Honored Contributor

Re: My car was broken into this weekend....

151949 wrote:

You should never leave your purse in your car and if you must then it should be in the trunk where it can't be seen., We have an SUV so if I need to leave my purse in the car I put it under the carpet where the spare tire would go if we had one.

i would not even leave it in the trunk......if i go somewhere it goes with me......or i dont take it at all.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Regular Contributor

@Shaunac

Hi Shaunac,

I had to go downtown once and in a hurry to run a 15 minute errand  and left a cassette recorder on the front seat of my car.   I NEVER leave things worth stealing in plain view, but that day I was in such a hurry I didn't do the visual sweep that's part of my routine prior to leaving the car.  When I returned, my car had been broken into by way of he right rear window and the cassette recorder stolen.  I mean this recorder was a learning too and had cost me $39.99, so no big loss.  I was near city hall, which is in the Western Addition with a high crime rate, so I decided to call it in.  The police said there wasn't much they could do.  However, that evening I was driving south on a freeway and was making a lane change to the right and saw large hand prints and fingerprints on both right windows.  I was thrilled! When I called the police the next day, they said to bring my car on down to the "print garage" and my car would be printed.  A lieutenant lifted the prints and they checked them with prints already in the system.  Though they didn't find a match, the lieutenant told me that the prints appeared to be that of a juvenille and that sooner or later he/she would commit another crime.  At that time they will not only nab him for that crime but also my car break-in.  I appreciated that very much.  That you, SFPD!

Bottom line:  Never, ever leave anything beyond a used tissue in your car when you leave it.  Honestly, leaving ones purse in a car is just asking to have your car broken into.  The advice you're asking for is: leave nothing more behind than a used tissue.

Honored Contributor

I always see people putting Christmas packages into their trunk and then walking back into the mall to do more shopping, and I think people just sit in parking lots watching people do this and then can break into the cars and steal everything that's in the truck or the back of the SUV.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shaunac wrote:

while I was at the gym.  Yes, they stole my purse.  

I stopped right there.  I have Zero Tolerance when it comes to this. 

Why, in heaven's name did you leave your purse in your car?  Even if it's locked in the trunk, people know they have an hour/so to steal it.

Our club manager wants people report if they see anything like that....and I have, many times!   They place a sticker on the window to instruct the car owner to 'please see club manager'...and they in turn remind the car owner to please never do that again.   Why?  It attracts the wrong crowd.  

Your visible purse makes it dangerous for ME.  

I keep belongings with me & out of sight, but if someone just broke into your car...and they're wandering around in the parking lot, they might rob/assault me for the purse I have on my person. 

I'm trying to stay positive, so I'll refrain what I really want to write.

Though, please, please, please....don't ever do this again....for MY safety.

(thanks @brii)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the local gyms a friend of mine belongs to has a problem with cars being broken into and purses stolen.  Apparently thieves know women often leave their purses in the car while they go and work out.   And with many cars, once you break into the vehicle, you have access to the trunk.  My one car doesn't have a way to open the trunk from the outside.  You have to either use the remote or there is a button on the driver side door that opens it. 

I do have a problem with what to do with my handbag when I go and walk an outside track at our local hospital.  I cannot carry my handbag around the track.  It's bad enough I have to carry my keys and my cell with me while I walk.

I hide my handbag while I'm still in my work parking lot which isn't a public lot.      

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope they find the perp(s) so they can be prosecuted!

I don't have any tips for keeping your car safe, other than locking the doors like you did.

But I just wanted to say I never keep my purse in the car. I always carry it with. So if the gym has lockers I would use them.

When my husband was dating me and I lived in the city, one time he left his wallet in the glove box, AND his car doors unlocked. Of course someone got in and took his wallet and cds, etc. A year later would you believe someone mailed his wallet to the house w a note saying they found it in the gutter! He had changed his info immediately after the wallet was stolen (but still it was nice a person found it and mailed it back).

I know you had your doors locked but I just wanted to say; Here in the country where we live now, people left the car doors open last Summer and they were all robbed. Our cars were locked. I always locked car doors having been from the city. But people here always think it will never happen to them. Well of course people steal everywhere! I also see people here who leave their cars running to run in mini markets and all. And I notice women let their purses in their shopping carts while they roam around shopping too! I always shake my head in disbelief!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

while I was at the gym.  Yes, they stole my purse.  Really upset about it.  They tried to use my card at a pizza place, but it was declined as I had already called the bank.  I saw video of them, but didn't recognize them.  Interestingly enough, they drive the exact same car as me.  My son says my car is easy to break into and steal, but driving the same car, I'm sure they practiced.  My question is this.  Do any of you use a wheel lock?  Are they worth it?  I don't mean the money because they are rather cheap, but do they really work?  I stopped using my alarm as sometimes it doesn't connect to the sensor.  I will start using it again.  Any tips for keeping my car safe?  Thanks for any help you can give. 

@Shaunac wrote:

while I was at the gym.  Yes, they stole my purse.  Really upset about it.  They tried to use my card at a pizza place, but it was declined as I had already called the bank.  I saw video of them, but didn't recognize them.  Interestingly enough, they drive the exact same car as me.  My son says my car is easy to break into and steal, but driving the same car, I'm sure they practiced.  My question is this.  Do any of you use a wheel lock?  Are they worth it?  I don't mean the money because they are rather cheap, but do they really work?  I stopped using my alarm as sometimes it doesn't connect to the sensor.  I will start using it again.  Any tips for keeping my car safe?  Thanks for any help you can give. 

You shouldn never, never leave your purse in the car for reasons you just experienced.

Super Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing too.  If they really want to steal your car, they will.  I just thought seeing a wheel lock might deter them and they might move on. I'm afraid they will come back and try to break into my car again.  There won't be any valuables in it, but I'm afraid they will try to steal it. 

I never put my purse in my trunk while in public, always at home so no one will see.  I think it is common for people to leave their valuables in their car while at the gym.  I shouldn't have done so, but really hate to have to change my habits to accommodate thieves.  But will now.  I bought a backpack and will carry my purse in it into the gym.  I don't trust the lockers there. 

Which is why it is a prime place for break -ins.

Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry this happened to the OP.  Was anything else taken or was the car broken into because the purse was in view?

A club may deter the theft of the car but not breaking in to steal valuables in view.

Honored Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

How is a wheel lock going to help from having your purse stolen from your car?  Your car was safe, the contents weren't.