Honored Contributor

Re: My bank card compromised today

@millieshops

I believe this case of phising and the online site where the purchases were made did not require the 3 digit code.

@millieshops wrote:

@I am still oxoxIs there such a thing as a safe site?  I know some are safer than others, but I really never feel like I'm totally safe.

Just a few days ago, I was with friends and one woman who has the same first name as mine told me that when she had started to type her name into Amazon where she is a Prime member, my name came up on her screen!  How scary is that -  we don't shop together, we don't have similar last names, we don't live in the same zip code.  Why should she ever see my name on her screen?

I did call Amazon and ask to have my info removed from their system, but I can't say I feel all that much safer even so.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Same thing happened to me three days ago.  It has been at least a decade -- if ever -- that I used my bank card at Walmart.  Ever since the problem at Target, I have written checks to both places or used cash.

Well, within 24 hours of my using that card, someone tried to use my data at a Walmart in my hometown in Maryland, about an hour away.  

Could not believe it!

I was alerted by text; asked if I had made the purchase; I responded no; was told to call them.  Must wait for new card.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I forgot to say, as to how this happens - 

There are thieves out there who just contantly run numbers until one comes up valid and they try to use it.   They must have some kind of program that just runs through combinations of numbers until one is good.

So, this isn't always our fault when it happens.  I'm super careful where I give my private info and have had this happen a few times over the last 10-15 years.   It was usually just random and not having anything to do with anywhere that I used card numbers.

How do they get those 3 number codes on the back?

Trusted Contributor

Mine was compromised at a doctors office. I only had the debit card for three days. 

It was only used to pay my husbands medical bills. I had only paid three bills. 

Two days later we got the call it was compromised. 

The credit union was quite accusatory and felt it was I who made the erroneous charges. 

Two of which were bus passes. I said to her I own a car I never take the bus. 

I explained I used the card three times and it was compromised. 

A month later we got the doctor bill I had used the debit card for. They were billing

again for the whole amount. I called stated who I spoke to that I used the debit card over the phone. Gave the conformation number. She comes back and states the card was 

never charged. That is when I knew who it was. We reported it to the doctor and the police. I do not know if anything was ever done to the person who used our card. 

I learned my lesson never use a debit card by calling it in. 

It is sad nothing is safe anymore.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

By 'bank card' do you mean it's a debit card? @I am still oxox

Debit cards are the least secured method of payment when it comes to using plastic. I don't use them anymore after mine was fraudulently used more than once. It's too dangerous and I didn't want my back account emptied.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox

"How can this happen, I use my card on safe sites."

Those are the sites that are always hacked!  If I were you, I would avoid the "online" retailer you used your cc for.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

It's awful, isn't it? Just last week I had a thief somehow get my credit card number, and the 3 digit security code on back and my name and address. This scum of the earth person used my card number on Ebay, paid going through paypal and was buying items from a music store in the state of New York. I don't live in New York. 

They were going to have $1803.00 worth of music equipment shipped to my house and sit and watch for it to be delivered and then walk up on my front porch and walk away with the goods. 

I can't believe the nerve of these people.....scum of the earth as far as I'm concerned.

Whomever it was got access to my card while I was walking through the parking lot at Publix or while I was inside shopping. At least that's how my husband and I figure since it was the only place I had gone to the same day it happened.

All is well now though since we caught it so soon. Jerks, expecting me to buy them Christmas presents. Idiots....

I'd like to see them arrested and put in jail, now that's a fine Christmas gift for me. 

I had 5 stretch pays fro JTV that I had to put on hold until my new card showed up and then I had to wait to get the money put back on as available credit. They sure screwed me up. 

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

There are thieves out there who just contantly run numbers until one comes up valid and they try to use it.   They must have some kind of program that just runs through combinations of numbers until one is good.

So, this isn't always our fault when it happens.  I'm super careful where I give my private info and have had this happen a few times over the last 10-15 years.   It was usually just random and not having anything to do with anywhere that I used card numbers.

You don't always need them.

My AMEX was compromised twice in 2 yrs. Each time they put thru a small charge first. Less than $10.

If those go thru, they try for bigger amounts.

I only have 2 cc's and both let you set up alerts if there's a charge with no card present I get a txt.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

From the "dark web" where a cc# can be matched up to the 3 digit security code.  Once your cc is compromised, it is sold to hackers on the "dark web"  all in a matter of minutes and/or at the blink of an eye.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac

If it was a hacked site it was with in two mintues of using the card.

@Mz iMac wrote:

@I am still oxox

"How can this happen, I use my card on safe sites."

Those are the sites that are always hacked!  If I were you, I would avoid the "online" retailer you used your cc for.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.