Regular Contributor

Re: My Thoughts on the 9/11 Anniversary

my sons are both fire captains. That day they were new firefighters, just beginning their careers. So proud of them then; so proud of them now. Heartbroken still for the 343 firemen who died that day

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Let's try and keep this thread free of controversy, so that it can stay open, on this important anniversary.

@Anonymous032819.  Nah, certain ones are allowed.

Yeah....don’t understand how a tweet today & a comment months ago relates to 18yrs ago....🤷‍♀️

Then just what exactly are we "remembering?"  Random pain?    

Honored Contributor

@chiclets 

At the time of the 1993 Bombing my Dh was a Building at WTC, it took a while to get in touch with him, he never speaks of that day, this was 6 weeks before our wedding

Three week before that I spent the evening with him babysitting a project and we were all over the basement areas, I am sure that some of those areas did not exist after the 93 bombing

@chiclets wrote:

I saw the towers as they were being built. Each day it seemed as though they were rising into the heavens.

I saw each tower as it was hurting, and as each came falling down from the heavens.

I stood by the first time in 1993 when they were bombed and the people were being guided out.

I saw the firemen and police and dogs go to the towers to help.

I saw, and watched each time, and the last time on 9/11 I knew that was the end.

Mine was on the 98th floor South tower.

Have not gone back to that area since, and never will.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

@chiclets 

At the time of the 1993 Bombing my Dh was a Building at WTC, it took a while to get in touch with him, he never speaks of that day, this was 6 weeks before our wedding

Three week before that I spent the evening with him babysitting a project and we were all over the basement areas, I am sure that some of those areas did not exist after the 93 bombing

@chiclets wrote:

I saw the towers as they were being built. Each day it seemed as though they were rising into the heavens.

I saw each tower as it was hurting, and as each came falling down from the heavens.

I stood by the first time in 1993 when they were bombed and the people were being guided out.

I saw the firemen and police and dogs go to the towers to help.

I saw, and watched each time, and the last time on 9/11 I knew that was the end.

Mine was on the 98th floor South tower.

Have not gone back to that area since, and never will.

Absolutely understand your last point!  While I had to go to work the next day - and could smell the burning jet fuel (yes it was still burning) in the Pentagon, I could never bring myself to go to see the outside of building where the wedge was hit.

I had worked in that wedge and had been moved out during the renovation and different offices were moved back in.  It was just way too painful.

Super Contributor

I was downstairs watching the news when they announced that a plane had crashed into the tower. My husband, a retired military pilot of 30 years, was upstairs, and I yelled to tell him about the "accident". He came down and promptly announced that it was no accident! 

Regular Contributor

It was a beautiful September morning on 9/11- I lived in CT and my children were 3 and 4 years old at the time. I had dropped my daughter off at school and was just tidying up the house when my sister called franticalyy--asking "where is John working today?" I said "he is in the office Boston today-why?" she repeated many times "are you sure?" "He is in Boston- you are sure?" I kept saying "yes he is --why?"  She told me to turn on the news,

I could not believe what I was seeing, Just as the newscasters were discussiing that " this must be a horrible accident" the second plane came in to view on the screen.  I couldnt talk- I couldnt think--I literally couldnt move-- I was frozen staring at the screen.

I then asked my sister where her husband was-- and he was home. He had been in the restaurant at the top of the World Trade Center- 2 days before 9/11. He is in the restaurant business and called my sister and told her the view was absolutely breath taking from the top of the Tower,

We were both young mothers-on the phone with each other- in shock and disbelief.

My sister and I had taken a road trip to the city a year prior and we parked unknowingly pretty close to the Towers. I remember- actually touching one of the towers and trying to look up to see if you could see the top- and marvelled at its architecture--- how could they be gone?

My family and I were spared loss of life on that tragic day, It could have been my family easily. We were always in NYC. Just a magical, vibrant, exciting place to be. I chose not to watch the shows this year on TV. I chose to pray for the families left behind and those who perished that day.

I pray that this national tragedy is never forgotten or "brushed aside"

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and continued thoughts and prayers for those who suffered loss on 9/11. 

Really- still  unfathomable.