Regular Contributor

Re: My Own Phone Number Called Me!!

This happened to me twice. Had the phone company investigate, but they could not tell who is "ghosting" my number. Hasn't happened since but was told they spin a lottery of phone numbers and auto-dial. I never answered it to confirm anything. It is very creepy!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

All your stories are so interesting!  I did not realize this was so wide spread. Wish people would put their “talents” to a better use than spoofing our own phone numbers. 

i did file a complaint with the FCC online. They have a section for this specific complaint. Their website is secure - well actually is anything secure anymore?  But I did file the complaint anyway. 

And guess who who just called me again??  I sure wish I would leave myself alone. 

I agree this is creepy and that something should be done about it.

Honored Contributor

Lion, don't answer.  👻

Respected Contributor

Wow, haven't had that happen.

Today I got a recorded call from Google in Wash DC telling me of some new code I need.  I don't know that I need a code to google?  Anyone else had that one yet?

So creepy.  I just hung up.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's happened to me too. Strange to look at the Caller ID screen and see your own number. You'd think there'd be some way to control morphing of phone numbers.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Two weeks ago I received a recording that someone was using my SS number and if I did not call the number they gave me to call back there was going to be a warrant out for my arrest. I am still waiting for my warrant.

I can't say my own phone has ever called me. I still have an old antique land line as well as a cell. It is with a package for a TV and internet. Thank goodness for Caller ID and answering machines. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have 2 landlines in my house. In other words 2 different phone numbers because although my younger son only spends a couple of nights a week here I keep the landline he had in his bedroom growing up (I have my reasons). Anyway, on occasion the phone number in his bedroom shows up as the caller on my main landline...even though he's not here and wouldn't call me if he was.....he'd just yell down the hallway to me!

Esteemed Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I never answer my phone but did this morning because I was right by it and was expecting a delivery. 
 I have to read captions so it takes me awhile. he/She said "hi grandma this is your grandson. " (I'm aware of this scam). I asked "who? And he repeated his full name. 
 Said he' d been in an accident and had stitches and needed my help, he was arrested. 
  I told him "good stay in jail". He started saying "No, no, don't hang up. " I did.

Immediately texted grandson and he is fine. He called my son in case he had the same call. 🙄😞

-----------------

I have a good friend who is quite elderly.  She is in love with her two grandsons...young adults.  She received that same phone call, panicked and did agree to send money.  But, the good thing is that she mentioned it to one of her sons, boys' uncle, and he was able to get with the bank to stop the transfer!!  I felt so bad for her and she felt like such a dope....

Honored Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness 

Been getting them for over a year. When I got home yrsterday I had 5 blocked calls with our number. In 2 words technology negative.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I guess what bothers me the most, now that I have had time to think about it, that they are probably using MY phone number to call other people with this rubbish.  I think there was a post that mentioned this, and that is what gets me angry.

@hckynut- you are being way too nice and polite calling it negative technology, I have a few other words for it that wouldn't be appropriate here!!!