles away and her brother to another sixty miles from her. He was the more introverted of the two but a jock, she was voted the class clown and was always upbeat. She and another girlfriend from the same high school elected to become roommates at the university's only female dorm. My son went in blind but was placed in his college's athletic dorm. 

So my surprise he thrived and she didn't, at Christmas break she didn't want to go back and I had to beg her to do so. She and her roommate were no longer speaking and she hated most the girls in the dorm. Meanwhile Mr introvert was one of the stars on his campus and living it up, go figure. They both survived their freshmen year but Mommy had to make a few extra visits for her daughter who turned out was a bit homesick.

We still laugh about their experience.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

I knew of several students who quit every year I was in school. Not uncommon.

Never heard of a mom who got rid of their child's roommate's stuff.
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Disneylandfan wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

hmmmm, I haven't heard of many colleges which allow freshmen to have cars on campus.  

Maybe in other countries..

Oh well.

Most Southern California Universities and colleges allow freshmen to have cars.  Maybe we are the exception.  I never realized some schools don't allow freshmen to have cars.

It could be a north east thing.  We've all attended school from Maryland to Massachusetts and every state in between - no cars allowed for freshmen and sometimes sophomores.

My niece was allowed a car in her freshman year. She didn't like that college but stayed for her whole freshman year and transferred to a school closer to home. That school did not allow freshman to drive.

In places like Oklahoma and Texas you simply couldn't get there without a car.  I don't think many people take the bus nowdays.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I can top the duck lol!

My roommate had a boa constrictor in our room!!

She would go to a lab to get his mice and invited me to watch him eat-will never forget.

And she would take him out and lie with him on the bed.

From what I remember she did not stay the entire semester. She had problems with her boyfriend.I hope she is doing okay somewhere!

We also didn't have ac so you could easily lose 5 olbs just sitting in the room. A good way to dietRobot surprised

I do remember dorm mother types too.

Yikes!

Good grief how did you stay in the room with that snake?  I would have been terrified! 

Respected Contributor

I remember when my two were in high school and I went to a meeting about your child going to college and I was told that only 40% of the students will get a college degree, the rest drop out, mostly in their 2nd year.  Needless to say that did give a jolt since my two children weren't the smartest in their classes but they did work hard and both were motivated to attend college.  I told them that they could take as many years to get a degree but their father & I could only afford to pay for the first 4, so after that they had to pay.  Well, they both got their degrees in 4 years, miracle of miracles!  My son & daughter both moved out of their dorms and into apartments after their freshmen year but didn't have any nightmare roommate tales, thank goodness.  My daughter is still good friends with her first roommate and even she said she's so grateful for having a good roommate that first year.  Sending kids off to college is scary, some just can't handle all that freedom, the workload gets much harder and even the brightest kids have a hard time adjusting to the workload and the social end of it is also difficult for some.  I was so lucky that both of my children adjusted well to college life and then adult life without too many issues.  They're 26 & 30 now and gainfully employed and the most important, not living in my house!

Valued Contributor

I may have missed something-but it doesn't sound like the young woman had much of a support system-

Kind of sad actually....hope she finds her way.

Honored Contributor

She might end up much better for it. If she was truly depressed, that can be dangerous for her. She is young and just needs a bit of help finding her own path. People aren't cookie cutters and one size doesn't fit all

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Disneylandfan wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

hmmmm, I haven't heard of many colleges which allow freshmen to have cars on campus.  

Oh well.

Most Southern California Universities and colleges allow freshmen to have cars.  Maybe we are the exception.  I never realized some schools don't allow freshmen to have cars.

It could be a north east thing.  We've all attended school from Maryland to Massachusetts and every state in between - no cars allowed for freshmen and sometimes sophomores.

My niece was allowed a car in her freshman year. She didn't like that college but stayed for her whole freshman year and transferred to a school closer to home. That school did not allow freshman to drive.

In places like Oklahoma and Texas you simply couldn't get there without a car.  I don't think many people take the bus nowdays.

You are right about that @Sooner. My mom grew up in OKC and most of my moms side of the family still live there in OKC, Tulsa and Edmond. My cousins went to OU.

She is heartbroken because she just found out that Charcoal Oven is closing. She used to work there in high school. We ate there every single time we visited.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Regular Contributor

Kids drop out of school all the time.  Both years my daughter lived in the dorm she had a roommate drop out.  No judging necessary for a person she didn't even know.  You have no idea what is going on in her life or the family.

As far as the items left behind, this was a prime opportunity to allow your daughter to work this out herself. Let her gain some experience solving these small problems before the big ones come.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

@Disneylandfan wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Oh well.

You are right about that @Sooner. My mom grew up in OKC and most of my moms side of the family still live there in OKC, Tulsa and Edmond. My cousins went to OU.

She is heartbroken because she just found out that Charcoal Oven is closing. She used to work there in high school. We ate there every single time we visited.

Oh my goodness yes that is a real tradition in OKC area!  I will miss that cute little drive in--it looks so 1950's.  Trader Joe's just opened up just down the road though, so that is something to console us.  I'm not a big fan of TJ's but it is something new at least!  Glad you have some Boomer Sooner cousins!