Valued Contributor

Re: My Thoughts on the 9/11 Anniversary

@jannabelle1 

I'm not a teacher but, I was sent a picture of the lawn in front of a high school with a sea of American flags ... one flag for each life lost on that dreadful day.  These high schoolers weren't born yet so, at this particular school, the 9/11 assault on our country was taught in the classroom.

Respected Contributor

I saw the towers as they were being built. Each day it seemed as though they were rising into the heavens.

I saw each tower as it was hurting, and as each came falling down from the heavens.

I stood by the first time in 1993 when they were bombed and the people were being guided out.

I saw the firemen and police and dogs go to the towers to help.

I saw, and watched each time, and the last time on 9/11 I knew that was the end.

Mine was on the 98th floor South tower.

Have not gone back to that area since, and never will.

Honored Contributor

I was watching QVC  before work and Jill was on hosting... she suggested we turn to our news station.... I had not a clue  what was going on until I turned the channel and saw the burning buildings... 

Honored Contributor

I had just dropped my  eldest at pre-school and had my 1 year old in the car; was listening to the Jack Diamond show on 107.3 when they started discussing it. At first the crew thought it was a touring airplane/helicopter but then they mentioned the second plane...and what a horrible accident and what happened. Jimmy Alexander made the most chilling comment: "what if it WASN'T an accident though?!" He said it softly and I NEVER forgot hearing it. I wonder if he remembers saying it.

The more I heard, the more uneasy I felt. Then I heard the Pentagon had been hit. My father was there. I called him and it rang busy. Tried his cell; no connection. I tried my husband who at FBI headquarters that morning; he was going to meet my dad for lunch. Couldn't get through. Tried his cell...couldn't get through. 

I went back to the pre-school to pick up my son. No one had heard about it just yet because the children were in Synagogue. I told the Director, she pulled up the news on her computer, gasped and well, at least she was prepared for the parents arriving (like myself) to pick up their children out of the blue.

At home, I just held my boys and watched. Other moms and I spoke on the phone: we found out that a family member of one of the teachers had been on the first plane. Found out later that spouses of 3 teachers had been killed. In the end, many at the school had family in NYC that were missing/killed. Each call brought more horrible news.

I heard from DH around 1 pm; he and my Dad were safe. A close friend and colleague of my Dads' was killed, however. They arrived home around 8 pm due to traffic.

Will NEVER forget that day. 

Contributor

I live about 12 miles from where Flight 93 crashed.  I worked at our local school district at the time. I can remember what I was wearing on that hot, sunny day and the fact that we were preparing for a school board meeting that night.  One of our board members called the superintendent to tell him of a plane crashing near Shanksville.  I still cry when I think of those brave people on that plane.  I have tears in my eyes now.  Never forget!

Esteemed Contributor

Both the Discovery Channel and the History Channel are running programs about 9/11.

Most I have seen before, but I always re-watch on the anniversary.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Everyone’s own experience that day has been interesting to read. Love this thread.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

To add to all the posts here;

If ever there was an act of tremendous selfless courage,

"Are you guys ready? Let's roll!"-

Todd Beamer right before he and other passengers charged the cockpit of flight 93.

That along with everything else on that tragic day, like everyone else,

I'll never forget.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I remember the calls home - from an airplane, from the towers.  "I just wanted to tell you that I love you."  The most important words in life.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

To add to all the posts here;

If ever there was an act of tremendous selfless courage,

"Are you guys ready? Let's roll!"-

Todd Beamer right before he and other passengers charged the cockpit of flight 93.

That along with everything else on that tragic day, like everyone else,

I'll never forget.

AF Pilots were scrambled to take down further threatening planes.  They were NOT armed (there wasn't time) - they would have to ram the planes - like kamikazi pilots.  Thankfully, they did not have to - the passengers did it themselves.  Heroes all!