Respected Contributor

I just need to vent a little, please bare with me. I had a Achilles Tendon repair on 12/16/15, no weight bearing for 2 weeks post surgery so I used a walker to hop around the house. I've been in a cam-walker boot since 12/29 and if anyone has ever been in one of these boots you know what I am going thru. I know it's necessary for the healing process and to prevent further injury to my foot so I'm not really complaining, just venting because it's such a hassle. 5 velcro straps to close the boot on my foot when up then un velcro to take it off. If I am up walking to much the foot starts to hurt so the boot comes off then I'm elevating my foot in bed. Up to the bathroom, boot back on, etc, etc.  If you are not familiar with this boot, please go to  www.orthotape.com/cam_walkers.asp

to take look ( I don't know how to post a picture here).  If you have been in a cam walker, how long did you have to wear it ?   Any suggestions on making this process easier ?  I see the Ortho next week but I don't anticipate getting out of it yet, just started Physical Therapy a week ago

Honored Contributor

I broke a bone in my foot, that took a very long time to heal.  I wore one of these for the better part of 3 months.

you get through it.  At least you are mobile, even if it is cumbersome. It was easiest for me to wear leggings and put the boot over them.  That was about 20 years ago, when leggings were in.  They're in again...so you'll be stylish.

Hope you heal up with good results.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry you are going through this, @Goodie2shoes.  They are a pain.  I sprained my ankle 3yrs ago and had the one size fits all.  I only stayed in it for a week.  DH got me a walker and I used the rolling desk chair to get around.  I also have a single story so rolling to the bathroom was no problem, just the shower.  I didn't have therapy, so I was lucky that way.  Did your therapist tell you to keep wearing it?  Wishing a quicker recovery from this point on----------tedEbear

Valued Contributor

I know how you feel,i broke a bone in my left foot in 2014....I hated this boot so what i did was use a walker upstairs and a knee scooter we rented downstair.s..I would use walker to get to the stairs then go down on my butt then transfer to scooter at the bottom of the stairs.These scooters are great and i would even take in to the stores when someone went with..I could drive so when i did i used crutches to get to and from...I also used a ace bandage when i went out for some protection.I had the scooter for 2 months then i could wear a shoe and walk on it....Hope you find a way that works for you and have a speedy recovery.

Honored Contributor

i had one of these after i tore a tendon/ligament in september while on the beach. i didnt have any surgery, but i did need the boot. it really  helped me quite a bit, especially with the pain and swelling i experienced. i wore it for about six weeks. i even wore it longer than the doctor told me to. the last appointment i went into he said i should go for some physical therapy to avoid having to possibly have a steroid injection. i kept wearing the boot another week or so before i got my foot into shoes again. my foot really felt better in that boot than out of it. i was just so happy to be mobile!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

thanks for the feedback. In response to  tedEbear's question re therapist instructions on wearing the boot, no he did not but my Ortho MD says I can only take it off at night while sleeping. Initially he told me to wear it at all times including sleep. That was so uncomfortable.  So I have progressed a little which is good.  I will get thru it, it's just that I am not used to being so limited. I had a knee replacement in May of last year, same leg and got thru that so I know I will be fine. Thanks again for your feedback and well wishes, MD says 3-6 months for recovery, hope I don't have to wear the boot for that long.

Regular Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I just need to vent a little, please bare with me. I had a Achilles Tendon repair on 12/16/15, no weight bearing for 2 weeks post surgery so I used a walker to hop around the house. I've been in a cam-walker boot since 12/29 and if anyone has ever been in one of these boots you know what I am going thru. I know it's necessary for the healing process and to prevent further injury to my foot so I'm not really complaining, just venting because it's such a hassle. 5 velcro straps to close the boot on my foot when up then un velcro to take it off. If I am up walking to much the foot starts to hurt so the boot comes off then I'm elevating my foot in bed. Up to the bathroom, boot back on, etc, etc.  If you are not familiar with this boot, please go to  www.orthotape.com/cam_walkers.asp

to take look ( I don't know how to post a picture here).  If you have been in a cam walker, how long did you have to wear it ?   Any suggestions on making this process easier ?  I see the Ortho next week but I don't anticipate getting out of it yet, just started Physical Therapy a week ago

Ok first off I thought the story was going to be that you are sick of people walking around with cameras on their heads or hats or what ever! ha ha! But I am sorry you are having to wear this thing. I hope you get better fast!!! 

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Suzy CurlyQ  wrote:  Ok first off I thought the story was going to be that you are sick of people walking around with cameras on their heads or hats or what ever! ha ha! But I am sorry you are having to wear this thing. I hope you get better fast!!! 

Thanks for the great laugh and well wishes !  that was so funny, made my day !