Valued Contributor

Re: My closest Macy's is closing in February

@sgraham30 wrote:

@DearPrudence, the Macy's at Stratford Square in Bloomingdale, IL closed maybe 2 years ago. It's being torn down, a Woodman's is being built there. The only anchor store Stratford has left is Kohls. 

I think Woodman's will do well there.   I wish they would replace this one with a Mariano's!.But they're talking about putting a library up.  I have three libraries near me, but no Mariano's.

Valued Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

As a Marshall Field's devotee, I'm glad. I would love to see all of the stupid red star Macy's close. 

Yes, I know the Field's grandson sold the company to Macy's, but irrationally I despise Macy's and will not set foot into their stores.  Field's was so much classier and understated.

Also miss Carson's and Lord and Taylor and Sears.

Chicago's history in the retail arena is disappearing, not to mention under attack, referring to the recent Louis Vuitton store burglaries. 

Scary.

LOVED Marshall Field's!! I never became attached to Macy's and have only purchased cosmetics there, to get a GWP, since they removed their petite clothing department a few years ago. 

Don't get me started on the Louis Vuitton thieves.  Those knuckleheads are going to kill some innocent bystander while making their getaway. 

Valued Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Ours is closing also.  I was in it before Christmas and after and didn't find anything to buy (and that's very unusual).  This store was 15 minutes away.  Ther two closest to me now  will be a little over an hour away,  I

There's another Macy's 1/2 hour from me, but it's at Woodfield Mall which used to be the biggest mall in the world.  It always feel like an ordeal when I go there. My shopaholic days are behind me, LOL!

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

We have Kohl's and Penny's too, but I don't consider them better dept stores.

Agreed, I need a place with a full blown cosmetics department with Lauder, Lancome, Clinique, etc. A place where you can get your free gift with purchase when they're offered!

Ulta and Sephora might carry these brands but not the GWP's.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DearPrudence wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Ours is closing also.  I was in it before Christmas and after and didn't find anything to buy (and that's very unusual).  This store was 15 minutes away.  Ther two closest to me now  will be a little over an hour away,  I

There's another Macy's 1/2 hour from me, but it's at Woodfield Mall which used to be the biggest mall in the world.  It always feel like an ordeal when I go there. My shopaholic days are behind me, LOL!

@DearPrudence, I was just at Woodfield earlier today to exchange Fabletics leggings that I'd ordered online. Prior to today, I hadn't been in Woodfield for years. I don't see myself going back anytime soon. I went into the mall through Macy's, I had to ask 3 different employees how the heck to get out into the mall. They have the mall entrance so well hidden, you feel like they don't want you to leave the store!

Where are you located? I'm in Hanover Park, 7-10 minutes from Stratford.

Honored Contributor

Many of the malls here have closed or in the process of closing. Online shopping is not the main reason for the malls closing...in some cases, it is crime. Assaults in mall parking garages and parking lots...shoppers being harassed by teens inside the malls, and shoplifting, an ever growing problem. We now have three malls within driving distance...the closest is 10 miles away; the others are 12 and 30 miles away. There is really nothing I need badly enough to make the trip most of the time. There are several small strip shopping centers now that have freestanding dept stores like Macy’s, JCP, and Dillard’s.
Honored Contributor

Kohl’s has an awful website...not customer friendly at all imo....the only Kohl’s I know of here are all free standing and nowhere close to any malls.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried to order an e-giftcard from Macy’s as a Christmas gift for my sister. She lives out of state from me but they have Macy’s and she likes shopping there. I purchased it online as I always do and got a confirm email and order #....and then an email three days later saying they cancelled my order. They didn’t cancel charging by credit card though.  No reason given for cancelling it. Called. Emailed. Chatted. Finally drove to a store. No one ever could explain why it was cancelled and why my sister didn’t get a Christmas gift from me. I don’t have to wonder why they are closing. I am out the money and no gift card. Customer service is extinct.

Esteemed Contributor

From the Business Insider website:

https://www.businessinsider.com/macys-closing-stores-list-locations-2020-1

Macy's is closing 30 stores — here's the full list

https://www.businessinsider.com/macys-closes-arizona-call-center-affecting-800-jobs-2020-1

Macy's is closing a call center in a move that will affect 800 jobs

I looked at the list of store closures and besides the Seattle flagship store closing in Washington state, the Burlington Macy's store in the Cascade Mall will also be closing. That Macy's store was the unfortunate scene of a mass shooting in September 2016 when 5 people were killed.

I'm sure though that the population around Burlington area (it's off the I-5 interstate area south of Bellingham and north of Marysville) will have plenty of other stores to shop from as there are plenty of outlet malls in the area and the Cascade Mall has a T.J. Maxx, a Target, and a Bath and Body Works store.

Honored Contributor

In my area, JJill is closing the one closest to me about 4 blocks and another one in a northern suburb.  Actually, quite a few stores in our mall have closed.  Coldwater Creek, Coach, H&M, Charming Charlies.  It certainly is not a good sign.  There is a list of stores closing stores or completely going out of business on the Internet.

kindness is strength