Honored Contributor

Re: My Thoughts on the 9/11 Anniversary

My thoughts are that it was an incredibly traumatic day for me, and I didn't live in NYC or DC or Shanksville. I didn't lose anyone either but I sure felt the losses that words can't even begin to convey. My memories are of shock and sadness. Never forget. In just two years it will be 20 years, unbelievable.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

My son was living  close enough to the pentagon to see the devastation. I was scared to death for him.I still can't make sense of any of it. What did anyone accomplish, besides murdering innocent people? The more things change, the more they stay the same

Honored Contributor

I rememebr the events like it was yesterday

Warning long post ahead I worked in lower Manhattan on 9/11/01. I was on the express bus in the battery tunnel on the first plane went in. I was standing on the corner of Canal Street and exchange Place with the second plane hit. I covered my head and run to my office and lower Broadway to me as quick as I could. We were lucky to have electricity there were only three of us in and we tried to patch together what had gone on. One of my bosses was in North Carolina her mother had passed away the previous weekend and her husband was in the office. It was unbelievable how calm he remain through the whole day. We stayed in the office till about 1 o’clock and we made our way up to the Brooklyn Bridge we expected to walk over and go to my bosses sons house. We found buses running across the bridge and were able to connect to a bus that took us close to my home. I spent the rest of the day trying to piece together what had happened and to talk to Barry who is confined to his office. I was lucky to find a friend who could spend the night with me. I was calm until I got home and then I cried for six days

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was off of work that week (staycation). Had the Today show on TV, and like Nicksmom, heard Katie say that a plane hit one of the towers and that it appeared to be an accident. A few minutes later, the world as we all knew it changed forever. I sat glued to the TV and watched as the second plane hit, the towers fell, and saw the devastation at the Pentagon. Especially chilling were the reports of the brave souls on Flight 93 and their heroic acts to save others. I lived near a Naval Air Base and almost immediately could hear the sounds of the fighter jets flying overheard. I am in tears writing this. I will never forget. 

Honored Contributor

Truly a day I will never forget.  When I saw the second plane crash into the tower I knew it was no accident.  It was shocking to say the least.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank-you everyone for sharing your stories.

By sharing, we will never forget.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

It was a very sad time, but in spite of it being horrifying, I was thrilled to see Americans finally being one people.  It didn't matter your race, religion, financial status, etc. we were one people.  Too bad that part didn't last longer.

^^^^^^^ Yes...this.^^^^^^^^

Never Forget. 🙏🇺🇸

Honored Contributor

Our company had a TV in our lunchroom so we saw bits of what was happening. Most people kept working because our company gave very limited access to the internet at that time so we were somewhat shielded from what was going on.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll never forget seeing all of the Senators on the steps singing "God Bless America".

R's & D's standing side-by-side, together, singing as one.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

It was a very sad time, but in spite of it being horrifying, I was thrilled to see Americans finally being one people.  It didn't matter your race, religion, financial status, etc. we were one people.  Too bad that part didn't last longer.

^^^^^^^ Yes...this.^^^^^^^^

Never Forget. 🙏🇺🇸

I just got out of a meeting at work and people were yelling about a plane crashed into the World Trade Center.  We had a tv in the cafeteria so we all went down to watch.  As we were watching the second plane hit.  We were all so emotional and trying to console eachother.  The insurance company I worked for let us go home.  I was glued to the tv and still couldn't believe what had happened.  I agree that all of us Americans came together as one.  I also wish it could of stayed that way.