Honored Contributor

Re: My bank card has been compromised - AGAIN!!!!

@3suwm5

"I thought RFID was the end-all, be-all, maybe I didn't need that bag either????"

Once you take your card out of your bag, it's GAME ON!!!!! for the hackers.

I do not take my card out of it's RFID protection until I am at the cashier to hand it over and/or if I am the one doing the swipping.  AND I make sure my RFID pockebook or RFID wallet is between me & the swipping machine.  Especially if anyone behind me in line are "holding or using" their cell phone.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also, hopefully, people know to have these 'notices' of charges, as BeachMom has.

I went into ALL of my credit AND debit cards and made it so that  any charge that hits my accounts, from a transaction where I did not present the card, generates a notice to me (if you text you can have it text, etc.  I use email).

It is no hassle at all for me to go through the emails and know they are legit and I delete them.  That way you know MUCH faster when something is going on.  

I highly recommend this!   The notice is generated IMMEDIATELY upon a charge attempt.

Honored Contributor

I agree that this has become a royal pain and it's downright scary too.  RFID only protects you from scanning your number.  Your personal information can be stolen so many different ways now.  

Doctors, hospitals, banks, even governments are being hacked constantly.  Your identity can be stolen even if you don't have any credit cards!

Honored Contributor

OP, I'm sorry this happened to you. I assume by "bank card" you mean debit card. 

This might sound weird, but I've stopped using my debit card. I never used it for gas or at restaurants anyway, but I'd use it at the ATM, stores, etc. 

I've gone back to the days of cashing a check and having cash with me (I've always had cash with me) or I use my Discover card and just pay the bill when I get it. I thought it would take me quite awhile to get into the habit of not using my debit card, but it didn't at all. In fact, my new debit card just came in the mail today and I activated it, but I don't plan to use it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

The thieves usually do a small charge to see if it's noticed and if they can get away with it.  I wonder how often they do?  I had one that was an Asia auto parts store in California.

A couple weeks ago I bought a pair of thin credit card size cards from HSN that are supposed to protect everything in your purse.  I'm tired of hearing about RFID this and that, then they hack a store or website and your info is gone anyway.  The latest was Yahoo but a bunch of Wendy's Nationwide were hacked and the one I use was affected, so new debit card.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Our govt supposedly wants to turn us into a cashless society to prevent counterfeiting and money laundering but this problem just seems to be unending!  

Respected Contributor

How frustrating! I've been through this before as well! What do you use the card for? If it's only used occasionally, have the bank check with you before putting any charge through! If it's for daily use, switch to a debit card and keep only the amount of money you need each day or two in it! I also think you can put a "must check ID" for every transaction! That way every cashier must check your ID everytime you use it.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I was told by my bank (BOA) they never send emails for fraud alerts and if I ever receive one, do not respond to it. Also on consumer segments on the news, they've said never respond to emails about bank accounts or credit card accounts.

Our credit card was compromised. We received a phone call asking if either of us had made 2 large purchases, out of state and sent to third parties.

Based on the OP's post, apparently banks and credit card companies do contact you by email.

Honored Contributor

Muttmom - One of my debit cards is BofA and I have it set up to alert me of any charges made, outside of when I am carrying the card, and it emails me every time I use it online.

You can also set it to let you know of any charges above a certain amount of your choosing.  

Trusted Contributor

That happened to us two months ago with a $4 and change charge from a chiropractor.  Now Chase is going insane on the fraud,  I had to call in when an online charge wouldn't go through, and two days ago it happened at a grocery store.  Luckily I had cash, but I called in before I left the parking lot, and she asked if we were traveling.  Really, with hundreds of charges from this town, and at least 10 from this store alone?

While I appreciate their efforts, if it keeps happening, I'm going with cash when I'm in the actual store.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.