Esteemed Contributor

Re: My car was broken into this weekend....

Wheel locks, the kind that fit over your steering wheel can be defeated.

How?

Simple.

Cut the steering wheel, and slide the lock off.

Done.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

Please do not take this the wrong way, what happened to you should not be considered funny, but I did chuckle. I can just imagine walking out to your car and the whole steering wheel has been removed.

Criminals, will always find a way.

Esteemed Contributor

I no longer make an effort to get to the gym. I just do not have time, but when I did go to the gym, I would always try to shoot home first to drop of my purse, and then just leave with a few essentials that could be kept on me. I know that this is sometimes easier said then done. If you are going after or before work you are in a no win situation.

Honored Contributor

I think that the OP has been spanked (way more than) enough about leaving her purse in her car, so I'll skip past that.  Smiley Happy

What I would speak to would be two things - 

1)  As already mentioned, I agree with having that car alarm checked and make sure you get it in good working order, so that you can depend on it; and 

2)  Some have mentioned (paraphrased) 'well, if a crook wants to break into your car bad enough, no car alarm or anything is going to stop them'.   WELL, what I would say to that is that doing SOMETHING is a lot more than doing nothing.  So there is no reason to leave your property more vulnerable.  

Additionally, and as also mentioned here before, any deterrent is a good idea.   They will go to the easier victims and pass you by if you do what you can do for your own best interest.  This might not be true 100% of the time (there are always dumb crooks out there), but it's certainly a LOT more true than not true.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@Shaunac, I'm sorry you had to go through this, and sorry you've taken a little heat here. The up side? You've helped at least one poster (me) be more conscious of what is in my car in view of potential thieves. Just this morning I took my GPS out, and actually carried my purse with me when I went into a law office for a brief minute that turned into 30. Who knows, maybe you saved me from a break-in today!

My yoga studio doesn't have lockers, just bins, so I bring as little as necessary. Fortunately, I have a locker at my golf club where I also lift weights. But I am going to pay much more attention going forward. Thanks to you.

MaggieMack,

Thank you for your kind words.  Yes, I should have known I would take heat from these boards.  They are rarely always kind.  It touched my hear to hear posters say "I'm sorry this happened to you".  Then when I read others asking how I could be so dumb as to leave my valuables in the car, I was reminded why I often read, but post less and less.   I really hate to have to change the way I do things so as to avoid being the target of a crime, but I do understand these things happen and so I will.  Yes, you're right.  Someone could have been watching you, saw you didn't take your purse inside, and then could have broken into your car.  I'm glad I've helped at least one person.  Again, thank you for your kind words.  I appreciate you. 

Shauna

Trusted Contributor

My purse was not in full view.  It was hidde

@fortune wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

while I was at the gym.  Yes, they stole my purse.  Really upset about it.  They tried to use my card at a pizza place, but it was declined as I had already called the bank.  I saw video of them, but didn't recognize them.  Interestingly enough, they drive the exact same car as me.  My son says my car is easy to break into and steal, but driving the same car, I'm sure they practiced.  My question is this.  Do any of you use a wheel lock?  Are they worth it?  I don't mean the money because they are rather cheap, but do they really work?  I stopped using my alarm as sometimes it doesn't connect to the sensor.  I will start using it again.  Any tips for keeping my car safe?  Thanks for any help you can give. 

I know this is too little too late, but a while back, I learned to NEVER have anything sitting on your car seat that can be seen--even if your car is locked.  Having a purse sitting in full view is something I don't do--even if I lock my car and just run into the post office. 

My purse was not in full view.  It was hidden.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

When my beloved Toyota Camry was stolen back in 1994 I made it a point to spend the $1,000 for LoJack on my nect purchase.  Glad to say I never had to use it but having it gave me peace of  mind.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam