Esteemed Contributor

Re: My daughters college roommate quit school

hmmmm, I haven't heard of many colleges which allow freshmen to have cars on campus.  

Maybe in other countries..

Oh well.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Respected Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

That happened my freshman year of college except she lasted 2 months or so.  Her parents chose the school for her --- she hated it.  The only thing she wanted to do was lay out in her bikini.  She didn't have a car, but I did.  She'd get mad at me when I wouldn't take her to go tanning or to the beach.  Eventually she was kicked out of school for breaking the rules (strict private college).  She obviously didn't belong there and wanted out.

You were allowed to have a car in your freshman year?  That's rather unusual.  None of my nieces or nephews were permitted to have one until their sophomore years.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Super Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

hmmmm, I haven't heard of many colleges which allow freshmen to have cars on campus.  

Oh well.

Most Southern California Universities and colleges allow freshmen to have cars.  Maybe we are the exception.  I never realized some schools don't allow freshmen to have cars.

Esteemed Contributor

At the college that I went to, if a student had a license, they could have a car at the college.

Esteemed Contributor

@Disneylandfan wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Oh well.

Most Southern California Universities and colleges allow freshmen to have cars.  Maybe we are the exception.  I never realized some schools don't allow freshmen to have cars.

It could be a north east thing.  We've all attended school from Maryland to Massachusetts and every state in between - no cars allowed for freshmen and sometimes sophomores.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@Disneylandfan wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Oh well.

Perhaps it's the state where the colleges are located in, the state that my four went to college didn't allow freshman to have cars.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

at my college they did not allow freshman to have cars.

my oldest could not have a car at school freshman year and she chose not to have a car the rest of the time because it was VERY expensive to get a parking permit. luckily, she lived in a city that had excellent public transportation and she could get home easily via the train, the bus, or the megabus.

my two that are still in college have cars. my youngest is in his second year of community college and my middle child graduated from community college and has moved on to a local 4 year college. at her college you cannot have a car on campus until you have hit 30 credits (if you are a resident). you are allowed to have a car if you are a freshman commuter, but you have to use the overflow parking lots.

my friends daughter goes to WVU and she is allowed to have a car freshman year. my cousins daughter is at pitt and she can have a car freshman year.

(LOL this thread really has touched on MANY offshoot subjects!)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

That happened my freshman year of college except she lasted 2 months or so.  Her parents chose the school for her --- she hated it.  The only thing she wanted to do was lay out in her bikini.  She didn't have a car, but I did.  She'd get mad at me when I wouldn't take her to go tanning or to the beach.  Eventually she was kicked out of school for breaking the rules (strict private college).  She obviously didn't belong there and wanted out.

You were allowed to have a car in your freshman year?  That's rather unusual.  None of my nieces or nephews were permitted to have one until their sophomore years.

Some allow it and some don't.  That's the way it's always been.

Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Oh well.

In place like Oklahoma where there are long distances and not much public transportation almost all kids have cars at college.  Lots have cars in high school too because of distances and sometimes buses don't run to take kids home from band or athletic practices.  So kids have cars and drive to school and work.

Even in the 1960s freshman had cars at college.  They pretty much had to.

Respected Contributor

The college my daughter attends allows freshman to have a car on campus.  The parking permit is very expensive though.  They do have remote lots that are cheaper, and they have a shuttle bus to take you to your car.