Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbors Strange Behavior

She's brave these days I wouldn't walk any place. All the kooks. I got me a treadmill yrs. ago . When a guy stopped me and acted like he wanted directions I ran to the other side of the road and started walking back down the way I came throwing off his plans.

My knees are shot now and just got me a recumbent bike , lock my doors.

Me and a friend got flashed yrs. ago and that was when I was young. Not safe out there for women or men for that matter.

Trusted Contributor

Re: My Neighbors Strange Behaviors

Sounds like the poor guy has a severe mental illness. Hope he is getting some help. He'd probably go nuts if someone tried to stop him doing what he feels he has to do.
Respected Contributor

Just something for all who are quick to diagnose mental illness, OCD or other malady - 

This man sounds very much like a man I shared my life with for about a year.  He was a retired marine.  He put in his 20 years and got out and he did not seek further employment, instead he set his lifestyle to be able to live on his retirement benefit.  He was home all day while I was at work.

He maintained my home as though it was a marine barracks.  it was spotless from top to bottom, inside and out.  He would have it no other way as that was the only way he knew.  I could not live that rigid lifestyle, thus we parted ways.  After he was gone, a couple of my neighbors mentioned they would watch him vacuum the garage and driveway pick leaves out of the decorative rock bed around the flag pole.

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

She's brave these days I wouldn't walk any place. All the kooks. I got me a treadmill yrs. ago . When a guy stopped me and acted like he wanted directions I ran to the other side of the road and started walking back down the way I came throwing off his plans.

Me and a friend got flashed yrs. ago and that was when I was young. Not safe out there for women or men for that matter.

I have encountered some odd ones.   I used to walk in a nearby park, but I gave that up years ago.  I mainly walk in the neighborhood and surrounding area.   I had a guy in the park follow me.   He kept asking me out for a drink and I said no.   He tried to follow me home one day.

I'm real careful and only walk in the daylight hours.   I have more issues with people pulling out of their driveways or carports without looking and almost hitting me.   People don't pay any attention anymore.   

Honored Contributor

I would have to agree with the possibility of this man having severe OCD. I too have OCD tendencies, and insist on things being neat and orderly. I have stated in prior posts that I can walk thru my house in the dark, and go directly to a certain item. I know exactly where to find files I have stored in the basement. While I don't obsess about my driveway, or outside things, my towels have to hang a certain way, my toilet paper has to roll over, and the contents of my pantry must be grouped together with all labels facing forward. I am not OCD with everything in my life; I function very well and get my business done, but work my mind harder than my body. I have the ability to recall numbers easily; the social security numbers of my husband and daughters, all of our drivers license numbers, as well as license plate numbers---even an old credit card account from 30 years ago. 14 years ago I took a road trip with friends and the road alert system had a BOLO for a stolen car----I still remember that license plate number! I try to focus my OCD tendencies into helping me, but could just as easily be miserable from these same tendencies. My guess would be that your neighbor is totally controlled by his obsessive nature, particularly since he will not set his garbage out near the driveway he works so hard to keep clean. I don't think he can bring himself to do that, which is why he disposes of it elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

I have encountered some odd ones.   I used to walk in a nearby park, but I gave that up years ago.  I mainly walk in the neighborhood and surrounding area.   I had a guy in the park follow me.   He kept asking me out for a drink and I said no.   He tried to follow me home one day.

I'm real careful and only walk in the daylight hours.   I have more issues with people pulling out of their driveways or carports without looking and almost hitting me.   People don't pay any attention anymore.   

Don't want to scare you, but, when I was young like 16 me and a friend was walking down a country road. This man rolled up in a car ,  asked our ages, my friend was short I'm taller, so, he thought I was older. I was a kid at the time told him how old I was guess it satisfied him because he pulled out his 'surprise' I didn't know what to do never been with anybody and I laughed at him and his surprise. Made him mad he drove off , spun rock getting away from me, now, yrs. later and I'm lot older I know I did the right thing it took his power away completely shocked him that I LOL at him and his equipment. told my friend who was behind me she never saw any of it and we got back to the house. Now, I shudder what would had happened to me I'd been pulled into the car and raped and shot probably. I lived in a hick town no big city either. These people are out there, everywhere, sick and drugged up, etc.

Be careful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

My one neighbor is competitive about grass cutting.  She's been like this since I bought my house almost 15 years ago.  She could cut her grass on Friday.  If I cut mine on Sunday, she either cuts her own on Sunday or first thing Monday.  She'll do it even if it rains and her grass is wet.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

People who take meticulous care of the house and walkways?  I think they are fairly common in my neighborhood.

I have a little different take on this than the other posters.  You walk at 5:15 or so; he's up then doing his thing with the vaccuum and the flowering tree.  He's still there when you return from the walk.  It's a daily routine for you both.

In his shy way, he likes you. Or...he likes it that you schedule a regular walk and he sort of approves of you.  Your walking by, if he's one of those people with a strict routine, is part of his routine, and he likes it or he would get up at some different time for cleaning.

OCD is not at all rare, but he may just be a neat freak?  Who enjoys your walk-bys twice a day.

On clean freaks: At a famous garden in Japan, I once saw one of the gardeners washing a little brook.  He was in boots, with a broom, straightening out the pebbles in the brook.  The Japanese like flawless form so much--it's widespread in the ancient roots of the culture.

Esteemed Contributor

Just wondering have you ever talked to neighbors about him and if they know him and how long he has been there?

Frequent Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

My one neighbor is competitive about grass cutting.  She's been like this since I bought my house almost 15 years ago.  She could cut her grass on Friday.  If I cut mine on Sunday, she either cuts her own on Sunday or first thing Monday.  She'll do it even if it rains and her grass is wet.

We must have the same neighbor.