Respected Contributor

Just yesterday, I was rolling along a designated one-way aisle in the local Publix when  an older man and his cart came toward me the wrong way.  As I passed him, I mentioned to him that it was one-way.

He snorted at me in disgust.  LOL!!

Can't tell you how many people in multiple stores have been ignoring the "social distancing " rule, much less the posted one-way aisle rule.

I guess it's up to customers to TRY to shame people into observing the guidelines.  Not sure I'm up to the enforcement task, however.

Honored Contributor

Re: My Wal-Mart observation

[ Edited ]

@KKJ wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@pigletsmom   Exactly...our walmart does not have one way aisles but weeks ago an elderly couple were shopping together and pretty much stopped in the middle of the end of the aisle..I could not get around them.

Instead of asking them to move I went to the other aisle...picked up what I wanted and headed back to the 'original' aisle...they were still there...again  I did not ask them to move...I guess I should have offered to help them...I just moved on to a different aisle.

Exactly!!  I notice elderly people won't move and will block an area for a long time. And don't get me started on those motorized carts!

@KKJ, I wish that you had not "started" on the elderly, as if they a some monolithic group. But even if they were all slow, then that means that will be slow at that age. And maybe a little empathy for those who need those carts?

As a senior citizen myself, you won't hear me grousing about people with kids taking up all the room. Life stages -- we all go through them as best as possible.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
they have one door to enter and another door,, at the opposite end of the storefront, to exit. They have someone standing by each door to make sure nobody goes in or out the wrong door. So far, I have not seen anyone observe the plan...and the workers at the door are always on their phones so they don't even look up.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@pigletsmom   Exactly...our walmart does not have one way aisles but weeks ago an elderly couple were shopping together and pretty much stopped in the middle of the end of the aisle..I could not get around them.

Instead of asking them to move I went to the other aisle...picked up what I wanted and headed back to the 'original' aisle...they were still there...again  I did not ask them to move...I guess I should have offered to help them...I just moved on to a different aisle.

Exactly!!  I notice elderly people won't move and will block an area for a long time. And don't get me started on those motorized carts!

@KKJ, I wish that you had not "started" on the elderly, as if they a some monolithic group. But even if they were all slow, then that means that will be slow at that age. And maybe a little empathy for those who need those carts?

As a senior citizen myself, you won't  me grousing about people with kids taking up all the room. Life stages -- we all go through them as best as possible.

@suzyQ3   I wish people wouldn't start in about motorized carts, either.  I'll say  no more. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Our Walmart put in the one-way aisles just recently, so the last time I went was the first time they were in effect.  I have to admit that I did half my shopping before I realized they were there!  I don't spend a lot of time looking at the floor, and I thought the signs were a little small to be very effective.

Ours is a small town, so when I go to Walmart, they normally have only a fraction of the people that they're allowed in the store now.  So it really wasn't much of a problem even when many people weren't following the rules.  

A couple of times if I needed to go against the arrow, if the aisle had no people, I left my cart out of the way and walked down (against the arrow) and got what I needed.  But only if the aisle was vacant.

Trusted Contributor

No one where I live is social distancing at all at any of the stores I've been to.  All the stores have signs up but people just ignore them.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

As a senior citizen myself, you won't  me grousing about people with kids taking up all the room. Life stages -- we all go through them as best as possible.

@suzyQ3   I wish people wouldn't start in about motorized carts, either.  I'll say  no more. 

Absolutely, @Cakers3, I did mention that as well.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Good grief, sometimes I think people can't wait to just jump all over anything anyone posts here. I wasn't referring to the elderly being slow as you put it. It's just that in my experiences, they sometimes will congregate and not move blocking an aisle. Now , yes, before you attack me again, I will say younger people do it too.  Please stop taking offense at every little thing. Am going out for some fresh air. Think some others could use it too.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

I don't really get the point of the arrows. You still have to walk past people. Are we supposed to just stand in an aisle for 10 minutes while everyone ahead of us browses. I normally spend under 10 minutes shopping. Now I have to spend even more time in the store upping people's risk?

I second this observation 100%.  Are you all just standing there waiting for the people ahead of you to move along the aisle so that you can move, too?  No one can move any farther than the next customer in your aisle?  Seems like that would take forever, when my goal is to get in and get out.  I’m all for spacing out lines at the registers and wearing masks and gloves, but I’m really glad my grocery store has not instituted the one way lock step aisles. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
they have one door to enter and another door,, at the opposite end of the storefront, to exit. They have someone standing by each door to make sure nobody goes in or out the wrong door. So far, I have not seen anyone observe the plan...and the workers at the door are always on their phones so they don't even look up.

I'm so sorry your stores allow employess to be on the phone. None of the stores in my area allow that.