Honored Contributor

Re: My bank card has been compromised - AGAIN!!!!

@beach-mom wrote:

Thank you for your comments everyone - it's good to know I'm not alone. I just thought it was strange to have happened twice in the last three months. This is the e-mail my bank sends. I get annoyed with them when they deny charges when we're traveling, but their attention during this more than makes up for it. 

URGENT: Please Verify Recent Card Activity

Your  Card Ending in xxxx

Dear xxxxx

As part of our commitment to protecting the security of your card, we continuously monitor for possible fraudulent activity. We need to verify that you or someone authorized to use your card made the following transaction(s) on your  Card ending in xxxx

Merchant Amount Date Time Location  

Please click on one of the two statements below that best represents the transactions above:

If the dollar amount is not identical to what is shown on a transaction receipt, this may be due to a pre-authorization which has not yet posted to your account.

The merchant location may be different than you expect for internet transactions as they are often cleared through a centralized billing location.

If you have already spoken with us about these transactions, then no further action is required.
Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. If you have any questions about the content of this email, please don't hesitate to contact us at xxx from the U.S. and Canada. If you prefer, use the phone number on the back of your card. For your convenience, we are available to take your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Thank you for being a valued customer.

Sincerely,

@beach-mom
I wouldn't click on the email links (it could be a phising email to see if the account was valid or gather other information if you respond.)  Instead I'd call the number listed on the back of your card and do NOT use a number listed in the email. I'd call and ask if this is a valid email and if verification of purchases came from them and then you can advise if they were fraudulent or not. (sometimes they will contact you to their Fraud Dept and ask you questions or ask you to forward the email without clicking the links to abuse@(then name of the bank the card fomes from).......
I got similiar emails and contacted the bank and the emails were fraudulent...it seems this went on for a couple weeks and I guess the bank must have taken action because the emails stopped altogether. I go online and monitor my transactions to make sure they are correct.  I did go online and change my password too.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

After the same happened to us for the 3rd time I did some investigating on my own.  Here's what my friend who works at a well-known bank told me.  If you have to hand over your card make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN the cashier does not say, "ok, I'll be right back.  The cc machine up here isn't working."  Yell STOP very loudly!!!  They take your card in the back to copy your numbers, including the 3-digit code! (Happened to us at a restaurant on xmas eve!)  Memorize your 3-digit code and cover it with a permanent marker.  Lastly, always say "credit" if they ask debit or credit.  The less you use your pin # the better.  So far, so good!

@Ifeelwicked

There was a news story here a while back where it was found that waiters at restaurants were taking peoples cards going to a nearby gas station and filling up their cars.   Or waiters were righting down card numbers and verification codes and went online to do some shopping.....They were all caught but it's downright crazy!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one but never activated it. After hearing all these stories from the past couple years, I never will

Esteemed Contributor

@BeckiWV wrote:

There was apparently a big yahoo hack today, 500M accounts.  I tried to change my password but I don't know if it worked or not.  I changed my password but still couldn't get in.  It's telling my answers to my security questions are wrong.  I know darn well they are not.  I am waiting for help from yahoo.  Probably be awhile with this many people down.  Boo.  

@BeckiWV The Yahoo hack happened in 2014.  It just became public today.  500M accounts were affected by the hack, but they're not "down." Did you receive an email from Yahoo saying that your account was one of those that was hacked? If so, then you do need to change your password & security info.  You can get info and help by going to the Yahoo website. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@beach-mom
I wouldn't click on the email links (it could be a phising email to see if the account was valid or gather other information if you respond.)  Instead I'd call the number listed on the back of your card and do NOT use a number listed in the email. I'd call and ask if this is a valid email and if verification of purchases came from them and then you can advise if they were fraudulent or not. (sometimes they will contact you to their Fraud Dept and ask you questions or ask you to forward the email without clicking the links to abuse@(then name of the bank the card fomes from).......
I got similiar emails and contacted the bank and the emails were fraudulent...it seems this went on for a couple weeks and I guess the bank must have taken action because the emails stopped altogether. I go online and monitor my transactions to make sure they are correct.  I did go online and change my password too.....

@Spurt - Thanks for this good advice everyone should heed. In my case, the e-mail was signed by the president of the fraud department. The first time this happened to me I looked him up before I did anything, and he was legitimate. As soon as I clicked on the link, my phone rang, and I knew who it was. Since I'd been through this about 3 months ago, I also recognized the e-mail. 

I did change a lot of passwords last night. I was on the phone with our phone provider. It seems someone on the other side of our state used my cell phone to access the Internet last night! I panicked, but the phone company was helpful and everything should be fine now - I hope! 

I was telling a friend who really knows computers about it today. He thinks it's probably a breach with my e-mail. I told him I don't do any banking by e-mail, and I never use a link my bank sends. I go to the site directly, or call them. He said it's amazing how these professional hackers can get information. His advice was just to monitor everything for a while, and be on the lookout for charges from any shopping sites I haven't authorized. I also changed my e-mail password. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
@shoesnbags wrote:
@BeckiWV wrote:

There was apparently a big yahoo hack today, 500M accounts.  I tried to change my password but I don't know if it worked or not.  I changed my password but still couldn't get in.  It's telling my answers to my security questions are wrong.  I know darn well they are not.  I am waiting for help from yahoo.  Probably be awhile with this many people down.  Boo.  

@BeckiWV The Yahoo hack happened in 2014.  It just became public today.  500M accounts were affected by the hack, but they're not "down." Did you receive an email from Yahoo saying that your account was one of those that was hacked? If so, then you do need to change your password & security info.  You can get info and help by going to the Yahoo website. 

Oh thank you for that info.  No, I didn't get an email from yahoo, I got one from a family member.  I tried to change my password and it didn't work, so I went pffft and forgot about it, LOL.  Good to know I probably didn't need to worry anyway.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

duplicate