Honored Contributor

Re: My daughters college roommate quit school

I was lucky enough to attend a good 4 year university in my city, so I never experienced the dorm thing.  I had classes, a job and a car and was glad I was living off campus.  

What I find mind boggling is that some parents appear to just send their high school graduates off to college many miles away,  ill prepared to manage .... they've never been away from home and are suddenly just expected to live in a dorm and manage their full class load?    Don't they think ahead?    What a heartbreaker!

Honored Contributor

p.s.: 151949:  p.s.  I've known a few highly successful professionals (underline highly successful) who attended local colleges/universities and guess what!  They prompted their kids to attend local community colleges first, since they had 'no clue' regarding a field, and mostly because they definitely did not want to follow in their parents' footsteps, career-wise.  In other words: It could be a good idea, in some/many cases. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I was lucky enough to attend a good 4 year university in my city, so I never experienced the dorm thing.  I had classes, a job and a car and was glad I was living off campus.  

What I find mind boggling is that some parents appear to just send their high school graduates off to college many miles away,  ill prepared to manage .... they've never been away from home and are suddenly just expected to live in a dorm and manage their full class load?    Don't they think ahead?    What a heartbreaker!

Many students do just that and succeed.

I have always felt that living on campus in a dorm is an important experience for a freshman, if possible.

Honored Contributor

Tinkerbell:  Yes, apparently it's 'the thing' to do now-a-days.  Somewhat of a 'trend' (I'm seeing around here, anyway).  Sometimes it's the 'status' of their kids attending 'this and that' university, etc.  Sort of a competition of sorts.  Happened with the wealthy many years ago.  Lots of competition, stress, and sometimes students were 'pushed' into professional fields that they didn't necessarily want to be in.  But daddy had the bucks and the power, so to speak.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

Agreed...she already paid for the entire semester so her room was paid for until the end of the current semester.

Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Many students do just that and succeed.

I have always felt that living on campus in a dorm is an important experience for a freshman, if possible.

I could not agree more.  Dorm living was such a positive experience for many of us.  I graduated in 1973 and I'm still close friend with former roommates and dormmates.

Some of the commuter students would ask if they could spend nights in the dorm with us.  They felt they missing out on an important part of college life.

Honored Contributor

The daughter/student just might return, after much coaxing by her mother.  If her room is paid for for the entire semester......  Also, who knows.........the daughter's boyfriend may decide to move to her college area.  Lots of things can happen at this point.  Especially if that room is paid for the entire semester.  The mom may want those items. .......... On the other hand, if the mom has lots of spending money to 'throw around', she might not care one bit. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sending kids off to college, (if that is what they want to do) is a good thing, even if they are "only" 18, and have "never been away from home before".

It teaches them to stand on their own two feet, and how to figure out how to solve dilemmas, all by themselves, without Mommy and Daddy swooping in and making things all better.

It's called learning how to be an adult, and they have to start sometime, because one day, Mommy and Daddy is gonna be dead, and then who's gonna solve their problems for them then, huh?

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361

Trust me, college is NOT for everyone. I teach the lowest 20% in high school who cannot pass a 10th grade level reading test.

Last year, I had a 20 year old for the second time who tried to come back for his SIXTH year of high school! He has taken this test 8-9 times and still has not passed  a 10th grade level reading test.

How would he fare in college? How about the 23 year old who JUST finished high school?

There is teacher in my department who is 23 and has been teaching two years and he commented that they are the same age.

One of my former students who also could not pass the test now has his own landscaping business. He ended up dropping out, but may have earned a GED. There are jobs suited for everyone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Sending kids off to college, (if that is what they want to do) is a good thing, even if they are "only" 18, and have "never been away from home before".

It teaches them to stand on their own two feet, and how to figure out how to solve dilemmas, all by themselves, without Mommy and Daddy swooping in and making things all better.

It's called learning how to be an adult, and they have to start sometime, because one day, Mommy and Daddy is gonna be dead, and then who's gonna solve their problems for them then, huh?

I feel it is so much better to begin your independence on a college campus and dorm than an apartment in the general population.  At least in college you are surrounded by your peers.

I always felt sorry for my friends who commuted to college. They missed out on the social aspects, they only experienced the academic side of college. More like a continuation of HS.

That being said, it is not for everyone.