Honored Contributor

Re: My Norton Firewall Just said that The QVC site is not safe

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I just received this notice  That the QVC site was not safe...  also another one saying that their license was expired.....  so what is going on???

@SeaMaiden

I don't have Norton but I keep getting that pop-up notice, also, saying it's not safe to go to certain parts of QVC.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Maybe one of the Mods could check and let us know.

It does make me uneasy.

@hennypenny  Then someone should post this in the Customer Care forum and call out the Mods.

Honored Contributor

Right now as I'm posting, the padlock is on and the website is https, meaning it's secure. 

The only thing I get very sporadically when I log onto QVC is something about the Security Certificate being expired.

Honored Contributor

I'm using Chrome right now and I clicked on the 'i' at the front of the address bar on the page.  It has this whole thing saying 'your connection to this site is not fully secute'.  It goes on to say that you should not put any sensitive information here 'because it could be stolen by hackers'.

(what I italicized, obviously, is directly quoted from the notice)

Now, I have to say that I've never seen that before and nothing has changed on my end.  Plus I use AdBlock Plus as well.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm using Chrome right now and I clicked on the 'i' at the front of the address bar on the page.  It has this whole thing saying 'your connection to this site is not fully secute'.  It goes on to say that you should not put any sensitive information here 'because it could be stolen by hackers'.

Now, I have to say that I've never seen that before and nothing has changed on my end.  Plus I use AdBlock Plus as well.

This is something Chrome instigated months ago. I will periodically get a “not secure” notice and Chrome will not go to the site, whatever it is. It doesn’t just happen with QVC. When it first went into effect it was in the news/

When this happens I have to use a different browser, and my other browsers give me no such notice and DO go to the website.

In my instance I have figured out why.

We have satellite internet. There is a loooong lag while the signals beam back and forth after you click on something; IOW, things “hang” waiting for the ping-back.

Chrome browser seems to be more sensitive to this latency than either Safari or Firefox. They will (eventually) go through, while with Chrome I will get “You are not connected to the internet” or “you have no wifi” when I do indeed, it’s just slow to beam back and forth - a frequent issue with satellite internet.

As far as those who use Chrome, it’s been said that these sites which give the messages are not necessarily insecure, FWIW, and that a certain amount of it is Chrome erring on the side of caution or being buggy.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all that info, Moonchilde!  Smiley Happy

Oddly, as well as seeing this verbage for the first time today, in the last couple of days on another board I frequent where a lot of people post tweets they haven't been coming up for me.  I don't know if Chrome is doing something weird or it's just a glitch.

Valued Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt - I have the same message on my computer. I also use Google Chrome, and have AdBlock.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What I have noticed about the QVC site is that some parts are not “secure”.  When you go to an area that you have to log into, those are secure (with the little lock in the address bar).  Just browsing the site, it appears not to be.

For instance, when I first go to the main QVC page, my address bar reads “www.qvc.com”.  Or looking at products.  But when I log into either my account or here on the forums, it reads “https://www.qvc.com...”.  Whereas, if you go to HSN, their address reads “https://www.hsn.com”.  Again, it shows a lock in the address bar.

The level of security varies from site to site, from what I’ve noticed.  Some are “https” all the way through.  Others have that designation only in certain areas, like logging in.