Super Contributor

Re: My bank card compromised today

@sunshine45

No he hadn't checked charges for a while as he only used card to pay for car insurance, gas, food and few things from eBay ... has no other bills to pay.  He never dreamed someone he knew would sink so low as to steal from him.  But I'm willing to bet he checks it more often now.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

By 'bank card' do you mean it's a debit card? @I am still oxox

Debit cards are the least secured method of payment when it comes to using plastic. I don't use them anymore after mine was fraudulently used more than once. It's too dangerous and I didn't want my back account emptied.

---------------

Years ago I was told by a banking friend never to use a debit card!  Too easy to get hacked and it gives someone direct access to bank account!!!  Hackers have to know pin numbers etc, but somehow they get that info....

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@IMW wrote:

The protection given in credit card of not being liable for unauthorized charges except for $50, which is usually waved, does not extend to debit cards. With debit card $ is immediately taken out of account. 

I  don’t feel safe using them.

I don't feel safe using mine for anything but getting cash from the ATM at my local bank.  And even then I stay aware of anyone else in the vicinity.

@deepwaterdotter

Be careful even with the ATM at your local bank.  There was a news story in my city where a thief had put one of those skimmers in a bank ATM to steal information---talk about BOLD!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox

Sorry to hear about your bank card. Even with not being liable for the money, it is still a hassle.  

Be sure to watch your account.  I had a couple of companies with whom I had a regular charge be able to to use my old number and the charge still showed up after the date the compromised card was to have been closed. 

(In my case, it didn’t matter as I had simply forgotten about the yearly charge and I would have renewed the service anyway but,

it still bothered me that they were able to get the charge approved without anyone contacting me.)

My bank also told me that fake cards are made up using information from your card (whether from taking the information from your credit card when you use in person or from taking information from a website or telephone order - think how many businesses make you put in the security code).

Then, they are able to have a card in your name and swipe at businesses.  

My banker also suggested that one shouldn’t let your card out of sight, for example at restaurants, hotels, and some stores, as some unscrupulous waitstaff or clerks, will make duplicates to get cards or make charges.  

And, as others have mentioned, gas pumps are notorious and be extremely careful using debit cards.  

It it is unfortunate that the same technology that does, at times, make life easier also brings out the unscrupulous and thieving nature of some people.  

Good luck and wishing you all the best.

Honored Contributor

@trenet

The number was used twice for online purchases yesterday, I had a wild thought, if I could call both of the companies and try to track down info on the specific charge.

@trenet wrote:

@I am still oxox

Sorry to hear about your bank card. Even with not being liable for the money, it is still a hassle.  

Be sure to watch your account.  I had a couple of companies with whom I had a regular charge be able to to use my old number and the charge still showed up after the date the compromised card was to have been closed. 

(In my case, it didn’t matter as I had simply forgotten about the yearly charge and I would have renewed the service anyway but,

it still bothered me that they were able to get the charge approved without anyone contacting me.)

My bank also told me that fake cards are made up using information from your card (whether from taking the information from your credit card when you use in person or from taking information from a website or telephone order - think how many businesses make you put in the security code).

My banker also suggested that one shouldn’t let your card out of sight, for example at restaurants, hotels, and some stores, as some unscrupulous waitstaff or clerks, will make duplicates to get cards or make charges.  

And, as others have mentioned, gas pumps are notorious and be extremely careful using debit cards.  

It it is unfortunate that the same technology that does, at times, make life easier also brings out the unscrupulous and thieving nature of some people.  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

I bet those “safe sites”that you shop.at do not/ask for the 3  digit security code on the back of your credit card when you place a order.  Credit card thieves can easily obtain your CC number, Exp date and your name because it is embossed on your card.  The only thing they cannot get unless they have the physical card in front of them is that 3 digit code because it is not embossed on the card or embedded in the security magnetic strip and yet very few web vendors ask for that code when placing a order on line so you;see your  “safe sites” are not so,safe.

Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@trenet

The number was used twice for online purchases yesterday, I had a wild thought, if I could call both of the companies and try to track down info on the specific charge.

@trenet wrote:

@I am still oxox

You should be able to find out what for what business the charge was made. Past that, I don’t know.  Good luck. 

I learned of one of my compromised charges when Nordstrom refused an online charge because it looked suspicious.  (It was not being sent to me.) 

They gave me the town (about 100 miles away but, I didn’t even have this card the last time I was in that metro area which was more than 20 years ago!)

——to which the package (beauty products) was to be sent when they were checking with me to see if the charge was mine -  (they told me Privacy laws prevented them from giving me an exact address!).  

They said the bank would need a subpoena to get the address from them IF they were pursuing prosecution and, that I could not independently get the information.  

(When I called my bank, I learned that another beauty company had already authorized other charges. Evidently, someone needed a big supply of makeup!)

The bank rep. told me they wouldn’t pursue because it would cost too much and, that usually a single charge would have to be a minimum of $5,000 for  them to even consider prosecuting.  

I think that contributes to people thinking they can and getting away with this type of crime. 

If you decide to pursue, I’ll be interested in hearing of the results.

Good Luck!

Super Contributor

@IMW wrote:

The protection given in credit card of not being liable for unauthorized charges except for $50, which is usually waved, does not extend to debit cards. With debit card $ is immediately taken out of account. 

I  don’t feel safe using them.

Banks will refund the entire amount that was stolen from a debit card.  There is no $50 liability, they cover the entire amount, or at least Chase does as it did for me.

Super Contributor

@sidsmom

@sidsmom wrote:

I realize certain credit history prohibits a credit card, but it really

is the safest instrument to use at a direct point of sale. 

Not necessarily a credit history but by choice.  Many of us would rather pay for something immediately than pay finance charges monthly.  I chose not to use credit cards and haven't had a Visa, MC, Discover, AMEX or other for over nine years since I cut up my credit cards.  Debit cards work fine for me and I know I won't have a bill come the following month.  Possibly people prefer credit cards because they can't afford to pay up front and need time fto pay for purchases.