Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Thinks I'm Strange

My daughter learned to read by reading aloud to her kitty.  She was home with a bad virus and her kitty stayed by her side, so I told her kitties love hearing stories. 

It was a match made in heaven.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you are awesome !! While I don't read aloud to my inside or outside critters, I do feed the squirrels and birds outside and I definitely talk to them while doing so. My neighbors think I'm just a nice lady that loves animals. (I have been known to name the squirrels, too).

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Realistically speaking, not everyone can afford to have numerous cats spayed.

And not every community will come and take them even if you can catch them.

@Noel7

Our vet charged us only for his time for many he fixed. Our Humane Society gives special rates for those that bring in a certain number or feral cats. 

I bought our own humane trap because so many cats are dropped off on the highway close to our home. Guess I am thinking if someone is feeding feral cats, they are probably  buying them food.

I don't know anyone on these forums financial status but my own. While we have been helped by our vet and Humane Society, we bought the food. If someone is feeding feral cats food, I suspect someone is buying it.

As far as who does what in which communities? Even people that live in them do not know the "who does what for whom". Animal lovers usually do everything they can to find out. 

This I can tell you for sure. If I could not afford, or have some method of humanely trapping, or have others do so? I would not be feeding them. Cats will go where the find a food source, so my suggestion to your points above are this.

If one cannot afford to trap and get these feral cats fixed, or their Community will do nothing to help? Quit feeding them. Maybe, just maybe, their next food source might be someone like myself and my wife, that will find some way to help these animals, along with the humans that live by their source of food, and are not fond of cats roaming their property.

=^..^=.    =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut

Well, I know, John.  I've had experience taking care of cats that were not mine, including feral cats.

You're lucky your vet does it free or low cost, that is not common.

Esteemed Contributor

lol! I think it is sweet you do that. I have noticed when I read to my grandson my dog always jumps on the couch and cuddles right next to us. I don't know if he likes being read to, or just enjoys cuddling up with us. I know he knows what it means because when I tell my grandson to go get his books my dog starts wagging his tail and barks because he is excited. He does the same thing when I ask him if he wants to go for a ride in the car. 

I think it is strange that your neighbor thinks it is strange. It sounds he needs a pet, it would give me something to do besides worry about his neighbors. I also agree with the poster who said most people probably realize this guy gossips about everyone. When I was younger I lived next door to a busy body who liked to gossip about everyone. I enjoyed doing things to give her juicy gossip to gossip about.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

I don't read to my pets, but I do tell them silly stories.  Sometimes my pets find them boring, but a friend's poodle always jumped right in the story chair when she visited, and waited eagerly for the story.

My first dog class, the teacher said to talk to your dog on your walk, to keep their focus on you.  I still do this many dogs later and occasionally get the look from passers-by. 

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

There are three feral cats I feed. Sometimes I read out on my patio, when I do, these cats show up and lounge about. So, when they do, I read aloud to them and they seem to enjoy it.

Well, this morning I was out there reading to them and my neighbor appeared, gave me this odd look then hurried away.

What I want to know is, do you find my behavior strange?

The other thing I want to know is, do you read to cats or dogs?

By tonight my patio behavior will be known throughout the neighborhood. I wonder how my other neighbors will react. Any gesses?

Feeding the feral cats is problem enough.  They multiply and are soon taking over whole neighborhoods.  Do you neighbors mind that you feed them?  It's frowned upon where I live but I have a neighbor who does it and stops for a while when the cats get out of control.  Reading aloud wouldn't be my problem with you though.  It would be feeding those cats.

*Call Tyrone*
Valued Contributor

I don't see any problem with reading to them.  It gets them used to humans, and socializes them some.

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Everyone thinks someone else is strange and I don't worry about it unless the person might be ill or a danger to him/herself or others.

Sounds like you might be lonely, and that's not strange, that's the most commonplace thing of all.

You might find this story on children reading to shelter animals very interesting: http://www.hsmo.org/education/shelter-buddies-reading.html

Lastly, are those feral cats spayed or neutered? If not, everyone involved would be better off if you took the cats a clinic on a free spay/neuter day instead than reading to them. After that, read to them all you want - there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you can't get them spayed/neutered, contact a rescue group who may be able to help. I'm a lot more concerned with that issue than I am about anyone reading to animals.

I don't understand the assumption that she is lonely. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@occasionalrain   It is your yard. If you enjoy the friendship of wild cats and want read to them more power to you. Your mrs Kravitz  neighbor needs to butt out.

No, you don't understand that these feral cats will not just stay in her yard.  They will go everywhere and into others' yards.  Thats the problem with feral cats.  She could be causing a nuisance for her neighbors @SeaMaiden.

*Call Tyrone*