Respected Contributor

Re: My car was broken into this weekend....

Sorry that happened to you!  In addition to finding a way to alarm your car, or otherwise make it harder for thieves, perhaps you could get a Spibelt to wear.  You can keep your drivers license, gym membership card & keys in there while you work out.  Put your purse in your car trunk when you're still at home, so nobody in the gym parking lot will see you do that & try to break into the trunk.  QVC sells the Spibelt V33266 $18.12 plus S/H.  Amazon also has several versions of it at various prices.

Respected Contributor

A friend of mine once put her purse in the trunk someone was watching, they broke in the trunk only to get it.  Never ever leave your purse anywhere.

Sorry this happened to you.

Respected Contributor

I never leave my purse anywhere that I'm not!  Going to the gym, I would only take the things necessary for me, drivers license, small cash, credit card, all could be on something attached to my waist or wrist. There are things out there for sale like a wrist waller. Grandson had a laptop stolen recently from his locked car when he went in to pay for gas.  Took the thieves less than two minutes. If you leave anything in your car, make sure it's something you can do without.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry To Hear.  I've used an Auto Jack.  A steal bar with a lock on the steering wheel but that was years ago when car-jacking was so prevalent.  Wheel lock?  Something for the tire?  We have to make sure that we keep our garage door opener with us when we leave the car because if it's stolen, your address is in the car and the thieves then go to your home, open the garage dooor and walk in and help themselves.

Best of luck in capturing and pressing charges. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Thieves are watching your every more. I'm sure they saw how you don't bring your purse into the gym with you and BAM they rob your vehicle. My hairdresser bought a brand new vehicle and it was stolen out of her driveway the very first night she owned it! They must have followed her home and watched as she didn't put it in her garage and took it that night. She got up the next morning to admire her wonderful new car and it was gone. Biggest lesson I hope the OP learned it to never, never, never leave your purse anywhere! It even drives me crazy when I'm in the grocery store and women leave their purse in the seat of the cart. As they walk around looking at items not paying any attention to who can easily take their purse.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

That happened to my friend.  They sit in the parking lot and watch people go into the gym and then break into their car and steal purses.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one that goes from tbe pedal to the steering wheel. (made by the Club) I prefer it over the one on the steering wheel.

Honored Contributor

You should never leave your purse in your car and if you must then it should be in the trunk where it can't be seen., We have an SUV so if I need to leave my purse in the car I put it under the carpet where the spare tire would go if we had one.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband is a stickler for not leaving anything in the car, including empty boxes or bags.  He says it's an inivitation for someone to break into the car since they don't know the boxes or bags are empty.  I never leave anything on my seats/floor for that reason. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, I have had my car broken into twice.  Both times it was at a mall, around Christmas time.  They never got anything because I would not in billion years ever leave my handbag in my car.  Who the heck does such a thing?  I assume they were looking for packages because another foolish thing that people do when they shop is stash bags and packages in the backseat of their car and run back to the mall to continue shopping.  I never did that, I suppose I've always been a "what if" type of person.  I consider the risks.  As for theft of the car itself, I did use a wheel lock many, many years ago.  They do indeed work.  Like any lock, theives can disengage them but it would take such a long time, no car theif would ever attempt it.  They just move on to a car that's easier to start.  However, a wheel lock isn't going to keep theives from breaking in and stealing anything you chose to leave in the car.