Trusted Contributor

Re: My Observations While Grocery Shopping Today

@itsmagic  ......  I ordered Campbell's Tomato Soup from target.com. If you are interested you might try there.

Regular Contributor

I went to Costco this morning. Only about 1/3 people were wearing masks, although all the employees were.

They were out of stew beef, fresh chicken, round roast, bacon, and, of all things, frozen peas!

Some customers were distancing, a lot were just browsing. 
I was mostly focused on getting in and out quickly. 
I do keep wondering why I haven't been finding frozen peas at 2 stores so far.

TP and paper towels in stock. Didn't check on sanitizing wipes.

Valued Contributor

Unless your governor issues an order that everyone has to wear a mask, it is voluntary. I find it unsavory to see drive-up restaurant workers not masked but again, no one not even the health dept is telling them they must wear them (varies by State). 

I personally wear one and keep my distance from those who don't while grocery shopping but also think that maybe not everyone has internet service these days if unemployed to order one online.  Certainly would not jump to an incorrect conclusion that they were just being selfish when I don't know them or their financial situation.  Too bad there is no agency that hands them out to people who would like to wear one. 

Esteemed Contributor

We haven't shopped for over 2 weeks. I dread going but we have to go soon for the perishables especially.

Here (last time) there were no paper products at all. no cleaning products at all. And some other things missing here and there (like pasta!),

Still don't understand why people are taking everything for themselves. For instance; we had toilet paper PRE virus and still have 5 rolls I always bought ahead. Still have cleaning supplies too but wont if they keep raiding them.

Going to the store now is a nightmare. I wash every package down after shopping. We had ordered some foods online for meals so we didn't have to go for weeks..

We can get peapod service here but I heard from others they only end up with half their order because of hoarders so we prefer to go ourselves so we can get any substitutes (if they have them) for things we want.

Anyway I dread going, between worrying who has the virus, washing all the items, and due to the hoarders. And we have LIMITS on amounts you can take here and people STILL hoard!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@sann Whether they're young or old and they're out shopping among others not wearing a mask, maybe they can buy a shirt that says "I care more about me than about you."

Seems to me that's their message.

They are either uninformed or too stupid to realize what they are doing. Much like the mayor of Las Vegas on CNN this morning.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I was at our Food Lion at 7 a.m. and there were only 3 other shoppers, all with masks.  All the store workers had masks.  No clerks to check out, everything was through the self scanners.

I really like that, no one touches my goods, just me.

No toilet paper or any paper products.  I have a 48 pack from Costco from first of March as safety stock; I was just checking.

Inventory looked low but I got everything I wanted; there were some limits on eggs but otherwise the shelves were fuller than my last week's trip.  I try to buy just what I need.

I would love the availability of self checkout for large orders, but most of our stores including Walmart and Meijer took out all their 'big' self checkouts with a belt large enough to hold a full cart of groceries, and replaced them with the tiny ones, and have a limit of 12 to 20 items, different limits in different stores. I don't want a cashier handling my stuff right now either, but I can't go to the store every other day just to use the tiny self checkouts, I need to buy enough for two households for three weeks at a time.

Honored Contributor

I will say that some of you that think stores aren't limiting the number of people inside might not know that in some locations, they have reduced the number of available carts to the 'magic' number of people allowed in the space. They have someone cleaning carts at the entrance or watching them, and when the carts are all in use, they are full and will start lines of waiting outside. Then it is one in, one out.

This is how it is being done here, and they are requiring every person who goes in the door to take a cart whether you want it or not, as that is their way of counting how many are inside. 

Esteemed Contributor

Every time I've gone out the majority of people were not wearing masks.  Very few wear them around here.  I've seen the tape on the floor near the registers.  It's never crowded when I go, but it may be due to the time because I tend to shop in the evenings within an hour before closing.

Respected Contributor

This is kind of a sidebar but thought of it after reading post about cleaning of carts. I was at my local WM other day and as I was leaving a couple workers were furiously spraying down carts with that disinfectant spray as the carts were coming back inside. The wind was blowing pretty good and upon walking by them the spray blew in my face.. Does anyone know what exactly is in this spray? Is it basically Lysol? I know it's important but just didn't really want to eat it!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

In North Jersey, directional arrows in the aisles, only two people permitted to shop, guards counting entry, a "stop entry, wait area" sign, barriers between the cashier and shopper, 6 foot markings on the floor, PA announcements 2 shopping carts away from each other, one of certain products, wipes for shopping carts and mandatory masks, shoppers, staff & cleaners ... complete  disinfection at night and hourly, cleaning crews wipe shelves, product, stations.  Senior and compromised people 7-9.  You can't do more than that.  So far no reports of illness there.  I think 32 of another chain had mandatory temporary closings for Covid-19 for disinfection.