Occasional Contributor

Re: My beagles is ill so Im taking a break from cyber life

When you have time to read this, I wanted to tell you how much I also loved my beagle. They are the most loviing dogs and I have had several different one's.  We who are fur baby lover's can only understand the unconditional love they give us and they don't mouth off or hurt our feelings.  My "Anchor" lived for l4 years and my "Spooner (her partner) lived for 16 year's.  He was never the same when she passed.  We all said, he died from a broken heart.

G-d Bless, and just love her and be so happy you were able to have her in your life.  I love my husband of 42 year's, but, he does not care about pets and I was so young (20) when we were geting married and my mother loved my husband, but, she said, Are you sure you realize you will not change his mind".  She was right and even though we had 2 boys who wanted a dog, I had to stop fighting over it.  Now at 63 and living in an apt., that only allows cats, its too late and I told him, I never would have listened to him if I had to do it all over again.  Their is nothing in the world like the love of a dog.

Thinking of you, Jan

Valued Contributor

Makeup, I've loved lots of dogs in my life, but beagles have been my favorite since I was a litle girl.  I'm now on my fourth one.  She and I both send you lots of love for your ailing Gracie.  You mentioned Lucy - a beagle too?  My avatar is Linus. He crossed the Rainbow Bridge a year ago at age 16. At the end of his life, every day was a gift; I wish the same for you. Hugs and doggie kisses to all of you.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so sorry about little Gracie's problems.  She looks so cute in her picture.  You are doing the right thing by devoting yourself to her well-being.

She already knows how much you love her and will also enjoy her time with you.  I hope for the best with her diagnosis.  Please take care and check back every once in a while to share.  All my best.

Esteemed Contributor

@slim6 wrote:

When you have time to read this, I wanted to tell you how much I also loved my beagle. They are the most loviing dogs and I have had several different one's.  We who are fur baby lover's can only understand the unconditional love they give us and they don't mouth off or hurt our feelings.  My "Anchor" lived for l4 years and my "Spooner (her partner) lived for 16 year's.  He was never the same when she passed.  We all said, he died from a broken heart.

G-d Bless, and just love her and be so happy you were able to have her in your life.  I love my husband of 42 year's, but, he does not care about pets and I was so young (20) when we were geting married and my mother loved my husband, but, she said, Are you sure you realize you will not change his mind".  She was right and even though we had 2 boys who wanted a dog, I had to stop fighting over it.  Now at 63 and living in an apt., that only allows cats, its too late and I told him, I never would have listened to him if I had to do it all over again.  Their is nothing in the world like the love of a dog.

Thinking of you, Jan

Can I softly offer you some options.

Maybe at some point you could volunteer at a shelter, giving the little forgotten ones some love and attention while they await placement in their forever homes?  I bet you would find that rewarding and would help to fill the void in your heart.

Or you may reconsider and adopt a kitty, who would likely adapt to living in an apartment easier than a pup.  Through many, many years we have always had a pet in our lives.  We can't think of a pup anymore.  We're retired, but each with our health issues.  We adopted a Maine Coon kitty two years ago.  This breed has been described as "a cat who thinks it's a dog."  She is outgoing, wants to be where we are, and is a little scamp.  She always makes us laugh.  I do enjoy a long soak in the tub sometimes, but I am never alone.  Lily is sitting in the sink, keeping me company.  She is affectionate, as well.  After a medical procedure that left me so tired, I flopped down on the sofa to take a nap.  Before I knew it, Lily was lying on my chest, giving me a kiss or two.  Can't beat that.  

Trusted Contributor

@makeup addict

You are in my thoughts.  We are in a similar situation.  Our beloved yellow (white) lab

who turned 14 1/2  today is really in a bad way.  He has Cushings Disease and

diabetes, and he is really hanging in there.  We are up 3-4 times every night taking him

out.  It is like having a baby here at home. My husband and I haven't been able to travel

to visit grandkids out of state for several months. We travel separately while one of us stays home with him.

He was diagnosed in Aug 2014.

We may have to surrender in the next few weeks, but we are struggling.  We remember

when he jumped in the air for a frizbee at the beach; he even joined in on an

Ultimate Frizbee game when we visited our son in college 10 years ago. He has given us so much joy. 

It is the hardest thing about dog ownership--knowing what a relatively short life they will

live.  Take care of yourself, and know that we are kindred spirits in our love of our dogs.

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Gracie.  Wishing both of you happy and peaceful times moving forward.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so sorry your beloved baby is so ill and everyone else in the same situation as well.

Enjoy and treasure the time you have left.
Honored Contributor

We are never ready to take this journey, just so heartbreaking.  Loving your precious Gracie and spoiling her is the very best you can do.  Make many memories to keep in your heart forever.  Much love to you and Gracie.

Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear this. I'll be thinking of you. 

Super Contributor

MA, I feel your pain...We had 3 dogs (sisters) who were WombMates, and they were dumped in our neighborhood, in October 1990. I have posted about them many times, but suffice it to say, those 3 dogs were our Best Companions, for 15 + years. They were loving, protecting, and loyal to us and our children, until the day(s) that we had to humanely take them to Our Vet and help them erase their pain/cross the Rainbow Bridge.The eldest sister was almost 20 years old...and she was spoiled during her last 4 years (without her sisters), but she was ready to join them. Oftentimes we have dreams about them, and it's always about the joyous times. I find comfort in the whole concept about the Rainbow Bridge - "Heaven" for our furry Loved Ones. Smiley Happy