Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbors Strange Behavior

Oh, well.  At least he is keeping his house nice and neat for curb appeal.  Better than a sloppy, unkept front yard.  As long as he is happy in his life. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Just something for all who are quick to diagnose mental illness, OCD or other malady - 

This man sounds very much like a man I shared my life with for about a year.  He was a retired marine.  He put in his 20 years and got out and he did not seek further employment, instead he set his lifestyle to be able to live on his retirement benefit.  He was home all day while I was at work.

He maintained my home as though it was a marine barracks.  it was spotless from top to bottom, inside and out.  He would have it no other way as that was the only way he knew.  I could not live that rigid lifestyle, thus we parted ways.  After he was gone, a couple of my neighbors mentioned they would watch him vacuum the garage and driveway pick leaves out of the decorative rock bed around the flag pole.

Umm..that sounds like OCD to me, or perhaps PTSD? No offense intended, My husband was a Navy Vietnam Vet..so I do understand some of this behaviour.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

@halfpint wrote:

Just wondering have you ever talked to neighbors about him and if they know him and how long he has been there?

I did talk to someone a while back who lives closer to him and she said he's a nice guy.   We didn't talk about his obsession, but then again, not too many people are walking around at that hour in the morning who see him.   Again, I don't check his place out all through the day.   Who knows.  

I doubt he's out there because I'm walking by as one person noted.  He barely pays attention to me.   I think someone with that obsessive compulsive way probably doesn't interact with women much, but who knows.  I never see him with visitors nor talking to too many people when some are also outside.

Honored Contributor

Your neighbor definitely has his problems, but he sounds like a better neighbor than some of mine: One has several motorcycles in his driveway, which he often revs up simultaneously. Another has teenagers who have loud garage parties with vibrating music and flashing lights. Another has a nocturnal, loud-barking dog. I could go on... I sometimes think l should live in a secluded villa somewhere, lol.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

I'm going with OCD on this. The house, the clothes and particularly, the tree/flower trimming.

Just keep an eye on him from a safe distance.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

My neighbors a few houses down, let relatives live in an RV in the yard. I've never seen so much rotting garbage in my life. They also pull their car into the street, put it on jacks stands and work on it...while cars drive around them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know why but I was always interested in learning about people that clean obsessively or have ocd like behavior and rituals and what was being done to treat them. I am not diagnosing this man or anything. He probably would get angry at me for staring lol.I saw a show where a woman cleaned the public restroom thoroughly before she used it! She wiped the seats down on the bus too.

Respected Contributor

Call code enforcement if people are living in the yard.. Usually not allowed.

Honored Contributor

Someone who vacuums his driveway does have a problem.  I'm sure he wouldn't use the same vacuum in his house that he uses outside.  I would be very surprised if he did.

I have to admit, I have some cleaning rituals that probably lean towards ocd-ism.  As long as you abide by my rules, I'm cool.  LOL.

But there's nothing worse than a bad neighbor, be it noise, junk, weeds, etc.

Consider yourself lucky!

Honored Contributor

Is he European?

The reason this comes to mind for me is that when I lived in Europe, and even since when I've known Europeans living in the US, I always notice that they kept their yards, driveways, and even the sidewalk meticulously clean.

I would see them out there every day sweeping up every bit of debris or dust, leaves, ANYTHING, off the concrete areas and yards.