Honored Contributor

Re: My Observations While Grocery Shopping Today

@pigletsmom wrote:

All of the stores here started the arrow thing but for the most part our stores have slowed down so they don't mean much. If I'm at the wrong end of the aisle and I need something a little way in I"m going to get it. I will go back out the correct way. I think getting out of the store quickly is probably a better option over making people walk up and down every aisle to get stuff. 

@pigletsmom   That describes me to a t.  

I've always been a fast shopper, used a list, got in and out quickly.  

I went to Trader Joe's last week, and didn't even notice the arrows in the lanes, until I was almost finished with my shopping.  If I'd been following them, I probably  would have needed more time to shop to pick up the fresh foods I needed 

Respected Contributor

I went to Kroger today.  They are not limiting the number of people that go into the store at a time, nor were there arrows going in a specific direction.  Most people had both masks and gloves, employees too.  There is a large piece of protective glass between you and the cashier.  I went a little later to Kroger than I wanted to but was pleasantly surprised at how well stocked they were.  They actually had a lot of toilet paper and paper towels to be had!  Meat was also in very good supply, but limited to 3 packages.  

Trusted Contributor

@september wrote:

@pigletsmom wrote:

All of the stores here started the arrow thing but for the most part our stores have slowed down so they don't mean much. If I'm at the wrong end of the aisle and I need something a little way in I"m going to get it. I will go back out the correct way. I think getting out of the store quickly is probably a better option over making people walk up and down every aisle to get stuff. 

@pigletsmom   That describes me to a t.  

I've always been a fast shopper, used a list, got in and out quickly.  

I went to Trader Joe's last week, and didn't even notice the arrows in the lanes, until I was almost finished with my shopping.  If I'd been following them, I probably  would have needed more time to shop to pick up the fresh foods I needed 

@september  I didn't notice them the first time until too late myself. Maybe the store is happy it can finally get me to walk around and buy stuff on impulse. I usually buy under 10 items, I know where they are, and I get out.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

Yesterday was my 3rd senior hour shopping trip to BJ's since they implemented it about 6 weeks ago. Things have shifted from some shoppers wearing face masks initially to almost everyone wearing them yesterday. Yesterday was also the first time I saw them deny entry to a young woman who was there with a senior citizen. Some of the narrower aisles were clearly marked with direction arrows in bright yellow masking tape. Spacing was clearly marked at the deli and at check-out. While they had most items (except tp and other paper products), selection was limited. I went yesterday because my Aunt needed more Ensure, but I'm going to stick to going on Tuesday in the future, as they seem to get deliveries on Monday nights. So far, I've been able to get everything we need, so I'm happy and very grateful for the senior hour.

@Eileen in Virginia, I hope that they checked to make sure that the senior didn't have to have a helper.

@suzyQ3  I wondered about that too, but neither the young woman nor the senior protested or asked for an exception, so I assumed she didn't need a helper.

Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom    Glad to know I'm not the only one to see the arrows as a way that I might go down more aisles than needed, and buy more unneeded items!

Super Contributor

Here in NY, it is now mandatory that everyone wear a mask when in public.  

Frequent Contributor

I live in rural Ohio.  Most people don't wear a mask.  I only wear one so I don't touch my face.  Lots of hand washing, sanitizer.  Everyone hopes things open up soon.  We all know what to do now and I feel we have to get our lives back.  

Super Contributor

In PA you have to wear a mask now in any store.  I don't know how strict they are being, but do know at the Giant grocery stores here they have someone at the door enforcing it.  

Respected Contributor

Every time I go to a grocery store (I have a choice of three different grocery stores) I look for Campbell’s tomato soup and none if the three stores have had it in several weeks. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 : thanks for sharing your experience.

I also went to the supermarket today. DS went last time, so this was my first trip in a couple of weeks. 

I went by @ 8:00 a.m. There was a line waiting to get in. It was cold out, so I went home. Returned after the thunderstorm mid afternoon. Still a line. After standing in line for several minutes word circulated that we have to get a cart before entering. Last time the sanitized carts were inside.Ugh. I walk back out to the parking lot to get a cart. Suddenly there is no longer a line. The security guard has allowed everyone in the only door marked as Entrance. Then, it's walk down to enter the store at the exit door (?). My list was short and set up as the store aisles are. Stock is similar to what it was a couple of weeks ago- hit or miss. I was fixed on my list and did not always take notice of the new system of arrows on the floor of each aisle. I just wanted to get out of there ASAP. My list was short- not more than a dozen items, most of which I was able to get. My list did not include paper products or sanitizing items.

The store was not crowded and their was no wait to check out. One person checked out my order while another bagged my items. When leaving I walked past another security guard.

I hope not to return anytime soon. Eventually DS will have to go back- he can take my list at that time as he did previously. I texted him to ask if he wanted anything while I was there but he declined.

Dreading tomorrow. I am very low on my meds, so I will have to go to Costco pharmacy. My 3 month supply of meds is about out. I know I can go right in for the pharmacy, no waiting in line. I will probably do that and if there is anything else I want to buy I will go out, get a cart and re-enter.