Trusted Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Thinks I'm Strange

@occasionalrain wrote:

There are three feral cats I feed. Sometimes I read out on my patio, when I do, these cats show up and lounge about. So, when they do, I read aloud to them and they seem to enjoy it.

Well, this morning I was out there reading to them and my neighbor appeared, gave me this odd look then hurried away.

What I want to know is, do you find my behavior strange?

The other thing I want to know is, do you read to cats or dogs?

By tonight my patio behavior will be known throughout the neighborhood. I wonder how my other neighbors will react. Any gesses?

You're fine.

I sing to my kitty. Seriously. I do. Smiley Happy

She gets all happy and excited when I do it.

I'm petting her while I'm doing it, so I'm sure that makes a difference, too. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Kitties love any kind of attention that we give them. I say, "Go for it." You're a good soul to love them and care for them. Heart

I wouldn't care what anybody thought of me. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Realistically speaking, not everyone can afford to have numerous cats spayed.

And not every community will come and take them even if you can catch them.

@Noel7

Our vet charged us only for his time for many he fixed. Our Humane Society gives special rates for those that bring in a certain number or feral cats. 

I bought our own humane trap because so many cats are dropped off on the highway close to our home. Guess I am thinking if someone is feeding feral cats, they are probably  buying them food.

I don't know anyone on these forums financial status but my own. While we have been helped by our vet and Humane Society, we bought the food. If someone is feeding feral cats food, I suspect someone is buying it.

As far as who does what in which communities? Even people that live in them do not know the "who does what for whom". Animal lovers usually do everything they can to find out. 

This I can tell you for sure. If I could not afford, or have some method of humanely trapping, or have others do so? I would not be feeding them. Cats will go where the find a food source, so my suggestion to your points above are this.

If one cannot afford to trap and get these feral cats fixed, or their Community will do nothing to help? Quit feeding them. Maybe, just maybe, their next food source might be someone like myself and my wife, that will find some way to help these animals, along with the humans that live by their source of food, and are not fond of cats roaming their property.

=^..^=.    =^..^=

hckynut(john)

I wholeheartedly agree with @hckynut on this issue!!!!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain  First, let me say that if you want to read to the cats, go for it.

However, feral cats are not pets.  Feeding them may seem the humane thing to do but unless you are willing to get them to a vet and spayed/neutered and provide a home outdoors for them- then I disagree with encouraging them.

Feral cats will leave their messes in OTHER neighbors yards since they are less apt to defecate where they are fed.

It is terribly sad to see feral cats; they produce more kittens who eventually become the newest group of roaming cats.

And yes, you certainly do need to be concerned about being scratched or bitten.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut I just saw your post and agree wtih you 100%.  I  just posted basically the same thing after you posted.

Honored Contributor

Also nobody is saying that everyone has to "fix" feral cats.

They should be humanely trapped and taken to shelters.  If one can afford to have the cats fixed and provided a home-great.

But feeding them leaves them out there breeding even more ferals and in the end the ferals end up unhealthy, hurt, etc. - not a pretty picture.  Feeding them is the least of the problems these poor cats will face.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain If your neighbor thinks you're strange, that could potentially be a compliment (depending on the "strangeness" of your neighbor.)

LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ABCDEF68 wrote:

Please get them neutered or take them to a shelter.  Those cats if female can have

6 cats a litter.  In our town if you feed a cat you are then responsibile for that cat.  They can carry diseaes. 

Yes, there were people telling others to get them neutered.

I always wonder why some people come in after a thread has been going for some time, have no idea what has gone before, yet think they do.

Honored Contributor

@Anniecamp wrote:

I don't see any problem with reading to them.  It gets them used to humans, and socializes them some.

@Anniecamp

I have had way more experiences with feral cats and kittens than even in my wildest dreams I thought I would ever want to know. One thing I do know from my experiences with feral cats and/or kittens is these things.

Talking and feeding to feral cats does not socialize them with humans. If the cat looks older than 1 year old? They are not going to be socializes with a human. They are past that point of socialization.

Little kittens? That depends on their mama cat, in my experience. If the mama runs like he** when a human puts out food? The kittens are right behind them. Now if mama comes back, they will follow her to the food.

If there are only a couple little kittens? Chances are better that they will respond differently than with the mama with them. I have had some kittens that were curious enough to come close to me, no mama. 

That is how I was able to get many of the 40+ kittens we adopted out, to our vet to help us with adoptions. They would get close to our food bowl right by our patio room door. At times I could grab 2 of them at the same time. 

We socialized quite a few, but even though the mother had a 6 litter birth, she was much less than a year old. She trusted us only because it was over many months of working to gain that trust. Thus the kittens followed their mother and I was able to grab them.

Too many separate stories to tell, but socialization for a feral cat over a year old? Not in my many experiences. We have fed several for years, after we trapped and had them fixed, and put them back outdoors. They would never let us touch them over those years

Do or think what you will about my comments, but everything is based on real stories with real feral cats and kittens.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I have friends who live "rural"..............they spend more money on food for assorted deer, squirrels, rabbits, birds, and other "wild things" than they do on themselves............they just love nature.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Well one may be...strange...yet quite happy with their life if they so choose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**