Respected Contributor

Re: My car was broken into this weekend....

If a run of the mill thief wants something inside your car, probably the best system is a good alarm system that senses if doors/trunk are opened or glass is broken.  

Now if someone wants your car that can be tricky.  A killswitch works, I believe there may be remote controlled killswitches now.  I also think they have GPS tracking for cars.

But if it is a high roller thief and they really, really want your car, they load it onto a tow truck. 

Trusted Contributor

Why anyone would leave their purse in their car or truck is beyond me. NOT smart at all.

Esteemed Contributor

every car I buy I purchase Lo Jack from the dealership.  Somebody steals my car it can be tracked.  Well worth the 1,000 dollars spent for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

while I was at the gym.  Yes, they stole my purse.  Really upset about it.  They tried to use my card at a pizza place, but it was declined as I had already called the bank.  I saw video of them, but didn't recognize them.  Interestingly enough, they drive the exact same car as me.  My son says my car is easy to break into and steal, but driving the same car, I'm sure they practiced.  My question is this.  Do any of you use a wheel lock?  Are they worth it?  I don't mean the money because they are rather cheap, but do they really work?  I stopped using my alarm as sometimes it doesn't connect to the sensor.  I will start using it again.  Any tips for keeping my car safe?  Thanks for any help you can give. 

How is a wheel lock going to help from having your purse stolen from your car?  Your car was safe, the contents weren't. 

Good point!  I hadn't even thought of that.  You're absolutely right.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Does not matter if you have a car alarm or anything else. If someone wants to break in your car it's as easy as breaking your window. I'm sorry your purse was stolen but why would you leave it in your car? You won't see anything worth stealing if you look inside my car. I don't keep anything in sight that I don't want stolen. If I was to leave my purse in my car it would be in the trunk. I do that all the time when we travel & stop to eat. I don't want to carry my purse, iPad etc so all those things go in the trunk. We also try to sit some place in the restaurant where we can watch our car while eating.

What's the difference between leaving your purse in the car or the trunk?  They still have access to the trunk. 

They're more likely to see if it it's in the car.  They can't actually see it in the trunk - They only know it's there if they see you put it there, or if they've been watching you and know your habits.

My trunk cannot be accessed from the inside of my car, so someone breaking into my car would not be able to get anything in the trunk.

(I don't leave my purse in my car or my trunk ever.  No reason to tempt fate!)

Honored Contributor

I can honestly say, I've never noticed a woman's purse in a locked car.  Just sitting there on the passengers seat??? That's insane.

I take mine with me and hold it on my lap when I'm getting shampooed at the salon.  I see women leaving their purses at the stylist's station and going to another room for rinsing or dryers, waxing etc.  Insane!

Sure we used to leave our doors unlocked and windows open, but never left our purses out and unattended in public.

Trusted Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

while I was at the gym.  Yes, they stole my purse.  Really upset about it.  They tried to use my card at a pizza place, but it was declined as I had already called the bank.  I saw video of them, but didn't recognize them.  Interestingly enough, they drive the exact same car as me.  My son says my car is easy to break into and steal, but driving the same car, I'm sure they practiced.  My question is this.  Do any of you use a wheel lock?  Are they worth it?  I don't mean the money because they are rather cheap, but do they really work?  I stopped using my alarm as sometimes it doesn't connect to the sensor.  I will start using it again.  Any tips for keeping my car safe?  Thanks for any help you can give. 

How is a wheel lock going to help from having your purse stolen from your car?  Your car was safe, the contents weren't. 

Good point!  I hadn't even thought of that.  You're absolutely right.  :-)

I said the type of car I drive is easy to steal.  I'm afraid they would come back and try to steal my car and that is the reason I asked about the wheel lock. 

Honored Contributor

http://www.fakerubbersnakes.com

1.  Buy fake rubber snake

2.  Place on car seat

3.  Deterrient in place.

Smiley Tongue 😱 🐍🐍🙀

ps...I wouldn't have guessed in a million years there was a website called "FakeRubberSnake'.  Giggle.  

Yes, this suggestion is tongue-in-cheek, but it kinda/sorta has merit, yes?

Respected Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

I know this is too little too late, but a while back, I learned to NEVER have anything sitting on your car seat that can be seen--even if your car is locked.  Having a purse sitting in full view is something I don't do--even if I lock my car and just run into the post office. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Shaunac, I'm sorry you had to go through this, and sorry you've taken a little heat here. The up side? You've helped at least one poster (me) be more conscious of what is in my car in view of potential thieves. Just this morning I took my GPS out, and actually carried my purse with me when I went into a law office for a brief minute that turned into 30. Who knows, maybe you saved me from a break-in today!

My yoga studio doesn't have lockers, just bins, so I bring as little as necessary. Fortunately, I have a locker at my golf club where I also lift weights. But I am going to pay much more attention going forward. Thanks to you.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop