Respected Contributor

My Virtual Kindergarten update

Some of you  have read my posts regarding my adventure of sitting with my grandson for virtual kindergarten this year so I just wanted to give a little update and maybe vent a bit.

I have been vaccinated and boostered so while my daughter is working from home due to covid I have been sitting with him daily.. 

So here's my latest take on virtual kindergarten. I have so much respect for this teacher and all teachers rather virtual or in school. We are half way thru the school year and I realize many parents are dealing with the difficulties of working and keeping their children on track with school. We are all dealing with alot nowadays. At this point in school I would expect children to be so familiar with the daily routine and the parents as well. I sometimes have to remind my grandson to stay focused and listen to the teacher so he can get directions on the daily work but I am amazed at how many children are still playing with other children in their home during class, having conversations with family members while the teacher is teaching ( I hear them in the background and the teacher has to remind the child to mute the zoom call so we can't hear their conversations) I see children lying in bed while in class, playing with pets, toys etc.

I don't think some parents take kindergarten seriously ! It's part of their education !!  This teacher has to constantly tell children to get their workbooks and some can't find them. Where are the parents or guardian ???  I feel for the kids but especially for the teacher !!.  I really hope our children in all grades can bounce back after all they are dealing with during the times we are in now. That's my vent for the day, thanks  

Honored Contributor

Re: My Virtual Kindergarten update

[ Edited ]

I know exactly how you feel.  I've said it before "Dysfunctional families are growing!!!".

Unfortunately, not all parents are educated "I did ok, you will too" which I have heard as a teacher.  Our poor children suffer since they will always live in a new world of technology and end up voting which will effect their future and all futures.

As a teacher, I always discussed being a responsible adult with every student, every class since I may not get them back.  "Be aware!".

Respected Contributor

Zoom teaching is horrible, but especially for the very young. They cannot stay focused for long periods of time. Not every child has a wonderful grandparent able to help him. Children must get back in school. Studies show that children are very far behind because of this remote teaching. Who knows if they will ever be able to catch up.

Respected Contributor

The problem doesn't lie in children's short attention spans. Teachers are well aware of young children's limits and time activities accordingly. The problem is the lack of supervision. If a child is home for virtual instruction, then who is home with that child? A parent or adult in charge needs to be watching the children and keeping them on task. Obviously this is not happening.

If I remember correctly it was my understanding that @Goodie2shoes was helping her grandson because the family had elected to do virtual learning instead of attending class in person. They asked her to help and made arrangements for their little guy to succeed. I applaud their decision to keep their young child safe from COVID and to assure his success. Apparently some other parents who chose virtual learning did not prepare for the commitment it would require. The single largest factor in a child's success in school is parental involvement.

Hats off to @Goodie2shoes and her family!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a young friend who teaches kindergarten. She couldn't get a job after she graduated, but then the pandemic hit and a lot of teachers in her district retired. She said she's having trouble because a lot of parents will sit their children down with a bowl of cereal or something. Too many parents don't treat it as being in class. The children are not focused unless an adult is right there. Some will leave in the middle of a lesson to play with the dog. 

Her school district is hybrid right now. She is in the classroom, but she is on Zoom for the children who are still home. Like @Goodie2shoes' daughter, parents have the option. 

Masks are still required. She said it's hard for her to teach letter sounds because they can't see her lips form the sounds.

I hope her mask restrictions are lifted soon. And yes - Bravo to the parents and grandparents like @Goodie2shoes who are supervising these children while they learn.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@On Itwrote:

If I remember correctly it was my understanding that @Goodie2shoes was helping her grandson because the family had elected to do virtual learning instead of attending class in person. They asked her to help and made arrangements for their little guy to succeed. I applaud their decision to keep their young child safe from COVID and to assure his success. Apparently some other parents who chose virtual learning did not prepare for the commitment it would require. The single largest factor in a child's success in school is parental involvement.

Thanks for the comment. I am retired and what better job than to be there for my grandson. Yes I want him to succeed and sometimes I am exhausted from the long day from 8:30 to 2:15 although they have breaks and lunch and he is a busy little guy. He never walks, just walks fast or runs so I understand that age group, so much energy !  Yes it is a committment and I am so thankful that his mom and Dad are dedicated to his success.  Some of the children are doing great and their is a parent or guardian right there for them but  some are not and it shows in class.  Sad

Honored Contributor

I feel for all those in education right now--  students of all ages, but especially the little ones, teachers at all levels and certainly parents, especially parents who for whom work is a financial necessity and who have little or no local family support.

I am concerned that as a society we are losing a generation of education with both students and teachers dropping along the wayside.  I wish I had solutions.  

Trusted Contributor

If you weren't there what would your daughter be experiencing working at home with virtual school??????  Not all parents are lucky to have someone else who can assist.  She is extremely lucky to have you there.  STOP complaining and venting at other parents accusing them of being irresponsible.

What you are describing is exactly why Virtual school especially for such young children is a BAD idea.  What the teachers are telling kids through the video is the exact same thing they are doing when the kids are in school.  Kindergarteners need to be reminded constantly.  They lose things all the time.  In fact these reminders don't stop in kinderten - as a parent of Middle and High schoolers we experience the exact same thing.

Vitual school especially for those in elementary school is giving kids a giant disservice.  Kids need to be with other kids.  They need to be social with other kids.  If these kids continue with elementary school virtually there will be huge social problems and yes their learning is going to be behind.

If kindergarten is Virtual that means those same parents are likely trying to Work at Home and may have other kids at home in Virtual school as well. This is a huge nightmare for all involved. Please put yourself in the shoes of that parent who may have multiple kids in Virtual Preschool and elementary school at the same time.  Just imagine how difficult that would be.

Esteemed Contributor

How are the pre-schools doing during the Pandemic? My son, now 48, loved pre-school from age 3 until 5 when he began Kindergarten.

We moved every year or two, making it necessary for him to attend pre-school as a way to make new friends in a new City and to socialize well. We didn't have the choice of buying a home with built-in pre-schoolers in the neighborhood even though the Grade School was two blocks away.

We selected a co-op pre-school with parents participating in the running the school (as well as a monthly tuition), helping with the healthy daily snacks and class tours of various child-friendly venues around the metro area in Ohio. By participating in the school a couple of times per month, we knew the other children and their parents. It was a win-win for us, as well. Quickly we were having play-dates in our home, as well as taking our son to other homes, which would never have happened without pre-school. 

When it came time for my grandson to attend a pre-school at age three, my son and DIL also choose a hands-on pre-school. They also preferred the parental involvement. 

Pre-schools. What is experience do you have? Or your grandchildren's?

Money screams; wealth whispers.