Valued Contributor

My closest Macy's is closing in February

I just learned that the Macy's in the mall closest to me will be closing.  I'm going to have to travel a ways to buy Estee Lauder makeup in person.  I like to see lipstick colors in person before I purchase.  I guess everything else I can order online, from Nordstrom to get free shipping.

This mall also had a Carson's, which closed a couple years ago. The Sears store is having their store closing sale now.  Only Kohl's will be left. 

This is in far northwest suburbs of Chicago.

Trusted Contributor

Re: My closest Macy's is closing in February

A similar thing happened in my area.  Even the Kohl's closed!  It certainly slowed my shopping at Brick and Mortar stores.  Since my experiences with QVC have been so negative lately, I am driving the extra time to the nearest mall.

Honored Contributor

I just read this afternoon that they are closing 15 stores.

Trusted Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

I just learned that the Macy's in the mall closest to me will be closing.  I'm going to have to travel a ways to buy Estee Lauder makeup in person.  I like to see lipstick colors in person before I purchase.  I guess everything else I can order online, from Nordstrom to get free shipping.

This mall also had a Carson's, which closed a couple years ago. The Sears store is having their store closing sale now.  Only Kohl's will be left. 

@DearPrudence, the Macy's at Stratford Square in Bloomingdale, IL closed maybe 2 years ago. It's being torn down, a Woodman's is being built there. The only anchor store Stratford has left is Kohls. 

Honored Contributor

I am sad about all the store closings...plus everyone losing their jobs. Online shopping must be a huge reason for the closings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Our Macy's closed 3 or 4 years ago.  It's now a huge Hobby Lobby, which is useless to me.  We have a nice newish mall which is now a shopping wasteland.  Kohl's seems to be doing well but it's away from the mall.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Macy's closest to me will close and clearance sales are scheduled for May.  I am surprised that this store has been opened for so long.

It is old and disgusting filthy.  I haven't set foot in there in years.

I also have one about 25 minutes from me that is clean and well kept.   That one will remain open.  I don't shop at Macy's often, but when I do, I'd rather drive the distance for a better experience.

I live near the Capital of PA and the only department stors we have are Macy's and Boscov's.  I wish we would get a Nordstroms....we have a Nordy warehouse that fulfills  online orders, but no B&M store.

We have Kohl's and Penny's too, but I don't consider them better dept stores.

Trusted Contributor

As a Marshall Field's devotee, I'm glad. I would love to see all of the stupid red star Macy's close. 

Yes, I know the Field's grandson sold the company to Macy's, but irrationally I despise Macy's and will not set foot into their stores.  Field's was so much classier and understated.

Also miss Carson's and Lord and Taylor and Sears.

Chicago's history in the retail arena is disappearing, not to mention under attack, referring to the recent Louis Vuitton store burglaries. 

Scary.

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence wrote:

Wow I hate to see so many stores closing.  Malls were always a fun place for me to go even if I didn't buy anything.  Just fun.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence 

How sad for you and many others.  I too miss many stores we used to have in our home town.. Fords, which was like nordie, mcwhorters office supply, and several family owned shoe stores.  Omg, those shoe stores i miss so much. So helpful.  They could special order if needed,  my older grankids got their first pair of shoes free there.