Respected Contributor

Re: My Whirlpool Cambrio Washing Machine

@kivah     You did the correct thing by making a warranty claim. I swear appliances these days must have an internal clock that alerts them to the warranty expiration date. I had a front loading washing machine that went  bad just one week after the regular warranty expired. The repair on replacing a bad bearing would have cost more than a new top loader. My Whirlpool dishwasher less than 3 years old stopped draining the water. After paying $125 for a repairman to come out and tell me that It needed a new water pump and it  may not be available for months I bought a new dishwasher.  I did get the extended warranty. If your washer is 5 years old the warranty may be pretty expensive. 

Trusted Contributor

Googled problem-not sure if you have a touch pad or dial...but here are two solutions

Try the Cabrio Reset Procedure

Touch any button that you see on your display pad. This will clear the error code. Or you can press PAUSE/CANCEL. Choose a cycle and press START.
or
How do I reset my Whirlpool Cabrio washer?
Press the Start Stop button once. Rotate the dial until Rinse, Wash, and Stop light illuminate. Turn the washer off and unplug it for 10 seconds. Finally, turn on the washer and it should now be reset.

I always google my issue first.  Sometimes it's an easy reset fix.  When it isn't I start looking at what to do next.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

@50Mickey My DD bought an LG top loader 8 years ago to replace a Kenmore washer that lasted 25! years.  Yes, that's 25 years.  The salesman told her that she would be lucky to get 8 years out of todays washers.  Well, last week it died - at 7-3/4 years old.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unplug the washer and open the lid. Then wiggle some wires, plug back in and see what happens.  My washer only needed a new lid switch. It thought the lid was open and wouldn't spin. Once I wiggled the wires it advanced to the next cycle. Mine is a GE.

Valued Contributor

@kivah wrote:

Just used my washing machine and it keeps flashing on RINSE - doesn't move to SPIN. I have one more week on my warranty - but I wonder if it's an easy fix. It's 5 yrs old.

I have the Maytag Bravos (essentially the same washer as yours, I think mechanically they are identical). Mine is also a top loader and have had about 4 years. I have had this happen, the balance was off.  As previous mentioned, try resetting it. Fingers crossed, that worked for mine.  

Trusted Contributor

@chlema It's almost like they have an expiration date built into the electronics sometimes.  And for me another appliance almost always fails with the first one!  I try and do serious research before I buy now.  I had the hardest time with a refrigerator.  Most have only one compressor which functions for both the fridge and freezer.  So when your compressor dies you lose both functions.  I found one that had 2 one for the fridge and a separate on for the freezer.  I wanted that since I had 2 fridge compressors die and it was aggrevating that both sections died.   My research drives my husband nuts.  He just would rather go in find one that "looks good" and get out.  I research everything from the price, function, size, reviews you name it.  

Respected Contributor

I had a Cambrio, lasted less than five years. The worst washing machine I ever owned.

Repairmen will tell you to "unplug" and then plug back into the wall.  Some times this "resets" electronics.  

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

@kivah     You did the correct thing by making a warranty claim. I swear appliances these days must have an internal clock that alerts them to the warranty expiration date. I had a front loading washing machine that went  bad just one week after the regular warranty expired. The repair on replacing a bad bearing would have cost more than a new top loader. My Whirlpool dishwasher less than 3 years old stopped draining the water. After paying $125 for a repairman to come out and tell me that It needed a new water pump and it  may not be available for months I bought a new dishwasher.  I did get the extended warranty. If your washer is 5 years old the warranty may be pretty expensive. 

After the washing machine repairman comes out on the 26th (using my warranty) - I realized that I won't be buying another warranty. Best to buy another washer. They make appliances today that don't last long. Many years ago, I had a washer and dryer - one lasted 26 yrs and the other 30 yrs. That's why the stores/manufacturers sell all those warranties - that's where they make their money.

Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

If you only have one more week before the warranty ends, I would not fool around with it, call Whirlpool immediately and ask them what the flashing means. 

That's what I decided to do. Thanks

I just called a local repair co. and the guy said the flashing rinse cycle could be many things.Decided to wait til the 26th for the repair company thru Lowes to come down.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

@kivah wrote:

Just used my washing machine and it keeps flashing on RINSE - doesn't move to SPIN. I have one more week on my warranty - but I wonder if it's an easy fix. It's 5 yrs old.

Have you tried Googling the problem?  I've done that many times on my appliances and sometimes it helps.  I always find an article that has had the same problem. 

You may find an answer here also.  Just wanted to suggest Google.  Good luck and hope it's not an expensive repair.

The answers to the problem on-line get complicated. I'm going to have a friend disconnect it and then plug back in. That's what many people said to do.